PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network no longer on Comcast as of May 1?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 2 or 3 years ago the cable company around here, Time/Warner shutdown NFL Network, I immediately got Dish Network (as long as I can get Patriots Celtics and Red Sox games I'm happy). I love it, the best think that could have happened. Great picture, and I have it hooked up in 4 rooms at a good price. All I can say is that the cable companies can shove it.

NFL Network comes in crystal clear on FIOS. If they run the lines in your town I suggest you switch. The internet is blazing fast. 20 up 20 down. Between DirectTV and Fios, Comcast is getting it's ass kicked. They can't even compete with FIOS. Have you seen any of the marketing lately? They only target DirectTV because they know they just can't give all the channels. I switched because I could save money and get more channels and much better service. Make the change!!

I live just north of Dallas and we had lots of rain last year. The only times I lost my DirecTV signal was when it was downpouring in sheets practically. That happened about 3 times last year.

Cable purposely lies about how often Satellite loses picture due to weather issues.

I agree with this Dabruinz, but stretching the truth is nothing new for cable. In fact, cable companies typically exaggerate about a lot of things such as the number of channels available in HD. They include their onDemand channels as separate entities from their on-air channels. So if Comcast says they have more HD than DirecTv, it is because they include HBO-HD and HBO's onDemand programming separately. In fact, one must order most premium channels and include their onDemand HD content to receive as many HD channels as DirecTv offers with a 2nd tier subscription.

The weather thing with Directv is crap, it's just marketing hype by Comcast and the like. Over the years I have lost the signal only a couple of times due to weather and in each case it was raining so hard I could barely see our cars in the driveway. In addition all of this lasted a total of 2 minutes and then it was back to normal.

The weather thing with Directv is crap, it's just marketing hype by Comcast and the like. Over the years I have lost the signal only a couple of times due to weather and in each case it was raining so hard I could barely see our cars in the driveway. In addition all of this lasted a total of 2 minutes and then it was back to normal.

Agreed. When I lived in Maine, I had DirecTV, and the only time I lost my signal was during snowstorms sometimes. Even then, I'd walk outside, brush the snow out of the inside of the dish, and it would be back to normal.

If this happens we can also thank our friend Arlen Specter, who has taken tons of money from Comcast lobbyists over the years to fight the NFL Network as well as other channels like ESPNU.

I will be honest though. If it wasn't for Sunday Ticket, I would go with DiSH or FIOS because DirecTV is starting to get as expensive as cable.

Given my position as a Comcast employee, I'm purposely trying to stay out of this. However...

The NFL isn't pretending its doing it for the fan, though the fans do get the benefit. Its about money and Comcast is the one claiming it will hurt all its subscribers. And that is what is BS.
Actually, the NFL IS pretending they're fighting for their fans. Check this out from one of their own web sites:

We are committed to NFL fans, and don’t want them to pay more for the best NFL coverage all year round. We want our fans to continue to enjoy all the benefits of NFL Network.

What the NFL doesn't mention on that web site was that at last check, they were asking Comcast for distribution on their most widely subscribed to package, and a monthly subscriber fee that would make it one of the ten most expensive channels that Comcast provides.

In the last year, Comcast's programming expenses have increased by nearly 25%. From Comcast's point of view, this is all about trying to keep programming costs in check. They battled hard with MLB Network over programming fees, and for the most part, they've kept the specialty sports channels out of their standard packages. The notable exception is Golf Network, which they carry on favorable terms and which broadcasts a far greater number of live sports hours than NFLN.

Between DirectTV and Fios, Comcast is getting it's ass kicked. They can't even compete with FIOS.
Depends on how you define getting our asses kicked.

Are we losing basic TV subs? Yes. But we're losing far fewer than we thought we would, and those that are staying with us are choosing to upgrade to digital services at a pretty encouraging rate. That becomes a good news story for us because our studies show that our VOD product is immensely popular and one of our biggest customer retention tools.

We're also still adding High Speed Data and Digital Voice subscribers at a surprisingly strong rate. In fact, we ended the last fiscal year with 4.1 million more "RGUs" than we had at the end of 2007. And there are communities in Massachusetts where FiOS has been available for a significant time where we feel we're winning more households than they are.

In fact, cable companies typically exaggerate about a lot of things such as the number of channels available in HD. They include their onDemand channels as separate entities from their on-air channels. So if Comcast says they have more HD than DirecTv, it is because they include HBO-HD and HBO's onDemand programming separately. In fact, one must order most premium channels and include their onDemand HD content to receive as many HD channels as DirecTv offers with a 2nd tier subscription.
The advertising is worded very specifically. Comcast never claims to have more HD "channels" than DirecTV or FiOS or anyone, really. We do claim to have the most HD "choices", which does include VOD programs.

The selling point is when a customer sits down to watch a program on his new $3,500+ HD Theater setup, does he go with the 60-70 linear channels from satellite, or in an era where "time shifting" is becoming increasingly popular, does he choose a provider that can not only offer him a decent number of linear channels, but also provides a library of a couple hundred HD programs from a VOD library?

Some choose the linear channels, others enjoy the VOD choices. I find that satellite customers almost always underrate the appeal of Comcast VOD - it's tremendously popular with our customers. We just passed the 11 Billion (...yes, with a "B") mark in VOD orders. And contrary to your post, most of it is neither premium nor pay content.

You can't get RCN? I live in an apt building and I switched over to them 6 months ago. I get NFL Network along with MLB Net, NHL Net and ESPN U.

I checked into RCN and Verizon. Both aren't available in my area apparently.

if you live in norwood, ma. the town has their own broadband company (tv, internet, voice) and i believe the nfl network is part of their digital basic package and you do not have to pay extra for the channel saving you around 8 bucks a month.

I just switched to Direct TV and was pleasantly surprised that with the Choice package.. I got MLB network and the NFL network.. the Choice package is one up from the standard package and right now is 34.99 a month. So I have to agree with the others that have DirectTV.. the only thing I miss from Comcast is the On Demand stuff.. but I can live with that while I save money.

I had been a Comcast subscriber for years and just like all the other providers out there, the one thing that burns me to no end is how as a long time subscriber there is absolutely NOTHING good about being loyal. I get charged more, I can never qualify for the rates that new subscribers get so it's like I have to play the game of switching once a year in order to save any money and pay reasonable rates for TV. All the companies should learn this lesson, but all their marketing efforts are targeting new subscribers and giving the shaft to existing subscribers which is ass backwards. So I will have Direct TV for at least 13 months.. and then I will probably sign back on with FIOS, Comcast or something else to get the best price available and not to get taken to the cleaners by these companies.

I just switched to Direct TV and was pleasantly surprised that with the Choice package.. I got MLB network and the NFL network.. the Choice package is one up from the standard package and right now is 34.99 a month. So I have to agree with the others that have DirectTV.. the only thing I miss from Comcast is the On Demand stuff.. but I can live with that while I save money.

I had been a Comcast subscriber for years and just like all the other providers out there, the one thing that burns me to no end is how as a long time subscriber there is absolutely NOTHING good about being loyal. I get charged more, I can never qualify for the rates that new subscribers get so it's like I have to play the game of switching once a year in order to save any money and pay reasonable rates for TV. All the companies should learn this lesson, but all their marketing efforts are targeting new subscribers and giving the shaft to existing subscribers which is ass backwards. So I will have Direct TV for at least 13 months.. and then I will probably sign back on with FIOS, Comcast or something else to get the best price available and not to get taken to the cleaners by these companies.

I have also been a ComCast subscriber since they moved into the area several years ago. Despite all their tomfool advertising and bluster, we get a pretty craptacular package for our money here in Maine. You see, Maine is a 3rd world nation, technology-wise. We have no FIOS. Our major phone service is a bunch of backwater hick type carpetbaggers from North Carolina who bought out verizon and can't find their own asses with both hands. As tp ComCast, though, I pay the same rates as folks in Mass, but can't get any On Demand service. I also can't get their digital phone service. I paid this month's bill today, and told the representative I spoke with after paying it that if they drop the NFL channel, then I'm gone too.

If it comes down to it, I'm not even gonna go with the dish. I'm gonna hook up my computer to the flat screen, and between that and NetFlix, I can get most of what I want to watch. If the game gets put on NFLN, then I'll either have to do without, or go down to the sportspub.

respects,

I live just north of Dallas and we had lots of rain last year. The only times I lost my DirecTV signal was when it was downpouring in sheets practically. That happened about 3 times last year.

Cable purposely lies about how often Satellite loses picture due to weather issues.

Believe me, I'm not exactly a big fan of the cable pig, and wouldn't take their word for it. I'm just basing it on my own experience, and I've seen it happen often enough to make me think it may be bothersome to me. Perhaps it's not as bad as I perceive, though. I've asked my friends that have satellite, and they consider it an annoyance, albeit a small one, and they still would rather have DTV.

I also recall one of the satellite providers running an ad campaign claiming that cable outages were as or more frequent than satellite outages, which actually made me go "HUH?", as I haven't experienced a cable outage in many years. Well, except for a couple times I forgot to pay the bill. :D

People I know swear by the superior quality/quantity of the HDTV with satellite, though. I don't have an HDTV (GASP!!!), but when I eventually get around to getting one, I'll probably reconsider getting DTV, especially if there aren't additional charges for HDTV programming as there are with my cable provider.

Last edited:
[QUOTE As tp ComCast, though, I pay the same rates as folks in Mass, but can't get any On Demand service. I also can't get their digital phone service. ,[/QUOTE]

I hear you my fellow Mainer. I talked to a comcast agent a couple of years ago and was told "Oh yeah, On Demand will be available in a couple of months" Well I'm still waiting and for the $90+ bucks I'm paying them I get about 15 HD channels most of which I'm not interested in. And now they want to take the NFLN away. I pay comcast, not the NFLN for my channels. If they have to suck it up to continue giveing me a channel I already have then that's what they need to do. WE already pay enough. thank you for letting me vent, i yeald the rest of my time.

This is GREAT NEWS, I am a FIOS sales manager. If anyone needs more info about signing up feel free to contact me at 978-995-2706 or emailing me at [email protected].

This is GREAT NEWS, I am a FIOS sales manager. If anyone needs more info about signing up feel free to contact me at 978-995-2706 or emailing me at [email protected].

When am I going to get FIOS in Auburn? Guaranteed sale, once you do :)

Problem with FIOS is penetration - you only went with the high-per capita towns in MA, leaving the rest of us flapping in the breeze...

Problem with FIOS is penetration - you only went with the high-per capita towns in MA, leaving the rest of us flapping in the breeze...

It's weird. I've been waiting for FIOS in Lowell with no end in sight. It must be a matter of how easy it is for them to install the infrastructure. Either that, or there must be bureaucratic red tape that has to be cut through with the individual municipalities for authorization to proceed. You've got to wonder if outfits like Comcast throw up roadblocks to complicate the process.

I would love to get FIOS, but it's not available where I live (Comcast is and my house is surrounded by trees so no dish). I guess you have to go with what you can get.

I would love to get FIOS, but it's not available where I live (Comcast is and my house is surrounded by trees so no dish). I guess you have to go with what you can get.

How tall are the trees? And how many block the view of the southern sky?

Believe it or not I can sell it all day long and I still cant get it myself in Quincy. Rural towns were first chosen because its far easier to string lines on poles than it is to run underground, Boston wont have it for a while. But its more than that,each town has the power(or comcast has the influence) to let FIOS in or not. They also are well paid for the privalege. Now that FIOS has shown what a benefit it is alot more towns have jumped on and signed up...but it takes months or longer to wire a town and longer than that to negotiate. Given the economy Verizon has also cut back on its towns, slowed the scheduled open dates etc. But right now we are taking 60-75% of the market and the gap is widening. The commercials are true,lol. Fitchburg and Milford open in the next couple weeks, Westford too. Anyone from these towns or where existing service exists can contact me, I have the best deals in town! Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents