Welcome to PatsFans.com

NFL Network no longer on Comcast as of May 1?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by patsfan55, Mar 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

This is not good
    this is not good at all
    I knew they were battling, but what happened?!?
  2. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  3. SoCal Pmen

SoCal Pmen Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

One word - DirecTV. Best money you can spend if you're a football fan.
  4. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If you live in a large apartment building you don't have much choice. Comcast is a frikkin monopoly it's sickening.
  5. Tunescribe

Tunescribe PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0

#61 Jersey

I posted in another thread on this: I spoke with a Comcast customer service agent today who told me there is no specific plan to drop NFLN. She said the company is in negotiations with the NFL and that the May 1 reference is just "hearsay."

I'm with you, though. NFLN is the channel I watch more than any other, and I'm paying Comcast a premium for it.
  6. JDSal45

JDSal45 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

This must be several years old. They moved NFL Network from the basic plan and charged an extra $5 several years ago. I believe there has been ongoing litigation about it. I don't believe this is anything new and if you have NFL Network on Comcast now, you're already paying the extra $5.

J D Sal
  7. APatrioticVirginian

APatrioticVirginian Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Too true cable sucks. I have the HdDVR and get the Sunday ticket.
  8. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It had a floating banner across the screen tonight.
    I know all about the extra package.
  9. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Nope.I received an email from NFL.com saying that NFLN wouldn't be on Comcast as of tomorrow. Doesn't affect me as I have DirecTV.
  10. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Please let this be an April fool's joke
  11. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

I got Verizon Fios being installed in my town right now and should have that within a couple months. There the NFL network is free.
  12. pats60

pats60 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

On comcast cable message box
    it said it won`t carry nfl as of May 1.
    I just ordered Direct today . I will save over $45.00 a month than 1m paying now. At
    least for a year .
  13. Rob0729

Rob0729 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +59 / 1 / -0

The problem with DirecTV is the cost of the Sunday Ticket has spiraled out of control. If you want to get all the games in HD, you gotta take out a second mortgage on your house. I would have DirecTV just for football otherwise.
  14. patsfan55

patsfan55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I pay comcast $180 a month and now I can't even get NFL Network?!?
    that's obsurd
  15. Patsfanaustin

Patsfanaustin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I love my Direct TV as well. Worth every penny with the NFL Network and regional sports channels. The Sunday Ticket IS expensive, but at least they let you pay it out in installments during the season.
  16. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Directv is fantastic. My parents have Comcast and they are always talking about channels being taken off their package so they will be forced to upgrade to a different package. I've had Directv for years without any complaints, ya the NFL ticket is high...but at least I can get the pats games. I can't remember once Directv ripping channels to force me to up my package, and I have the bottom package I believe.

It sucks for people in apartment buildings that dont' allow it. (although I know guys that rig it to their patio anyway) However if you have a house I highly recommend it!
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  17. nashvillepatsfan

nashvillepatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I was on their site, and it doesnt list a price. How much is sunday ticket?
  18. Gator Mike

Gator Mike Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I've worked for Comcast for a few years now and trust me when I say that these things usually get worked out at the very last minute. Last year, we were told that we wouldn't be carrying MLB Extra Innings - and then a week into the season, we were told that we had reacquired the rights.

Let's face it - it's not in Comcast's interest to p*ss off football fans, and it's not in the NFL's interest to lose subscriber revenue from the nation's largest cable company.

I could be wrong, but I still think something will get worked out.
  19. SpiderFox53

SpiderFox53 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I paid 250.00 for it last year. If you wait to get DirecTV until just before the season, they always run a special that gives you their premium package for free for 3 months if you also buy Sunday ticket.

EDIT: If you buy the package that gets you all games in HD instead of just a couple a week, it's an extra 100.00.

Given the new contract extension that supposedly just happened, Sunday ticket will probably go up again this year.
  20. ScottieC

ScottieC Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

It about $$'s and fighting over who get's more.

I'm sick of it - I'm going to Direct TV. This was the final straw for me.
  21. alvinnf

alvinnf Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

We have'nt been able to get NFL network at our old house. I was never able to pull the trigger on Direct TV, just not feeling it. We just purchased a new house in a town that has metrocast, whom carries the NFL netwrok. The reality of all my previous words is, the whole thing is just a crock of SH*T. Consumers should be able to chose their cable providers and also their teir of involvement. The fact is all these companies are screwing us the people whom are paying the bill. It's a racket.
  22. MrTibbs

MrTibbs Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My friend, comcast and cable in general is complete garbage compared to direct TV in regars to cost and picture quality. Do yourself a favor and make the change, you will save yourself a good amount of money in the process.
  23. cavtroop

cavtroop Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Whats the deal with Direct TV? I have lots of trees in the neighborhood - if I purchase DirectTV, and then can't get a signal, and I up the creek?

The contracts they make you sign make me nervous, I prefer being month to month...
  24. Bigdogx

Bigdogx Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I'm about right there with you scottie, I'm getting sick of this garbage comcast is trying to pull! NFL network does not want it's customers forced to pay 8 bucks more a month for some crap sports tier package when all they want is that one channel to watch the one game a week they put on.

There is no excuse for comcast to deny this, i hope they realize that they will lose a good portion of customers that will never come back to their service. I really don't want to go over to a sat dish as i was hoping verizon would get off it's a@@ and realize there is more to Massachusetts then whats on the eastern side but looks like my hand might get forced into becoming a sat subscriber.
  25. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Directv and Dish Network are indeed cheaper, and every channel comes in crystal clear. Really, the only reason anyone should ever choose cable is if they live in an apartment building where Dish or directv aren't allowed, or they can't receive a strong signal due to tree line issues.

Also, I personally think Dish Network gives you more bang for the buck than Directv. Their basic services are very similar, yet Dish cost less, especially for someone who wants service in more than one room.
  26. sebman2112

sebman2112 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sometimes people run into issues when it comes to receiving a signal, but unless you live in the middle of the forest or have a giant tree right in front of your chosen installation point, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, when installing the dish on a rooftop the tech can use a boom to help clear obstructions, but they rarely have to go that far.

Just wanted to add that if they can't install service at your house then you shouldn't have any problems with contracts.
  27. mtbykr

mtbykr Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I have lots of trees as well, and they just mounted it to the chimney so they could get a clear SW view. They mounted it in a way where you can't see it from the front of the house, so my wife was happy. They can mount it anywhere in your yard/house that gets them the clear view and then just run cables. When you call, and just call 1-800-DIRECTV....they include everything including free install. When the tech comes to your house, if for some strange reason he can't get it to work...then there is zero cost to you.
  28. bakes781

bakes781 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You can't get RCN? I live in an apt building and I switched over to them 6 months ago. I get NFL Network along with MLB Net, NHL Net and ESPN U.
  29. Patsfanaustin

Patsfanaustin Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My apartment complex let me get Direct TV. I had to give them $100 deposit and agree not to attach it to the building. I have mine mounted on a pole in a bucket of cement. I've had it almost two years with zero problems. I was going to sports bars to watch the games before I got the Sunday Ticket, which was costing me more every week than it does now and I get to watch the games in my jammies
  30. patriots pam

patriots pam Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have Brighthouse (TimeWarner) cable and they don't offer NFLN at all. I won't get DirectTV because I live in Florida, and the rain disrupting the signal is a big problem here. In the summer (read: about 8 months of the year), it rains pretty much everyday for an hour or so, at least. I go to a local pub with DTV to watch the games during football season. It's more fun to watch with friends (and enemies! :D), and if the game does get disrupted, it doesn't seem quite as bad when the beer is flowing!

Although, I still wish that Brighthouse would offer NFLN, even if I had to pay a premium for it, so I wouldn't have to rely on ESPN at home. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.