PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL Network no longer on Comcast as of May 1?!?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have'nt been able to get NFL network at our old house. I was never able to pull the trigger on Direct TV, just not feeling it. We just purchased a new house in a town that has metrocast, whom carries the NFL netwrok. The reality of all my previous words is, the whole thing is just a crock of SH*T. Consumers should be able to chose their cable providers and also their teir of involvement. The fact is all these companies are screwing us the people whom are paying the bill. It's a racket.

We have'nt been able to get NFL network at our old house. I was never able to pull the trigger on Direct TV, just not feeling it. We just purchased a new house in a town that has metrocast, whom carries the NFL netwrok. The reality of all my previous words is, the whole thing is just a crock of SH*T. Consumers should be able to chose their cable providers and also their teir of involvement. The fact is all these companies are screwing us the people whom are paying the bill. It's a racket.

My friend, comcast and cable in general is complete garbage compared to direct TV in regars to cost and picture quality. Do yourself a favor and make the change, you will save yourself a good amount of money in the process.

Last edited:
Whats the deal with Direct TV? I have lots of trees in the neighborhood - if I purchase DirectTV, and then can't get a signal, and I up the creek?

The contracts they make you sign make me nervous, I prefer being month to month...

It about $$'s and fighting over who get's more.

I'm sick of it - I'm going to Direct TV. This was the final straw for me.

I'm about right there with you scottie, I'm getting sick of this garbage comcast is trying to pull! NFL network does not want it's customers forced to pay 8 bucks more a month for some crap sports tier package when all they want is that one channel to watch the one game a week they put on.

There is no excuse for comcast to deny this, i hope they realize that they will lose a good portion of customers that will never come back to their service. I really don't want to go over to a sat dish as i was hoping verizon would get off it's a@@ and realize there is more to Massachusetts then whats on the eastern side but looks like my hand might get forced into becoming a sat subscriber.

My friend, comcast and cable in general is complete garbage compared to direct TV in regars to cost and picture quality. Do yourself a favor and make the change, you will save yourself a good amount of money in the process.

Directv and Dish Network are indeed cheaper, and every channel comes in crystal clear. Really, the only reason anyone should ever choose cable is if they live in an apartment building where Dish or directv aren't allowed, or they can't receive a strong signal due to tree line issues.

Also, I personally think Dish Network gives you more bang for the buck than Directv. Their basic services are very similar, yet Dish cost less, especially for someone who wants service in more than one room.

Whats the deal with Direct TV? I have lots of trees in the neighborhood - if I purchase DirectTV, and then can't get a signal, and I up the creek?

The contracts they make you sign make me nervous, I prefer being month to month...

Sometimes people run into issues when it comes to receiving a signal, but unless you live in the middle of the forest or have a giant tree right in front of your chosen installation point, it shouldn't be a problem. Also, when installing the dish on a rooftop the tech can use a boom to help clear obstructions, but they rarely have to go that far.

Just wanted to add that if they can't install service at your house then you shouldn't have any problems with contracts.

Last edited:

I have lots of trees as well, and they just mounted it to the chimney so they could get a clear SW view. They mounted it in a way where you can't see it from the front of the house, so my wife was happy. They can mount it anywhere in your yard/house that gets them the clear view and then just run cables. When you call, and just call 1-800-DIRECTV....they include everything including free install. When the tech comes to your house, if for some strange reason he can't get it to work...then there is zero cost to you.

If you live in a large apartment building you don't have much choice. Comcast is a frikkin monopoly it's sickening.

You can't get RCN? I live in an apt building and I switched over to them 6 months ago. I get NFL Network along with MLB Net, NHL Net and ESPN U.

My apartment complex let me get Direct TV. I had to give them $100 deposit and agree not to attach it to the building. I have mine mounted on a pole in a bucket of cement. I've had it almost two years with zero problems. I was going to sports bars to watch the games before I got the Sunday Ticket, which was costing me more every week than it does now and I get to watch the games in my jammies

I have Brighthouse (TimeWarner) cable and they don't offer NFLN at all. I won't get DirectTV because I live in Florida, and the rain disrupting the signal is a big problem here. In the summer (read: about 8 months of the year), it rains pretty much everyday for an hour or so, at least. I go to a local pub with DTV to watch the games during football season. It's more fun to watch with friends (and enemies! :D), and if the game does get disrupted, it doesn't seem quite as bad when the beer is flowing!

Although, I still wish that Brighthouse would offer NFLN, even if I had to pay a premium for it, so I wouldn't have to rely on ESPN at home. :(

Last edited:
I think the dispute about the tiers is still in court, but the main contract between the NFL and Comcast is supposed to expire the end of April. I read that on the net. I got the cable box message about 2 weeks ago, and went looking.

So I guess they have to have a new contract in place by May 1st. I have no idea if thats even possible if they are still fighting about the tier issue. Either way for me, it means I won't have to pay for the soccer channels anymore.

Either way for me, it means I won't have to pay for the soccer channels anymore.

I for one would be pretty happy to have FSC without needing the sports package.

This is just a power play by the NFL after signing their new contract with Direct TV. I spend the money for the sports package and I don't complain. I'm not going to change to Direct TV for the NFL Network. The NFL wants to pretend they are doing this for the fan. Baloney.

I also live in FL and I love my Directv. Rain Fade hasn't been that much of a problem. If I could just get Verizon Fios for my internet I could have those useless ****heads at Brighthouse completely out of my house.

NFL Network and access to Sunday Ticket was the reason why I switched. Overall everything has been better on Directv, best move I ever made.

The problem with DirecTV is the cost of the Sunday Ticket has spiraled out of control. If you want to get all the games in HD, you gotta take out a second mortgage on your house. I would have DirecTV just for football otherwise.

Spiralled out of control? Its still cheaper to watch the games on DirecTV than it is to go to a bar every weekend.

NFL Sunday Ticket was $329 for me last year and $99 for the HD package. That gets me 17 weeks of games in HD. Is a bit over $25 a game. Which is cheaper than going to the games.

I paid 250.00 for it last year. If you wait to get DirecTV until just before the season, they always run a special that gives you their premium package for free for 3 months if you also buy Sunday ticket.

EDIT: If you buy the package that gets you all games in HD instead of just a couple a week, it's an extra 100.00.

Given the new contract extension that supposedly just happened, Sunday ticket will probably go up again this year.

The contract extension with the NFL happened 2 years ago and is set through 2012. The price should stay the same. In 2012, the NFL has to open it up to bidding again or make a decision as to what they are going to do. And a LOT of that will depend on the economy, their fight with Comcast, and whether or not DISH, Time Warner or someone else steps up to try and get Sunday Ticket.

There are always options. You can mount it to a stand that raises the antenna above the height of the trees. You can also just call DirecTV and ask them what the situation really is.

I have Brighthouse (TimeWarner) cable and they don't offer NFLN at all. I won't get DirectTV because I live in Florida, and the rain disrupting the signal is a big problem here. In the summer (read: about 8 months of the year), it rains pretty much everyday for an hour or so, at least. I go to a local pub with DTV to watch the games during football season. It's more fun to watch with friends (and enemies! :D), and if the game does get disrupted, it doesn't seem quite as bad when the beer is flowing!

Although, I still wish that Brighthouse would offer NFLN, even if I had to pay a premium for it, so I wouldn't have to rely on ESPN at home. :(

I live just north of Dallas and we had lots of rain last year. The only times I lost my DirecTV signal was when it was downpouring in sheets practically. That happened about 3 times last year.

Cable purposely lies about how often Satellite loses picture due to weather issues.

This is just a power play by the NFL after signing their new contract with Direct TV. I spend the money for the sports package and I don't complain. I'm not going to change to Direct TV for the NFL Network. The NFL wants to pretend they are doing this for the fan. Baloney.

This issue was going on before the NFL signed its new contracts with DirecTV, ABC, FOX, and NBC. Its not about the Sunday Ticket Package at all. Its about the NFLNetwork which Comcast has changed from its basic to its sports package.

The NFL isn't pretending its doing it for the fan, though the fans do get the benefit. Its about money and Comcast is the one claiming it will hurt all its subscribers. And that is what is BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down