PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NFL.com: Broncos chasing 2007 Pats

I think the comparisons are fair, honestly it's what came to my mind watching last night. Also, you can't buy into the idea that Brady isn't fading with age if you're going to bring up Manning's age difference as a disqualifier.

Moss>Thomas BUT he's also got Welker who imo is probably at least 85-90% of what he was in 2007, Decker who is a very good WR that had a bad game, Julius Thomas who looks like an emerging stud TE and Ronnie Hillman. Just kidding, Ronnie Hillman sucks, but then again we had Maroney so it's kind of a wash there. I think you can probably say the defenses are comparable also. Plus the AFC is probably around the weakest it's been in the last decade.

My only question is Manning's arm strength which imo is noticeably diminished. He is such a cerebral QB that he can overcome it to a certain extent but there were a lot of wounded ducks last night and throws >20 yards in the cold in November and December are going to be a bit of a struggle which is imo why they pushed for Welker on top of Decker. We'll see but I certainly don't have my jimmies rustled over the comparisons.

not only that, the broncos defense doesn't even come close to the pats 2007 defense. von miller coming off of steroid suspension won't be the same - they never are after they get caught. and champ bailey is almost 40 years old.

The overreaction of the media after the first week of the season each year is unbelievable. They aren't even waiting for the completion of the first week. They are making grandieous predictions after one game.

I saw a lot of flaws in that Broncos team on Thursday. I just saw tons of more flaws with the Ravens.

I honestly don't care if they break our scoring record or if Manning breaks Brady's touchdown record. I just want the Pats to quit shooting themselves in the foot and win a Super Bowl.

If Julius Thomas isn't a fluke and follows the ways of Antonio Gates/Jimmy Graham of basketball TEs, they have the best weapon foursome since the 2004 Colts. (Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, Clark)

Welker: Top 10 WR
D. Thomas: Top 10 WR
Decker: Top 30 WR
J. Thomas: Top 5-10 TE (possibly, too early to tell)

They also have a top 3 QB commanding it.

I'd say the Broncos on paper have the best offense since 07. While we had one of the best 1-2 punches in NFL history, this team has much better 3/4 options.

Hell, we had the best offense on paper (and results) since 07 last year! Sadly, the foursome was never healthy and Lloyd really limited the offense.

Luckily, I think the noodle arm and the Broncos crappy runninggame will limit them from reaching an offense like 07.

Also, I can't wait til we play them. We've averaged 39ppg the last two seasons vs. them, and that's when their defense wasn't mediocre.

If Julius Thomas isn't a fluke and follows the ways of Antonio Gates/Jimmy Graham of basketball TEs, they have the best weapon foursome since the 2004 Colts. (Harrison, Wayne, Stokley, Clark)

Welker: Top 10 WR
D. Thomas: Top 10 WR
Decker: Top 30 WR
J. Thomas: Top 5-10 TE (possibly, too early to tell)

They also have a top 3 QB commanding it.

I'd say the Broncos on paper have the best offense since 07. While we had one of the best 1-2 punches in NFL history, this team has much better 3/4 options.

Hell, we had the best offense on paper (and results) since 07 last year! Sadly, the foursome was never healthy and Lloyd really limited the offense.

Luckily, I think the noodle arm and the Broncos crappy runninggame will limit them from reaching an offense like 07.

Also, I can't wait til we play them. We've averaged 39ppg the last two seasons vs. them, and that's when their defense wasn't mediocre.

Agreed. They also have a cake schedule on paper this year while we had one of the tougher schedules in the NFL back in 2007. I could really give a damn about 2007 anymore. Put that **** to bed and just win the damn big game this year.

the only problem with them going 16-0 is they are playing in foxborough week 12

I honestly don't care if they break our scoring record or if Manning breaks Brady's touchdown record. I just want the team to quit shooting itself in the foot and win a Super Bowl.

No, I want Denver to keep shooting itself in the foot :rolleyes:

the only problem with them going 16-0 is they are playing in foxborough week 12

I said it days ago but I'll repeat...
Would love them to go 16-0, then 17-1 with the 1 by you know who in late Jan 2014

No, I want Denver to keep shooting itself in the foot :rolleyes:

That'll happen in January by default. I'd like to see it not happen to us in either the same month, or the next month.

EDIT: My word choice was piss poor in that post, so I went back and modified it lest anybody think I want Denver to win the Super Bowl. :ugh:

Denver better get a running game or a lot of what they did Thursday will not work for long. The Broncos used a lot of play action and pistol formation to stop the pass rush. The Broncos' o-line had a lot of issues with the rush when the Ravens did send pressure.

The 2007 Patriots had a slightly above average running game. They were 13th in total yards (1849 yards), 14th in YPA (4.1 YPA), 13th in YPG (115.6 YPG), and 5th in rushing TDs (17).

If Thursday is any indication, the Broncos are going to have one of the worst running games in the league. They had 2.8 yards per carry for 65 yards. When they tried to run three times to run down the clock in the 4th, they got seven total yards including losing two yards on a third and one.

If the Broncos don't turn his running game around soon and get at least an average running game, look for their offensive production to go down. Teams will not bite on the play action or fear the run. They can play a nickel base all the time. In 2007, the Pats rushed enough for the opposing teams to have to respect the run and bite into the play-action.

Denver better get a running game or a lot of what they did Thursday will not work for long. The Broncos used a lot of play action and pistol formation to stop the pass rush. The Broncos' o-line had a lot of issues with the rush when the Ravens did send pressure.

The 2007 Patriots had a slightly above average running game. They were 13th in total yards (1849 yards), 14th in YPA (4.1 YPA), 13th in YPG (115.6 YPG), and 5th in rushing TDs (17).

If Thursday is any indication, the Broncos are going to have one of the worst running games in the league. They had 2.8 yards per carry for 65 yards. When they tried to run three times to run down the clock in the 4th, they got seven total yards including losing two yards on a third and one.

If the Broncos don't turn his running game around soon and get at least an average running game, look for their offensive production to go down. Teams will not bite on the play action or fear the run. They can play a nickel base all the time. In 2007, the Pats rushed enough for the opposing teams to have to respect the run and bite into the play-action.

They'll eventually start Montee Ball in spite of his blocking issues. He's easily the best RB they have on their squad and was arguably one of the best RB's in the nation during his time at Wisconsin. When that happens, Denver will have it's running game.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Peyton broke Brady's TD record. That team has literally no run game. On Thursday night, every single score was a TD pass, and I'd look for more of that this season because they don't really have another way to score.

not only that, the broncos defense doesn't even come close to the pats 2007 defense. von miller coming off of steroid suspension won't be the same - they never are after they get caught. and champ bailey is almost 40 years old.

Miller wasn't suspended for PEDs, it was substance abuse, and not even for a failed drug test. Something like not going to a counseling session. I'm guessing the counseling is marijuana-related, because he has a history of that, and if that's true, there's no reason to predict a dropoff in production.

They'll eventually start Montee Ball in spite of his blocking issues. He's easily the best RB they have on their squad and was arguably one of the best RB's in the nation during his time at Wisconsin. When that happens, Denver will have it's running game.

Montee Ball has looked really, really mediocre thus far. Right now he is the third best RB on their roster. Both Moreno and Hillman have outplayed him all preseason even when the Broncos gave him plenty of opportunities.

And we have seen plenty of awesome college RBs become very ordinary in the NFL. He dropped to late in the second round because there are questions about whether he is too slow for the NFL level. This is a big problem with the Broncos' weak o-line that will not be able to keep hole open for long.

I am not sold on Ball. It looks like if he will emerge, it is going to be a long while until he does. He is deep on the depth chart for them right now.

Honestly, I wouldn't be at all surprised if Peyton broke Brady's TD record. That team has literally no run game. On Thursday night, every single score was a TD pass, and I'd look for more of that this season because they don't really have another way to score.

If this were 2004, I could see Manning topping 50 TD's (that's also if one game is an accurate portrayal of this offense which is also unsure). But I highly doubt that right now he can handle the workload Brady had in 2007 and be as good, even if their offense is as potent as it looks.

Sadly, teams have proven you can have a prolific offense with a bad/terrible runninggame. (2011 Patriots, 2011 Packers)

That has always been the difference between a Brady and Manning offense. The Pats run the ball a lot in the red zone. Manning is throwing a heck of a lot more in the red zone.

As I pointed out in a previous post, the Pats scored 17 rushing TDs in 2007. The two Welker TDs on Thursday night would be rushing plays for a lot of teams. I would have bet if the Pats were in the same position, Ridley would have at least one of those TDs.

Sadly, teams have proven you can have a prolific offense with a bad/terrible runninggame. (2011 Patriots, 2011 Packers)

The Pats had a below average, but not terrible running game. They were 20th in total yards, but they still had 18 rushing TDs and got 110.3 rushing yards a game with 4.0 YPA. Still significantly better than what we saw out Denver on Thursday.

And the Packers were one and done in the playoffs in 2011. Kinda proving that a terrible running game will catch up to you in the playoffs.

And 2011 was a fluky year all together. The lockout really affected defenses that year and there was an offensive explosion. Things settled back down last year.

After Monday, there will be 16 teams chasing the 2007 Pats, and the Pats will probably be one of them.

Montee Ball has looked really, really mediocre thus far. Right now he is the third best RB on their roster. Both Moreno and Hillman have outplayed him all preseason even when the Broncos gave him plenty of opportunities.

Montee Ball was put on the bench because the Broncos are a passing offense and his blocking is sub-par. From a pure running standpoint, he looked lightyears better than Hillman and Moreno on the limited opportunities he got Thursday night.

And we have seen plenty of awesome college RBs become very ordinary in the NFL. He dropped to late in the second round because there are questions about whether he is too slow for the NFL level. This is a big problem with the Broncos' weak o-line that will not be able to keep hole open for long.

Broncos OL was fine when it comes to run blocking. They're going to be an achilles heel when it comes to pass blocking. Another reason Ball dropped was because of concerns that Wisconsin ran the tread off of him in college, which is a legitimate concern. But you're reading the reports from the same guys that you probably killed when they said bad things about Belichick's draft picks for, and not watching him so I can understand where you're getting the "too slow" opinion from. I've watched a good amount of Ball in college, and I can tell you that it's pretty thoroughly untrue

I am not sold on Ball. It looks like if he will emerge, it is going to be a long while until he does. He is deep on the depth chart for them right now.

He'll be in their starting line-up by the end of the season in spite of his blocking woes because, as you correctly stated, they're going to need a competent running game which they're not going to get with Moreno (who sucks) and Hillman (JAG).

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Back