PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Off-season Effect of Losing to Peyton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of Peyton, it turns out that he is experiencing a similar path like Brady last year. Everyone thought Brady was done, he ended up winning the Super Bowl with a scandal to top it. Now that Manning has reached the Super Bowl with his own scandal, Will he end up winning like Brady?

Speaking of Peyton, it turns out that he is experiencing a similar path like Brady last year. Everyone thought Brady was done, he ended up winning the Super Bowl with a scandal to top it. Now that Manning has reached the Super Bowl with his own scandal, Will he end up winning like Brady?
Pretty significant difference in that any whispers that Brady was done was based off one lousy game early in the season by the team. People are saying Payton is done because… well, because he's probably done.

It's also comical how rampant the Deflate Gate talk was last year while the HGH stuff is getting virtually no play at all. Everyone just wants to talk about Manning's last rodeo and him riding off into the sunset because he's a "good guy."

Now, I'm not naive enough to think Manning is the only one doing stuff like that to fight the effects of father time. Who knows what Brady does - the guy has been moving and playing like he's 29 not 39, and has links to a suspicious trainer. But the complete non-issue the HGH stuff has become is puzzling yet unsurprising given it's Manning. If that were Brady, it's all you'd hear about for two weeks.

I understand the cliche of saying every loss is taken extremely hard by Bill and company, but i just don't buy that. These guys are humans, not robots. They have emotions and egos. They care greatly about their legacies. Losing to your greatest nemesis over the last 15 years in possibly the last matchup ever with him stings more than a divisional round loss to KC. You can't go out and right the wrong anymore. That 1-3 AFC Championship game record vs Manning is in the books. It leaves an extremely sour taste in your mouth given the early dominance we had over Manning.

Well, we had the same line we had before. It's also the lack of a running game.
Same line as before when?
Its the one we took a knee with 2 minutes left in the half twice, kicked off in OT and were afraid to run an offense with in Miami.
Are you saying the OL we used that game was good before?
And the lack of a running game is BECAUSE the OL sucks.

Same line as before when?
Its the one we took a knee with 2 minutes left in the half twice, kicked off in OT and were afraid to run an offense with in Miami.
Are you saying the OL we used that game was good before?
And the lack of a running game is BECAUSE the OL sucks.

Solder was injured Oct 14.

I'm just confused at how the OP keeps referring to what "Bill and Kraft" did in off seasons following the losses. Did Kraft know that Moss was going to explode? Or is it more likely he wasnt doing much more than basking in the fame of NFL ownership?

This is just another one of those patterns that showed us in a positive light, much like going to the SB every year there is a presidential election ('04, '08, '12), or when we play the NFC East. As we know both of those ended this past season.

Both years (2006 and 2013) saw the team with obvious, and I mean obvious weaknesses, so they addressed them. Big deal. That's what they try to do every year. I'm not sure that losing to Peyton Manning has anything at all to do with the moves.

Only thing about losing to Peyton is it dies something to Bill he starts realizing what the team actually needs and goes out and addresses it

2016 should be a good season but you never know

I'm just confused at how the OP keeps referring to what "Bill and Kraft" did in off seasons following the losses. Did Kraft know that Moss was going to explode? Or is it more likely he wasnt doing much more than basking in the fame of NFL ownership?

My point is, the Patriots don't typically go out in free agency and chase the #1 prize. They talk about adding to the middle part of the roster, and try to sign support/role players to help build up depth rather than chasing the big fish in the pond.

But In 07 they did,with Adalius Thomas. He was in high demand given his skill set and resume on those great Baltimore defenses. And the contract they gave him proved that. Same thing with Revis. Clearly the #1 defensive player on the market as a shutdown corner. And the Pats gave him big money albeit on a short term deal.

Giving up a second round pick for a little known slot receiver is an aggressive move as well. AndvMoss was low risk, but still something atypical of the Pats. When else have the Pats brought in a #1 WR with that kind of potential?

This is just another one of those patterns that showed us in a positive light, much like going to the SB every year there is a presidential election ('04, '08, '12), or when we play the NFC East. As we know both of those ended this past season.

Both years (2006 and 2013) saw the team with obvious, and I mean obvious weaknesses, so they addressed them. Big deal. That's what they try to do every year. I'm not sure that losing to Peyton Manning has anything at all to do with the moves.

IMO, losing to Manning adds a little salt to the wound.

For example, the 2008 pass defense was pretty awful. Maybe not on paper, but when you watched it, it was bad. Asante was gone. Hobbs was exposed. And the rookies from the 08 draft had not shown all that much promise (Wheatley). Guys like Delthea Oneal were starting at CB.

How did Bill address this glaring weakness?

A flier on journeyman Leigh Bodden. And a three year deal with Shawn Springs.

Middle of the pack guys, shopping in the bargain bin.

The #1 guy on the market that year was Nnamdi Asomougha, who at that time was thought of as the type of corner Revis was. The Pats did not pursue him.

That's a far more passive, lower cost approach to addressing the needs than was used in the off seasons following the losses to Manning.

It's an interesting pattern. Personally, i hope that it holds. Would love to see some bold aggressive moves this off-season.

Huh? You said 'we had the same line we had before". You aren't making sense.

I meant the line we had was as healthy as the lines we had before. Solder went down Vollmer was out, Cannon was out, and so were a lot more. The period after Solder went down we won six in a row.

Wasn't meant to be argumentative, just saying we were as healthy or more healthy than during most of that 6 game streak. Lots of teams play with injured lineman by the end of the season. their play wasn't excusable just by injuries IMO. I'm no judge of coaching, but Matt Light for one was pretty adamant about that.

It's still losing to Peyton. That's how everyone looks at it.
You mean every fan on a message board.

I doubt very much that Belichick or the team approaches it this way. If anything, it hurts Belichick and Brady less to lose to their very good friend Manning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3