PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

News regarding extensions for Pats Players

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason is that all of these guys are always one play away from ending their career.

While technically true, it is still pretty rare to hear about career-ending injuries in any given season. Yes, you get your ACLs and other season-ending injuries but generally the value of marquee players is not affected as much by season enders as the value of your middle of the pack players.

If the Pats can get a deal with Hightower done, then it opens up cash for other players as well. He should be the primary focus and then use the money to the the others done..

I am just curious as to how much these guys should be worth. I think hightower's very important. Might they have to overpay a guy like butler. Are they willing to sign some other free agents besides resigning our own guys?

Don't get too team friendly with the deals or else the team won't be to friendly.

.I hope he puts team ahead of greed.

I guess most posters would prefer that players put the team over themselves, their wants, their families and their futures.

In my opinion, it is NOT greed to want to be paid what the market will pay. It is NOT greed to go where you and your family want to be.

I certainly hope that Hightower CHOOSES to play here.

So what is your negotiation style - start at the highest most point and work your way up? Of course they made low offers that is the art of the negotiation. Its like they all say "Its a business" in business if you want to be successful you negotiate the best deals.

Team starting point - low point
Player/Agent Starting Point - high point

then they end up with a deal somewhere in the middle of that range.

Furthermore it has been the history of this team under BB to have a budget number for every position and it is that budgetary discipline that has kept them great for 15+ yrs now......

With some agents, starting lowball offers work. With others, starting reasonable (although certainly not final) offers work.

With many agents, an offer of $5M for Hightower is worst than a waste of time. Such an offer shows that team will likely not be serious, at least not until there are other offers out there.

So, for me, some offers show real interest; some are simply going through the motions.

With some agents, starting lowball offers work. With others, starting reasonable (although certainly not final) offers work.

With many agents, an offer of $5M for Hightower is worst than a waste of time. Such an offer shows that team will likely not be serious, at least not until there are other offers out there.

So, for me, some offers show real interest; some are simply going through the motions.

Well should hightower get luke kuechly type of money? Idk about that. I know he's very important to this team but the pats do it differently then other teams.

Well should hightower get luke kuechly type of money? Idk about that. I know he's very important to this team but the pats do it differently then other teams.

I have not stated an opinion on what we should offer Hightower at this point, or in the off-season. Given his injury history, Hightower might be willing to sign a contract much less that that of Kuechly at this point, depending on the guaranteed amounts.

At this point, I would think the team would focus on more likely targets: Long, Bennett, Cannon, Branch, Ryan and Harmon.

You aren't wrong in what you say, but in a sense you are giving Volin too much credit for his note, because it doesn't take any sources to realize that the team obviously made offers most of their FA's. You don't need "sources" to figure out that none of those offers would make those players the top paid player at their position. However he starts to use code words for cheap and insulting like "team friendly" THEN he is just making it up as he is going along. No one knows what is being offered in these deals. Judging from past experience, while the team doesn't often make a player the top paid player in their position, they've done many that put them in the top 5. And of course, they have given several players like, Gronk, Brady, Seymour, Mankins, etc the top paid player.

Personally I think part of the problem with Collins and Hightower, at least, is the $14MM franchise tag for LB's that was partially caused by big contract guys like Miller and Ware, who are mostly edge rushers, but pushed the franchise number through the roof. They really don't play the same position as Collins and Hightower, yet their contracts (and others) have set the market.

Finally IF the Pats can do deals with Bennett and Hightower, they can lower this year's cap to well over 10MM. Or for example they do a long term deal with Hightower that would lower this year's cap, which would allow them to front load a shorter deal with Bennett so he won't be a cap burden at the end of his contract.

Just some thoughts and I think Volin is a self important mediot who isn't above making it up, based on things we would take for granted as common sense.

I have not stated an opinion on what we should offer Hightower at this point, or in the off-season. Given his injury history, Hightower might be willing to sign a contract much less that that of Kuechly at this point, depending on the guaranteed amounts.

True. I just hope he get's a respectable offer. This team will finally have some cap space.

Harmon deserves to be a starter
So a team like Detroit or Tenn will pay him like one.
Here he is a luxury unless we choose him over Chung or Harmon I dont see that happening.

You aren't wrong in what you say, but in a sense you are giving Volin too much credit for his note, because it doesn't take any sources to realize that the team obviously made offers most of their FA's. You don't need "sources" to figure out that none of those offers would make those players the top paid player at their position. However he starts to use code words for cheap and insulting like "team friendly" THEN he is just making it up as he is going along. No one knows what is being offered in these deals. Judging from past experience, while the team doesn't often make a player the top paid player in their position, they've done many that put them in the top 5. And of course, they have given several players like, Gronk, Brady, Seymour, Mankins, etc the top paid player.

Personally I think part of the problem with Collins and Hightower, at least, is the $14MM franchise tag for LB's that was partially caused by big contract guys like Miller and Ware, who are mostly edge rushers, but pushed the franchise number through the roof. They really don't play the same position as Collins and Hightower, yet their contracts (and others) have set the market.

Finally IF the Pats can do deals with Bennett and Hightower, they can lower this year's cap to well over 10MM. Or for example they do a long term deal with Hightower that would lower this year's cap, which would allow them to front load a shorter deal with Bennett so he won't be a cap burden at the end of his contract.

Just some thoughts and I think Volin is a self important mediot who isn't above making it up, based on things we would take for granted as common sense.

I tend to discuss content, rather than source.

ya right, if Pats had offers out I highly doubt MCI would be the one to get the scoop.

Maybe, maybe not. Not from the team, sure. But an agent could have leaked to the MCI.

I think that BB, not Kraft makes those salary cap calls.
Yes, I'm aware that there is a cash aspect but the Pats/Kraft can afford it and they do spend cash.

I'm so glad we've moved past the idiotic notion that Kraft was Mr. Stingy with the purse strings. The idea that Belichick would continue coaching somewhere where he was being hampered by a miserly owner after he won some rings was one of the dumbest fan theories of all time.

I don't trust this info from Vomitolin, he's fabricating news out of his ass

In Madden I signed Collins to a 7 year 78 Million dollar extension.
Plan to trade Sheard or offer him 5 Million avg a year in Madden he wants 11 Mill a year

As long as the salary cap continues to rise I don't see why any marquee player should sign an extension before the market for their FA period is set. Unless it is extremely generous and sets the market.

People here ***** about BB/Kraft not holding out to players but you always need two to dance. BB's objective is to built a competitive squad and a players objective is to get the best contract they can. Sometimes the best contract means most money and sometimes other factors like respect, being in an ideal scheme ect. play a big role. But ultimately the goals of the GM and those of the pending FA are often clashing and make it pretty difficult to accomplish.

All that being said, it's not even November lets not panic just yet. I suppose both sides are feeling each other out and are getting an idea whether there is a even a reasonable chance or if they are just too far apart.
Yup it's a little early to panic. It sounds like the Ryan Grigson approach. Some will go some will stay and guess what:BILL WILL DO WHATS BEST FOR THE TEAM and I'm ok with that.

The reason is that all of these guys are always one play away from ending their career.

Aaron Hernandez disagrees....

If you are a first round draft pick them yeah, but if your Malcolm Butler and are now playing for peanuts, then signing an extention early (provided it comes with a pay boost to his current salary) makes sense.

Yup it's a little early to panic. It sounds like the Ryan Grigson approach. Some will go some will stay and guess what:BILL WILL DO WHATS BEST FOR THE TEAM and I'm ok with that.

Right. There is a long way to go.

Based on this the Pats will be ~$57m under the cap after this season. There may be a few more restructures, cuts and the cap $ going up so in theory it could go higher than $57m.

The question is it enough to sign High, Collins, Malcolm and Sheard?

I see Ryan and Harmon almost good as gone.

Thats a lot of guaranteed money and cap space used up by 4 players.

New England Patriots 2017 Salary Cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents