PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

New Commish a Doofus

Status
Not open for further replies.

PonyExpress

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Any one else get that impression? I hope I'm wrong, because labor problems are on the horizon. Maybe I'm harsh, but he seeemed like an airhead with zero command presence.

NEM said:
Maybe so,but I am sure he laughs all the way to the bank.
I believe his dad was Senator of New York, so he's been laughing in the bank since he was a toddler.;)

PonyExpress said:
Any one else get that impression? I hope I'm wrong, because labor problems are on the horizon. Maybe I'm harsh, but he seeemed like an airhead with zero command presence.

I think it's way to harsh and judgemental to call him an airhead.

But I do understand what you mean by lacking a powerful presence.

Give the guy a break for the time being. That's got to be nerve wrecking to go on National TV for the first time knowing that everyone is trying to size you up.

Keep in mind, Belichick doesn't exactly have the most powerful of presence's but he does alright managing this operation here in Foxboro.

PonyExpress said:

I'm hoping that he's just not used to the lights and cameras and is far more impressive in person. Really, really hoping. Because I could have answered those questions better.

PYPER said:
I think it's way to harsh and judgemental to call him an airhead.

But I do understand what you mean by lacking a powerful presence.

Give the guy a break for the time being. That's got to be nerve wrecking to go on National TV for the first time knowing that everyone is trying to size you up.

Keep in mind, Belichick doesn't exactly have the most powerful of presence's but he does alright managing this operation here in Foxboro.
I hear you. But the Commish's job is different from BB's. He's got to forge coalition's with billionaire owners, cowtowing while still being respected by them. He's got to be a salesman for the game, not just a figurehead. Sorry, just giving my first impression. Not that first imprssions are important or anything...

No different from Tagliabue IMO. As long as he's smart, his personality means nothing.

BelichickFan said:
No different from Tagliabue IMO. As long as he's smart, his personality means nothing.

The problem wasn't a lack of personality or charisma. He just came off as a lightweight--didn't seem smart or sharp or confident. Kept mouthing the same ridiculous platitudes like a politician who is starting to lose his composure during a debate.

Goodell sounded softspoken in the booth. I wonder how he'll sound on draft day?

He's the youngest commissioner I've seen.

Btw, calling him a doofus is unfair. How he handles the NFLPA and deadbeat owners like Brown and Wilson is how he'll be judged.

Last edited:
PonyExpress said:

Totally agree. He did not say one thing of any substance.

kurtinelson said:
Totally agree. He did not say one thing of any substance.

In his defense, he was mostly talking with Madden. It's hard to say too much of substance under those circumstances.

He didn't seem like a strong leader, nor did he seem like a thoughtful, smart, soft-spoken type of guy.

The worst was the last question about his goals as commissioner. He said something like 'oh, just keep the league strong'.

The pauses were excruciating throughout their conversation, and Al Michaels had a hard time keeping the interview from feeling awkward.

If MLB can have a doofus commissioner why can't the NFL?

however, if Goodell lets this year's Pro Bowl end in a tie, then I say can his arse

Last edited:
He was Taglibue's right hand man, so he is probably the best man for the job. Taglibue couldn't hold Pete Rozelle's (WHo BTW was much younger than Godell when he was appointed Commish) jock when it came to personality, what he was is a smart lawyer adept to getting a consensus of the owners and comprimise from the players. Labor peace and TV contracts, are what the commissioner's office is all about and what he will be judge on.

So as long as he keeps the labor peace, and doesn't drop the Vince as he is handing it off to Bob Kraft in February, he'll be alright in my book.

My first impression has been confirmed. I hope this inbred patrician fool can mumble his way out of strike, because I seriously doubt the Krafts will save his @$$ when the bill comes due.

I believe the Krafts actually favored another candidate, Robert Reynolds, for commish in the beginning stages of the search to replace the great Tags. However ultimately the vote was unanimous. I wonder what the Krafts think now that they have an attention-whoring, easily persuaded, weak-minded buffoon as the leader of the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes