PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

NE trades for TE Asante Cleveland from 49ers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who were questioning Devey starting last September are eating their words, without that showcase this trade never happens...o_O

Hes a good special team player and such but hes a roster spot they should try to be upgrading

Bill already had an upgrade in Tim Mister Wright, but then he stupidly waived him.

This new TE dude better watch his back for Jake BEQUETTE - Nobody has ever seen him play a down of football in the past 3 years in the NFL, but he must be good.

Bequette must have lots of photos of Kraft hanging out with Jared Fogle. Dude is a survivor!

BB seems to try and take care of players that have played hard for him! Maybe this was his way of taking care of Devey!

This may indeed be part of it. Devey has to be better than he appears, otherwise he wouldn't have stuck around this long. And if you have a reasonable player that you know isn't going to make the team, and you don't want a division, or even conference, rival to get him, you trade him into the NFC.

Possible. Another possibility is Chandler's knee is worse than we know and bill is preparing to move on without him. Hopefully it's possibility number one.
Read Reiss' report today and he said that Chandler looks like he will soon be ready to go again.

I dunno, but the fact that he was released so early is a sign of an issue that Belichick isn't losing sleep over.

I think one of the few cases where he might wish he "could have that back" was when he tried to sneak Lee Smith and Will Yeatman onto the PS, and then they both got claimed off waivers.

Ehh, I disagree. There was no way he was getting passed waivers. Point being that the first team that could claim him, did claim him.

I think Bill thought Gronk, Chandler and one of Derby, Bequette or Fred Davis would make it, but unfortuantely none of the three JAGs panned out.

I think Bill thought Gronk, Chandler and one of Derby, Bequette or Fred Davis would make it, but unfortuantely none of the three JAGs panned out.

Hooman--you're forgetting Hooman.

I suspect that Belichick brought in Chandler to knock Hooman down to his (rightful) TE3 spot, and/or primarily blocking duty. The addition of Chandler allows us to have an improved receiving option at the position, while also proving scheme mismatches and injury insurance.

While Hooman is good enough to stick around as a blocking TE, he shouldn't have been our TE2.

Why is this a mystery? JB is hurt, Chandler is not 100%. You need bodies to take snaps in camp and in Pre season games. You want to keep Gronk fresh and minimize his exposure. Plus as mentioned if they are thinking about a Mathis move, cutting Hooman would free up 1.4
As much as I know we need G help, I would hate to see Hooman go. He does so many of the little things and grunt work that make up a championship team. But it's a business so I would understand.

Hooman--you're forgetting Hooman.

I suspect that Belichick brought in Chandler to knock Hooman down to his (rightful) TE3 spot, and/or primarily blocking duty. The addition of Chandler allows us to have an improved receiving option at the position, while also proving scheme mismatches and injury insurance.

While Hooman is good enough to stick around as a blocking TE, he shouldn't have been our TE2.
Agreed. I also think Chandler is a bit of Gronk insurance too.

You are not accounting for his $400K roster bonus, incentives, and other factors of his salary. His cap hit is $1.5 and change of that only $180K is guaranteed for his prorated signing bonus.
I went by what Miguel has written on Patscap.com. $300K of his roster bonus is already payed. But it seems like we would save $1M towards someone like Mathis if we release Hooman for it. Just a straight up release would only save us $585K because someone else will have to take his roster spot.

Ehh, I disagree. There was no way he was getting passed waivers. Point being that the first team that could claim him, did claim him.

When a player of even Wright's meager stature gets released in the manner he was, you can take it as truth that the move was motivated by more than just production/ability. I doubt Bill has any regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes