PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Name 1 player that you would trade UP to get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If free agency played itself out this way would you trade 27,31 and 48 to move up and get Morris Claiborne? Sell the farm so to speak.

Brandon Lloyd signed
Mario Williams signed. Texans decide to use franchise tag on Foster instead.
Wes Welker resigned.
Anderson resigned.

Still leaves pick 63 to get a player like Crick,Curry or a safety etc.

Of course I understand their position. The problem is Brockers' lack of production sack-wise. So he is still a project, which may or may not pan out, so I certainly wont give up two high round picks for a project. And I wasnt the only one who noticed how he was manhandled and pushed around in that game. Brockers relied on his pushing alone, he couldnt get past OLs with quick moves. In the NFL, OLs will only come bigger and stronger than those faced in college.
Instead of throwing two high picks for this project, I would use them on two different DE/DT players, like Jared Crick and Derek Wolfe, who put up a decent numbers of sacks, and showed that they can pass rush effectively.
Wolfe Derek Wolfe Highlight: 2011 Big East Defensive POY - YouTube
Crick Jared Crick NFL Draft Analysis - 2010 Season - YouTube

I'm officially perplexed by Brockers, he is very often the last one to move on his D-Line and seems less explosive than the other guys as well.

Michael Brockers vs Georgia 2011 - YouTube

Although sometimes he's first off the line, go figure. This tells me that he can be a top performer, it's just a matter of pulling that talent out of him. I'm thinking that he lacks the flexibility to get in a correct stance that will allow him to explode out of it. He also probably lifts heavy weights slowly, which makes one better at moving slow.

Right now I think Alameda Ta'amu would be a better pick: I think he's less raw and would cost a lot less. If he could slim down to 315-320 he'd be even quicker off the snap and he'd could play 3-4 DE with no problem.

If free agency played itself out this way would you trade 27,31 and 48 to move up and get Morris Claiborne? Sell the farm so to speak.

Brandon Lloyd signed
Mario Williams signed. Texans decide to use franchise tag on Foster instead.
Wes Welker resigned.
Anderson resigned.

Still leaves pick 63 to get a player like Crick,Curry or a safety etc.

no, unfortunately I don't see a scenario for getting Clairborne. The Bucs are probably are set on taking him at #5. They have a lot of pass happy QBs to deal with in their division. It's not worth it to trade up higher.

I would only trade up for players that I rate with a high ceiling and low risk. The players I think that could step in and make an impact with minimal chance of being busts are Upshaw and Kendall Wright.

I don't think the Patriots move up, get ready for another 1st next year and 2nd rounder this year.

He clowned himself on his own credibility when he wrote that BS idiotic scouting report, when he claimed that Bequette has a "very "blah" first step", when he claimed that Bequette is "too stiff", when he claimed that the sack leader among SEC draftees this year should be nothing more than a "rotational reserve only".

I pointed out Brockers sack states because Pats need pass rushers who can collapse the pocket and get to the QB, and this guy should have had a lot more sacks in 3 years than a pitiful 2, considering that he was playing for a good defense with a lot of other good players. 2 sacks in 3 years do not look like good stats for a great pass rusher like the Pats need. If he couldnt even overpower those strengthless college OLs, I would imagine that he will have even more difficulty overpowering the NFL OLs. Cox was not much better.

In fact, those very words used by the idiot scouter to diss Bequette could be used more more appropriately on Brockers.
Brockers looks like he has a very "blah" first step, and too stiff, and a player who fails to generate much push even against strengthless OLs, thus limiting him as a pass rusher. As the comments there noted, he got outmuscled and pushed around quite a bit. Sorry I"ll pass on this one.

I think you missed the point of what i said, as well as the duty of a DE in a 3-4 verus a 4-3. If you are honestly saying that you would take Bequette over Brockers, then you sir are one of the few in the entire draftnik/mock community who believes as such. I am not trying to say you are wrong, but i find it silly that you are presenting your argument as such; which is flawed and confused.

I think you missed the point of what i said, as well as the duty of a DE in a 3-4 verus a 4-3. If you are honestly saying that you would take Bequette over Brockers, then you sir are one of the few in the entire draftnik/mock community who believes as such. I am not trying to say you are wrong, but i find it silly that you are presenting your argument as such; which is flawed and confused.

No, I didnt miss your point, I think you missed mine. To get Brockers you have to move up and give up two high round picks, for a player that pretty much sucks sack-wise and its a one year wonder so far, someone who may or may not pan out. The NFL draft history is filled with first rounders who never approached what was expected of them. No thanks.

Instead of giving up two high picks on one player, I would use those picks on two different players, pass rushers who do have the # of sacks playing the same position like brockers.

Jared Crick, who would have been projected in the top15 of this draft if not for his injury. Great size and strength, great pass rusher with # of sacks to prove it from the same position as brockers, also great run stuffer with # of TFL to prove it.
crick – Search Results – NFL Draft Take

Derek Wolfe, great size and strength, great pass rusher with # of sacks to prove it from the same position as brockers, also great run stuffer with # of TFL to prove it. wolfe – Search Results – NFL Draft Take

Two for the price of one, where do I sign?

Add Bequette, keep Anderson. Rotate them throughout the game so they are fresh in the 4th quarter.

Anderson - Wilfork - Crick - Wolfe - Bequette. Great pass rushing line, also great run stuffing line. Pats pass rushing problems solved.

I would say Justin Blackmon, but I must be realistic, Bellichick doesn't trade up!!:p

Actually, he does trade up occasionally, the last instance being for Chad Jackson (oi....).

-Jamman

David DeCastro, seems too good to pass on. Good guards opening up lanes for running game is just what we need. Maybe less need than Center but dont see the talent like this guy have.

David DeCastro, seems too good to pass on. Good guards opening up lanes for running game is just what we need. Maybe less need than Center but dont see the talent like this guy have.

You have Logan Mankins, Brian Waters and Marcus Cannon as Guards.

You can't trade Logan b/c of the cap hit. Brian looks like he is coming back and Cannon, even though he didn't play guard last year, is our future at RG.

Castro plays LG and is a mauler. You want a mauler to play LG b/c he is a good pulling Guard. You already have one of those.

I'd consider 3

Quinton Coples UNC
Morris Claiborne LSU
Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama

You can't trade Logan b/c of the cap hit. Brian looks like he is coming back and Cannon, even though he didn't play guard last year, is our future at RG.

Castro plays LG and is a mauler. You want a mauler to play LG b/c he is a good pulling Guard. You already have one of those.

Ye we are pretty set in theory but you just never know. Feeling is that he brings alot to the table and we need to start running the ball again. Seeing our run game this year I got the feeling it isnt as good as last year. Could be Koppen missing but were we running behind Waters at all ? Could just be a feeling. Mankins wasnt as good as his contract year but I agree, he is a star player.

Trading up to like 20s to get him maybe would do it. We still need a Center, and lets hope we get one good. I like Castro though, just got a feeling he would be a contributer for a long time.

Not trading up too high for him though. But if hes there at 20 I would seriously consider it.

Ye we are pretty set in theory but you just never know. Feeling is that he brings alot to the table and we need to start running the ball again. Seeing our run game this year I got the feeling it isnt as good as last year. Could be Koppen missing but were we running behind Waters at all ? Could just be a feeling. Mankins wasnt as good as his contract year but I agree, he is a star player.

Trading up to like 20s to get him maybe would do it. We still need a Center, and lets hope we get one good. I like Castro though, just got a feeling he would be a contributer for a long time.

Not trading up too high for him though. But if hes there at 20 I would seriously consider it.

Absolutely they should consider it if he's available there, if an opportunity to grab elite level talent presents itself, the Pats should avail themselves, need or no. I would argue the same should apply to Trent Richardson. Now he almost certainly won't fall past the Jets or Bengals but if he should, the Patriots should do everything to get him. Guy is outstanding and trumps any silliness about need.

Mankins has been sucking in big games, and Waters is only a short-term band-aid. We don’t know where Cannon will be long term, he might end up at RT. I say we get DeCastro now and trade Mankins next season if he doesn’t shape up.

Wasn't it Mankins that got owned by Tuck, which led to TFB's shoulder getting reinjured in the SB?

Last edited:
Absolutely they should consider it if he's available there, if an opportunity to grab elite level talent presents itself, the Pats should avail themselves, need or no. I would argue the same should apply to Trent Richardson. Now he almost certainly won't fall past the Jets or Bengals but if he should, the Patriots should do everything to get him. Guy is outstanding and trumps any silliness about need.

Yep, regardless if they drafted 2 rb's last season it doesn't change my opinion that Trent Richardson would be one of the hugest additions this team could add. Guy is a game changer,play maker,difference maker. The complete package with vision,change of direction, power and will probably run a 4.4 40 which tells us he has break away speed. Would love this guy to be a Patriot for years to come. Gives this team another identity as well as transitions the franchise identity once Brady retires smoothly.

Last edited:
Mankins has been sucking in big games, and Waters is only a short-term band-aid. We don’t know where Cannon will be long term, he might end up at RT. I say we get DeCastro now and trade Mankins next season if he doesn’t shape up.

Wasn't it Mankins that got owned by Tuck, which led to TFB's shoulder getting reinjured in the SB?

Yes & Yes but his cap hit is 10m for 2012 year. Not sure what it is beyond 2013.

Actually, he does trade up occasionally, the last instance being for Chad Jackson (oi....).

-Jamman

GRONK, actually. :D

Last edited:
Yes & Yes but his cap hit is 10m for 2012 year. Not sure what it is beyond 2013.

Per Miguel:

On August 11th, 2011 ESPN.Com's Mike Reiss blogged that "Here are the details of Logan Mankins' contract extension, according to a source: The six-year, $51 million deal extends through 2016. Signing bonus - $20 million. Base salaries:

2011: $1.5 million
2012: $3 million
2013: $6 million
2014: $6.5 million
2015: $7 million
2016: $7 million

His cap hit in 2012 is, I believe, $7M ($3M + $4M prorated SB). In 2013, it's $10M ($6M + $4M). Trading him would entail an extra $2M cap hit.

Yup! Mankins had a brutally ugly game trying to change direction and got abused worse than a JETS fan taking the Wonderlic test.

Yup! Mankins had a brutally ugly game trying to change direction and got abused worse than a JETS fan taking the Wonderlic test.

A Jets fan would think a wonderlic was an ice lolly.

I absolutely loved Quinton Coples but after seeing him at the Marine Corps challenge yesterday I kinda question his attitude. Granted, it's a fun event but the look on his face and the effort he was putting in make me feel like he could be a second coming of Vernon Gholston. You could see a huge difference in attitude from Melvin Ingram and Fletcher Cox. They genuinely looked excited to be there and were having fun.

edit: Before I get blasted by all the people saying "LOLz it's a fun competition. Why go all out and risk injuring and losing MIRRRRIONZ of dollaz?", you're getting to live an experience that thousands of kids would die to have. At least put a smile on your face and have some ******* fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back