PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My random thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Color me a little skeptical of Chung. Yes, he has a high motor. Yes, he hits like a freght train and yes, he's a good open-field tackler. Still, I think his coverage skills are suspect. Very suspect. Saw him out of position a few times last night. He recovers well....but there shouldn't be any recovery to be had, you know?

They are different players IMO Bulter in terms of size and quickness is suited for the slot McCourty is a guy to cover an outside receiver. Can't wait for Bodden to suit up. There is a real jam with people among the DB's Wheatly is showing some of the talent he was drafted for and is playing very well on ST's and Arrington is hitting like a ton of bricks. Do we carry 6 cb's or is Whilite out?

Arrington is superior to both Wheatley and Wilhite in my opinion.

Buck & Aikman - I'm so glad NE is an AFC team.

FoxSports is a whore.

Did we all enjoy the various in-depth 20 minute reports on the Lions, Bears, Donovan McNabb, etc. while the game was going on?

Just rename it the NFC Channel and let us watch a different announcing team.

Color me a little skeptical of Chung. Yes, he has a high motor. Yes, he hits like a freght train and yes, he's a good open-field tackler. Still, I think his coverage skills are suspect. Very suspect. Saw him out of position a few times last night. He recovers well....but there shouldn't be any recovery to be had, you know?

As a "strong" safety (I know the Pats don't really use those exact distinctions, but still) he looks very solid. He's the guy who's going to be playing closer to the LOS on run plays and is going to provide some pop over the middle. His coverage skills are secondary, but I don't think they're as bad as you imply. To say there shouldn't be ANY recovery is putting a little too much on anyone's shoulders. All players miss coverages, but minimizing the damage is an important skill to have too.

Chung will be mostly close to the line like most SS. A large number of great SS aren't great cover guys. Rodney Harrison had problems with it for a large portion of his career especially in San Deigo. Bob Sanders even when healthy is only average in coverage.

You look for your SS to almost be an extra LB (which Rodney was in the Pats' defense). He is huge vs. the run. He can rush the passer. He does some coverage, but it isn't his strongest suit typically.

Yes, Chung needs to improve his coverage, but I am definitely not as concerned about it as you are at this point.

Most commentators have their irritating moments, but those two either slept through their preproduction meetings or they've hired Tomase and Alice-Loves-Brady as their research assistants.

That's AlisonLovesBrady. Don't tick off Tom Casale.

I see the logic behind this and it makes sense to me too, but the only thing that goes against it is Welker playing tonight. If BB is really concerned with overuse, why is Welker playing in this game? Welker takes the same beating that any RB does, and coming back from such a serious injury, why play him tonight and not use Maroney? I am not saying your reasoning is wrong, I just still am a little confused as to why Maroney hasn't ran with the first unit this preseason if he is 1 A/B on the RB depth chart like we suspect

It's very simple and Chris Price (amongst others) has alluded to it. Each of the 4 backs (BJGE, Taylor, Maroney, Morris) are going to see time against 1st units. One per game. Week 1 was BJGE. Week 2 was Taylor. Weeks 3 and 4 remain to be seen, but I'd say that Maroney get's 1st team action next week and that Morris gets it in week 4. This way each one gets 10-15 reps and can build up a rhythm.

Now, as for Welker, the situation is entirely different. Entirely. You even attempting to compare the two is foolishness. Why is it different? Because Welker is returning from a major injury and needs to get game reps to build up his confidence in the reconstructed knee. Welker wore a brace last night on the left knee, but the goal is to be free of the brace by week 1 against Cincy.

It's already called the... DREADED D!!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

I like the young guys also but we ought to wait a while before we give them any nicknames.
Revisit the nicknames at the bye week.

IMO, for what it's worth, MC never looked anything like a bonafide NFL quarterback. Give the kid credit for what he accomplished in 08, but truth be told, he never looked comfortable.

You clearly watched a different '08 season than most people. Cassel looked extremely comfortable back there at the end of the season. Which is to be expected. Also, the O-line had been wildly inconsistent through the first 8 games of the season. They finally started settling down during the 2nd half of the season.

To say that Cassel never looked like a bonafide NFL QB is laughable and speaks volumes on you as an evaluator.

Arrington is superior to both Wheatley and Wilhite in my opinion.

I definitely wold keep Arrington for ST since he is a backup, In this vein if we keep 5 cb's I would see Wheatly as the #5 right now.

I think a single play like this can make a huge difference if they are worried that he is not smart picking it off on 4th down I not smart I know it was only 15 yards. However if they are worried he can't cover he is showing he can. I would prefer to keep him around he can step in if we need an extra corner while wheatly is largely unproven.

I had that thought about the pick initially, but there was little time left in the half and he was trying to make a play. If the offense reacts slowly and a return gets setup, it could be a much bigger play. The 15 yards could also turn into 3 points, so I can see the flipside, too, but I think a defensive-minded coach like BB will look at the play as a net positive, disguising the coverage, stepping-in, and trying to make a play.

Wilhite looked reliable, if not spectacular last night, and that's what I want out of CBs 4 and 5. I'm starting to see 6 DBs and 5 WRs on the 53 with Aiken missing out.

I definitely wold keep Arrington for ST since he is a backup, In this vein if we keep 5 cb's I would see Wheatly as the #5 right now.

I think that Arrington is a lock on this team, while Aiken is fighting for his life, in all honesty. That being said, has anyone noticed who has been the personal protector on the punting unit? Has it only been AIKEN? Or has someone else been there?

FoxSports is a whore.

Did we all enjoy the various in-depth 20 minute reports on the Lions, Bears, Donovan McNabb, etc. while the game was going on?

Just rename it the NFC Channel and let us watch a different announcing team.

I'm glad you brought this up.....FOX acts like it's the pre-merger days,when it was anathema to even mention the "junior" league(AFL).

It's like being stuck in a time-warp listening to Buck and Aikman.I mean talking up the Bears?....
What's up with that?

What they should have been discussing was how the Pats were just manhandling the Falcons,,on both sides of the ball....Aikman is just way too smug,for my taste and Buck never shuts up.

I tried listening to Gil and Gino,last night,but the radio feed was a good 5 seconds ahead of the tv broadcast,making it unlistenable.

I am starting to think that Mayo lacks the instincts to cover TE's. He basically stays close to them as they catch the ball, then makes the tackle. I keep waiting for him to get better at coverage. He has the speed, I wish he had better instincts.

I see this as a reasonable observation after having given up a couple grabs to one of the best TEs who has ever played the game.

That's AlisonLovesBrady. Don't tick off Tom Casale.
Casale was/is more of an Alice, he/she/it just used Alison because it sounded more pretentious. :snob:

I think that Arrington is a lock on this team, while Aiken is fighting for his life, in all honesty. That being said, has anyone noticed who has been the personal protector on the punting unit? Has it only been AIKEN? Or has someone else been there?

I believe it's been Patrick Chung......another reason to make Aiken expendable.

Has it only been AIKEN? Or has someone else been there?

I read somewhere that Chung was in that spot... or I could just be making that up. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News