PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My random thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see the logic behind this and it makes sense to me too, but the only thing that goes against it is Welker playing tonight. If BB is really concerned with overuse, why is Welker playing in this game? Welker takes the same beating that any RB does, and coming back from such a serious injury, why play him tonight and not use Maroney? I am not saying your reasoning is wrong, I just still am a little confused as to why Maroney hasn't ran with the first unit this preseason if he is 1 A/B on the RB depth chart like we suspect

He needs to get a little work done to start to get his timing back but I gave up a while ago trying to mkake sense what BB does in PS. Hes evaluating and thats all I need to know.

Maroney was a split back with BJGE last week. The reason why he isn't getting reps is because there are three other guys fighting for possibly two roster spots. They need to get extended looks with the first team to determine who stays and who goes. It wouldn't be the first time that a guy with a secured roster position gets a rest to let other battle for roster spots (see Randy Moss in 2007 who obviously was not rushed back from injury since he was pretty much 100% day one).

BJGE was with the 1st team last week, Maroney the 2nd. They weren't ever on the field at the same time I dont believe. I think we will carry 5 RB's again this season just like last year, when you have older RBs the risk for injury increases so you need to have guys ready to step in. Your whole theory for a guy with a secured roster spot resting to allow guys to play with the first unit fighting for a roster spot goes against Welker playing tonight. The WR position is a fairly deep one with numerous guys fighting for a roster spot. I dont think anyone will ever really understand BB's TC decisions/philosophies

I may be in the minority, but I actually like Aikman. He does have his personality quirks, but the guy is a heck of an analysis. After listening to Jaws ball wash Sanchez on Monday night (Jaws may break down film better than anyone else, he loves to ball wash QBs as a color guy which makes him annoying), I kinda enjoyed Aikman.

Seriously are the AFC guys any better? Not really enamored with Greg Gumbel and Phil Simms and that is the best CBS has to offer.
Most commentators have their irritating moments, but those two either slept through their preproduction meetings or they've hired Tomase and Alice-Loves-Brady as their research assistants.

BJGE was with the 1st team last week, Maroney the 2nd. They weren't ever on the field at the same time I dont believe. I think we will carry 5 RB's again this season just like last year, when you have older RBs the risk for injury increases so you need to have guys ready to step in. Your whole theory for a guy with a secured roster spot resting to allow guys to play with the first unit fighting for a roster spot goes against Welker playing tonight. The WR position is a fairly deep one with numerous guys fighting for a roster spot. I dont think anyone will ever really understand BB's TC decisions/philosophies

9. Running back rotation. In a surprise, it was third-year back BenJarvus Green-Ellis as the top runner; he played 21 of the 31 first-half snaps. Veteran Fred Taylor didn't play, and said after the game that he was aware that would be the case. The plan, Taylor said, is to feature different running backs at various points during the preseason.

Recapping the ten things to watch for New England Patriots-New Orleans Saints preseason opener - ESPN Boston

This has all been planned by the team.

How does Welker go against my theory? Did Maroney blow out his ACL last season and need to get some reps with Brady throwing to him? Must have missed that. Maroney and Welker are in two completely different systems.

As Deus has pointed out from Reiss' piece, they are giving different RBs more time with the ones. Considering the third game is played and prepared for like a real game, next week might be Maroney's turn to be with the ones.

It isn't the first time that Belichick has held out veteran players to give other chances to get reps. Belichick knows what he has with Maroney. He has been practicing with the #1s all camp and gotten positive reviews. I doubt that he has fallen off the depth chart.

Both Taylor and Morris got hurt last season. BJGE ended with 26 total carries. I'm not sure we absolutely need to carry 5 again.

Welker needs work to gain the mind/body confidence in his knee and cuts in real game situations. They are evaluating the RBs and as Deus posted they have a plan in place. Faulk and Maroney are all but guaranteed roster spots.

Most commentators have their irritating moments, but those two either slept through their preproduction meetings or they've hired Tomase and Alice-Loves-Brady as their research assistants.

In fairness to them, most announcers don't do research on preseason games. Heck, Randy Cross has been calling Patriots preseason games for years and he still thinks Matt Light's first name is Todd.

It isn't the first time that Belichick has held out veteran players to give other chances to get reps. Belichick knows what he has with Maroney. He has been practicing with the #1s all camp and gotten positive reviews. I doubt that he has fallen off the depth chart.

Not to mention it's his 5th year and he's been playing with the ones for 4 (well technically 3) years now.

Based on his performance against Houston last year and this preseason game, I would say (if I had to bet) that Hoyer is a better QB than Cassel. Hoyer has amazing accuracy out there. He's not there yet with all the other aspects of his game, but he looks like a young Pennington in making those touch passes.

I'd have to agree, as big a fan of MC as I am. Hoyer has looked better with the backups than Cassel ever has [EDIT: with backups] and it's only his 2nd year. If Hoyer had a full season with Moss and Welker I think he'd do just as well if not better than Cassel did.

Last edited:
I see the logic behind this and it makes sense to me too, but the only thing that goes against it is Welker playing tonight. If BB is really concerned with overuse, why is Welker playing in this game? Welker takes the same beating that any RB does, and coming back from such a serious injury, why play him tonight and not use Maroney? I am not saying your reasoning is wrong, I just still am a little confused as to why Maroney hasn't ran with the first unit this preseason if he is 1 A/B on the RB depth chart like we suspect

Most of pre season is to look at people. I thought Maroney looked good the other game and he was used on the goal line, short yardage being what her has tried to work on. I'd say they are likely satisfied with Maroney and want to see early what Taylor and Morris have left, because the wall sometimes comes quick for an RB.

I thought law firm looked OK, but to me he's exactly where he was before camp. He's with Wilhite and others on the bubble at their position.

I was impressed with the tackling tonight. Seemed to be no missed tackles and for the most part, receiver were tackled where they caught the ball.

Definitely, and that was even without Bodden. McCourty, in particular, was bringing guys down with authority.

Damn, I wish Wilhite didn't have that INT today. I really dont think he should stay.

Nonsense. I would much prefer to have my fifth CB be a former startable CB when called on, instead of some Kami Kazi hot head who can't cover a paper bag. If you haven't noticed that ST only guy, has decked out more Pats secondary players with his missed "big hits" than opponents.

As for coverage, I doubt you want a guy to be 10 yards off a WR, (like a certain Mr. Hobbs), who then allows an open easy catch of the ball for the WR, so he can run full tilt into him. I'd rather that he break up the pass completion, or picjk it off.

Willhite had 3 picks last season, and is starting off in the same fashion. That's good.

Remember we play teams like the Colts and Saints who have very good 4-5-6 receiver formations. You need to recall that was how the Pats stayed on the field with mighty Saint Louis in the Superdome. They were never expecting a Team to actually be able to cover all their receivers, as no one had. That was when Terrel Buckly was signed and our secret "fifth weapon".

Damn, I wish Wilhite didn't have that INT today. I really dont think he should stay.

I felt this way at first, but truth be told, I'm fine with it as long as he is the 5th corner on the depth chart behind Bodden, McCourty, Butler and Wheatley. These days, the more depth you have at corner, the better. Now, if they keep Wilhite and cut Wheatley, I'll be as agitated as anyone.

The guy who I think is gonna be very important is Ron Brace. Obviously they need someone to step up at DE, and Brace did a very good job sealing up his end tonight. Brace gives them a guy who can play DE in a 3-4 but also has the size to play DT in a 4-3 when they decide to mix it up. It'll be huge if he can step up as a presence next to Wilfork.

I may be in the minority, but I actually like Aikman. He does have his personality quirks, but the guy is a heck of an analysis. After listening to Jaws ball wash Sanchez on Monday night (Jaws may break down film better than anyone else, he loves to ball wash QBs as a color guy which makes him annoying), I kinda enjoyed Aikman.

Seriously are the AFC guys any better? Not really enamored with Greg Gumbel and Phil Simms and that is the best CBS has to offer.

I thought aikman was good.....he was also very knowledgeable of the pats players and had some nice things/positive stuff to say about the team. This seems to be a rarity these days .....usually have to turn sound off......

Definitely, and that was even without Bodden. McCourty, in particular, was bringing guys down with authority.
This was the biggest thing I took away from the game. The starting DB's were making tackles. Chung, Arrington put some solid hits on people.

Anyone else notice how Spikes was lining up further back than Mayo. It's almost like he wants to see the backfield formation before the play. This might be where his height is an advantage.

I am starting to think that Mayo lacks the instincts to cover TE's. He basically stays close to them as they catch the ball, then makes the tackle. I keep waiting for him to get better at coverage. He has the speed, I wish he had better instincts.

What an odd statement. Do you randomly pick and choose who you want to suck to help your roster choices look better? Further, do you really think BB is going to keep a player based upon one play in one preseason game? After he has been watching that same player every day for hours and hours on end, during the preseason and in Wilhites case, last year too?

Aikman/Buck are better than Criqui/Cross... but the Fox Broadcast takes away from the game...

This D backfield, looks like a tremendous improvement.. Chung and McCourty are as advertised...

Mesko 44.5 punting average nice ..

Tight Ends very nice upgrade, and more toys for Brady...

The Dante Scarnecchia school of O lineman continues to produce cum laude graduates...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back