PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My random thoughts on the game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's already called the... DREADED D!!!! :rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:

How about The Dreaded Beasts then? :cool:

A few thoughts while trying to remember just how many margaritas I had last night:
- Reiss keeps saying BB is rotating backs per game, giving each a chance to get extended reps and respond to the flow of a game. Taylor looked excellent last night and Morris woke up big time. Maroney -- I believe they used the situation to get him some Red Zone work last week; I expect him to see lots of action next week. (Isn't week 3 the game when the 1s get the most action?)
- Psyched about the TEs receiving, but I also feel like the improvement in the running game will be huge. What a diverse offense. As much as I love Brady-to-Moss deep, I hope they are a bit more selective on going that route than they have been at times recently. Last night showed a nice, ball-control approach.
- Nice to see Brace have some impact.
- Are we officially back to bend but don't break? The first couple of drives I was thinking, "Man, we can't stop these guys." But we did, both times. It's a familiar feeling and result, and I think the difference is that the D has some playmakers again. They've got some fast guys who can hit.
- Anyone see Butler?
- McCourty can cover. Cleanly.
- Zoltan was 2 for 4 inside the 20, and I believe his last kick was caught at the 20 and the receiver was swarmed right away
- What a sweet pass from Hoyer to Gronkowski.
- Sure were a lot of empty seats last night

My thoughts before the game: Brady has the best weapons ever.

My thoughts during the game: Brady has the best weapons ever.

My thoughts after the game: Brady has the best weapons ever.

My thoughts as i go to sleep tonight: I will count TD passes from Brady until sleep.

hahaha....nice! I have to try that.....thinking about my job doesn't help me sleep at all.

Damn, I wish Wilhite didn't have that INT today. I really dont think he should stay.

More than certain that interception won't decide his fate. My 9 year old niece could have caught that 4th and forever heave.

Damn, I wish Wilhite didn't have that INT today. I really dont think he should stay.

If it's any consolation, I read someone's in-game analysis (maybe Reiss) that knocking that ball down would actually have led to better field position. So, maybe he made the wrong play. :)

This was the biggest thing I took away from the game. The starting DB's were making tackles. Chung, Arrington put some solid hits on people.

I agree.

It kind of reminded me of pre-Astante days when Patriot DB's were physical.

Based on his performance against Houston last year and this preseason game, I would say (if I had to bet) that Hoyer is a better QB than Cassel. Hoyer has amazing accuracy out there. He's not there yet with all the other aspects of his game, but he looks like a young Pennington in making those touch passes.

Cassel is stinking it up in KC.

What an odd statement. Do you randomly pick and choose who you want to suck to help your roster choices look better? Further, do you really think BB is going to keep a player based upon one play in one preseason game? After he has been watching that same player every day for hours and hours on end, during the preseason and in Wilhites case, last year too?

I think a single play like this can make a huge difference if they are worried that he is not smart picking it off on 4th down I not smart I know it was only 15 yards. However if they are worried he can't cover he is showing he can. I would prefer to keep him around he can step in if we need an extra corner while wheatly is largely unproven.

Buck & Aikman - I'm so glad NE is an AFC team.

Two things about them
1) Referring to Fred Taylor as Chris Taylor early on. Come on guys, one is #15 all time on the rushing list and you can;t do your homework?
2) Making a big deal of the facts that they didn't know who made the trip for the Patriots. Reiss had that information on his blog yesterday morning if not earlier. A little prep work would have revealed that information.

Definitely, and that was even without Bodden. McCourty, in particular, was bringing guys down with authority.

McCourty looked top-flight out there tonight. Tight coverage, solid tackles, even saw him getting in on a running play in the backfield. Chung looked equally impressive. Guys like McGowan, Butler, and Arrington, made timely aggressive tackles, but leave me with the impression that they're out of control and one juke away from giving up a big play. I have no such concern with Chung or McCourty. They are quick to the play, in control, and solid in their tackling. They'll be fun to watch for years. :singing:

My thoughts as i go to sleep tonight: I will count TD passes from Brady until sleep.

As one who was chastized for claiming this passing game will be unstoppable I just want to warn you that you are not allowed to have these opinions in the pre-season. ;)

In think Taylor will be the starter and is the #1 RB on this team. Both Taylor and Morris showed great vision for a pre season game. If Morris, is cut he wont last long unemployed.

BJGE did not help his stock last night.

Some of the run calls totally confused the Falcons.

Anyone else think McCourty has surpassed Butler?

And the playcalling! Yippee!

Some shotgun formation but only on probable passing downs. Hence, when they ran from the shotgun it actually worked.

McCourty has surprized me with his play so far....thought he might just play ST first and ease into CB play...he's stepped right in and looks comfortable...

I'm excited to see what this return team can do after seeing the speed that Tate and McCourty exhibited early on.

Mesko's punts are HIGH....gonna see lots of fair catches this season if he keeps it up. Field Position will come into play in a few games this year where a FG may win or lose a game for Pats.

I was just as happy that the revitalized threat at TE opens up the running game. The Pats sent in 30 running plays and 29 pass plays last night.

If you go back to last season they passed 592 times and ran just 466. The offense was highly predictable, leading, IMO, to easy second half adjustments by opponents and relatively low Offensive production in the third and fourth quarters (the Pats scored just 33% of their points in the second half last year, compared to an average of around 50% over the prior eight years), while the Defense played evenly, and well, in both halves.

Anyone else think McCourty has surpassed Butler?

They are different players IMO Bulter in terms of size and quickness is suited for the slot McCourty is a guy to cover an outside receiver. Can't wait for Bodden to suit up. There is a real jam with people among the DB's Wheatly is showing some of the talent he was drafted for and is playing very well on ST's and Arrington is hitting like a ton of bricks. Do we carry 6 cb's or is Whilite out?

IMO, for what it's worth, MC never looked anything like a bonafide NFL quarterback. Give the kid credit for what he accomplished in 08, but truth be told, he never looked comfortable.

On the other hand, it's very obvious to see that Hoyer has the proper abilities, and it is plain to see, again IMO, for what it's worth, that he has truly studied and listened to Tom Brady, and maybe even Bill O'Brien because he really looks good enough that, if he had to go into a game, that he could get the job done in fine fashion.

I would have no qualms with him in there with the rest of the starters.....

It's this I know what I saw mentality that makes it tough for most here to evaluate QB's. Cassel looked very good his rookie year and better his second year. Which wasn't that easy to do considering those teams... Then he began to get compared to Brady playing with the #1's at a time when Bill was handling the preseason a little differently than he is these days. We aren't playing musical chairs and the ones are remaining in the game longer because so many of them are now youngsters needing all the work they can get in pre season. Hoyer has his struggles early on last night when the OL transitioned, but he was able to regain his footing somewhat because he still had viable weapons at his disposal - including two TE who are going to be playing all season and a couple of young WR who will be seeing time as well. Cassel practically made Bam Childress a household name...

Bill is really handling things differently this season, both with the scrimmages and a mentality that says he wants them to learn to win (while still testing them and developing enough film on which to make corrections). What he's doing with the backs is novel just for openers. Getting guys long stretches so they can build rhythm on offense and evaluate them in more game situations carrying the load as opposed to rotating them constantly and having them shuttle in and out cold and not in rhythm. When the #1's go they go as a unit, no more of this mix and match **** that doesn't benefit anyone.

My thoughts on the game:

1) I was really happy with the Saints game, but was reserving some excitement until I saw them do it two weeks in a row. Still reserving because it's preseason, but I'm starting to think this team is coming together VERY nicely.

2) I can't remember the last time we had this many potential weapons on offense. Even in 2007, I don't think we had TE's with this kind of talent, or a running game like we could have if everyone stays healthy. I don't think we'll ever reproduce the numbers of 2007, but early indications are this offense may be tougher to scheme against (and stop) when it matters most.

3) This year should be a real good test of O'Brien's progression as an OC. The shear VARIETY of weapons is staggering to me: Three TEs who all have different skill sets, deep threats, multiple slot receivers, guys who can get yards after the catch, etc. If OB can show a little creativity and good playcalling, oh man...

4) I am LOVING the physicality of our secondary. I thought it was actually a strength of the team last year overall, but now is just up another level. Once Bodden gets thrown into the mix, we may have the most physical set of corners in the AFC. There's depth there as well.

5) Front seven didn't get the quick pressure that we saw early in the Saints game, but I thought they did a decent job collapsing the pocket. Most of Ryan's completions were check downs, and he really couldn't step up ever. I'd like to see a little more pressure, but at least we made things uncomfortable, which is more than we were able to do many times last year. Also, with the improvements in the secondary, we should see more coverage sacks out of this unit.

6) Kick and punt coverage was EXCELLENT. Our ST in every area (except FGs which should be about the same) seems to have improved so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back