PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My mind boggles as to why Sterling Moore was released earlier this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Molden is a jackass, waving incomplete when clearly the WR caught it. Clapping on the ground like he did something good when he just mugged the WR for a flag.

Re: Sterling Moore Makes Plays

Funny how after all the complaints we used to hear about the Pats' "smurf" CBs, everybody sees Moore as an obvious safety! Check it out:

Ellis Hobbs: 5'9" 192 lbs.
Sterling More: 5'9 1/2" 192 lbs.

He looks heavier than 192lbs. Pats call him Sterling Moore, CB, Corner Back, 5'10", 204 lbs. Most Scout books 5'9 5/8ths" and 202lbs. Let's give him that 1/8th.
Size comparison only-
Polamalu 5'10" and 207lbs so he is smallish.
Weddle 5'11" and 200lbs
I like to see them like 6'1" and 210 but he seems to be playing well.
DW Toys

yeah, I don't know what surprised me more... his release or the fact that nobody claimed him

Is he a ST gunner? Cause if he is, no idea why Sergio wasn't cut instead of Moore.

Brown's sole role on this team is to be a good ST gunner.

Film does help, but Belichick isn't sitting there watching every snap of every player on his team and practice squad. It isn't just cutting guys on his own team, his draft picks rely on the opinions of his staff and evidence has shown that Belichick gets bad info sometimes from his people. He makes the best decisions he can but has to assume the info he works with from his staff is usable.

You really think Belichick lets a player go without completely evaluating that player himself? Some opinions, yeah, ok. But Belichick would not cut the kid if it were not completely his decision.

Think about how things really work on this team. You seem confused.

Moore is befuddling.. great game yesterday but confusing history..

Difficulty in comprehending this sequence of events..

On November 13, 2011, Moore made his NFL debut against the New York Jets, starting every snap at safety for the New England Patriots.

On December 10, 2011, Moore was released by New England. On December 14, 2011 he was resigned to the Patriots practice squad and on December 23, 2011 he was promoted to the active roster. On 1/1/2012, Week 17 of the 2011-12 NFL season Moore recorded two interceptions against the Buffalo Bills and returned one for a touchdown

james harrison went undrafted and was cut a few times by the steelers to...i can dream can i :D

Agree on all - I like Moore more in the slot - Molden is average on a really good day for him....

I think it is very possible the only reason McCourty got any playing time at safety was to give Ihedigbo some rest and recovery time for the playoffs. Ihedigbo has been okay back there.

Edelman is a better slot guy. BB needs his energy and pursuit out there on D.

To me, the sub packages have looked best with Moore and Edelman playing. I'm hoping the coaching staff has concluded the Nate Jones tryout and will play the guys who seem to have a knack for making (positive) plays.

He looks heavier than 192lbs. Pats call him Sterling Moore, CB, Corner Back, 5'10", 204 lbs. Most Scout books 5'9 5/8ths" and 202lbs. Let's give him that 1/8th.
Size comparison only-
Polamalu 5'10" and 207lbs so he is smallish.
Weddle 5'11" and 200lbs
I like to see them like 6'1" and 210 but he seems to be playing well.
DW Toys

Unfortunately, team/league size numbers are meaningless. (Just check out Wilfork's "weight.") The only real numbers you can get are from the draft scouting process -- and with Moore being a rookie, they should still be pretty accurate. He was measured at 192 lbs.

Outside of Chung, he's the best safety we have on the team. Sure, with the likes of James Ihedigbo, Sergio Brown, and Ross Ventrone on the roster, that's not saying much. On that note, though, I'll agree. Not sure why he was released... but I'm glad he's back.

Outside of Chung, he's the best safety we have on the team. Sure, with the likes of James Ihedigbo, Sergio Brown, and Ross Ventrone on the roster, that's not saying much. On that note, though, I'll agree. Not sure why he was released... but I'm glad he's back.

This. His picks in yesterday's game remind me of some of the highlights i've seen from his SMU days. Quick and instinctive ball skills, hopefully the cut put things in perspective or maybe the game is slowing down. idk but it was great watching him make plays on the ball in space.

I sure hope he gets a lot of playing time in the playoffs. He just looks like a player that will make some game-changing plays.

Last edited:
With the way Moore has made plays, had Dowling not gotten hurt I would only be slightly worried about our defense instead of mortified.

Side note -- He's got a sense of humor about his play as well. Earlier, he was tweeting during one of the Bowl games and a DB got beat on a double move - similar to the one Garcon beat him on in the Colts game before he got cut - and he tweeted "Damn those double moves!" haha

Belichick can't see everything, he relies on his staff to evaluate based on practice, games, and film. He acts on their opinions. Unfortunately, most of the staff aside from Scar and Pepper aren't proven as talent evaluators, or had prior success coaching football before...

What? You mean that being an assistant coach at Bryant College does not count?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents