PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

That active, under DT we could really use.

We just spent a 1st round draft pick on one of those. Give Easley time to get healthy and develop. Not that I'm averse to another, and I like McCoy, but given the cost it seems like we could spend the money better elsewhere.

So here's s notion, one that I'm not even sure about yet but I'd be interested in what people think.

If you consider that:

a) We have 10 days until the next game (more like 5 or 6 by the time a proposed trade is done)

b) The need for a (M)LB

c) Dobson being a healthy scratch yet again

d) Wright,Lafell and even Tyms doing much of what Dobson offers potentially.

How about trading Dobson for a linebacker? Note, I don't have anyone in mind so I'm just thinking hypothetically.

Just a random thought that occurred to me. Feel free to shoot it down.

Posluszny?? Not sure about his contract. Vets aren't helping Jacksonville any. He's a smart guy and could pick our system even though he may not have the size BB prefers.

Posluszny?? Not sure about his contract. Vets aren't helping Jacksonville any. He's a smart guy and could pick our system even though he may not have the size BB prefers.
He has a contract that I think makes him tradeable. But also very expensive for us. Most of his contract consist of base salary. There is $4m remaning of the prorated signing bonus. $2m for this season and $4m for next season.His base salary is guaranteed this year because the season has started, but I think that cap hit transfers to us.

The problem for us is that his base salary is $7,450m for each of the remaining 3 years of his deal. That's a lot of money. I don't think he's worth that.

How do you guys feel about Wilfork so far? I think he looks better this year than he did last year. He gets pushed around on some plays, but can still hold his ground a lot of the time. He also gets good push on the OL every now and then. But it looks like he's often a step too slow when trying to tackle running backs. To me it looks like he doesn't get off blocks as fast as he used too. I choose to put this here because I think the best actual football discussions happens here.

How do you guys feel about Wilfork so far? I think he looks better this year than he did last year. He gets pushed around on some plays, but can still hold his ground a lot of the time. He also gets good push on the OL every now and then. But it looks like he's often a step too slow when trying to tackle running backs. To me it looks like he doesn't get off blocks as fast as he used too. I choose to put this here because I think the best actual football discussions happens here.

I think you summed his season up well. We need to get him down to 35-40 snaps per game. Which we can do when Silega comes back. Hope Easley gets healthy too. Would help our interior pass rush.

He has a contract that I think makes him tradeable. But also very expensive for us. Most of his contract consist of base salary. There is $4m remaning of the prorated signing bonus. $2m for this season and $4m for next season.His base salary is guaranteed this year because the season has started, but I think that cap hit transfers to us.

The problem for us is that his base salary is $7,450m for each of the remaining 3 years of his deal. That's a lot of money. I don't think he's worth that.

I'd love to somehow pry Jon Bostic away from the Bears or Arthur Brown from the Ravens, but I can't see any way either would happen. Otherwise, I think the better option is to move Nink to MLB and trade for a DE.

Last edited:
With the midpoint of the 2014 season approaching, ASSUMING Revis and McCourty are extended, I would currently prioritize our 2015 defense needs as:

1. A starting caliber LDE to eventually succeed Nink, and to provide quality rotational depth.
2. Depth at LB.
3. Depth at DT.
4. A starting caliber safety opposite McCourty.

With the midpoint of the 2014 season approaching, ASSUMING Revis and McCourty are extended, I would currently prioritize our 2015 defense needs as:

1. A starting caliber LDE to eventually succeed Nink, and to provide quality rotational depth.
2. Depth at LB.
3. Depth at DT.
4. A starting caliber safety opposite McCourty.
I agree with you. I think we need to generate better pass rush. We give QBs way too much time now. Part of that will come from Easley on the inside(I have high hopes for him). But I think we need better pass rush from the LDE spot, and Ninkovich isn't getting younger. It would also give us quality depth while Ninkovich is still on the roster.

Depth at LB is crucial. Right now we are at a spot where linebacker have to be moved out of position if one injury occurs. We also don't know how Mayo will be next year. We need a versitile linebacker so we can keep with our schemes, even if one player goes down.

At DT we need to make a decision with Wilfork, again. Is he worth $6,6m next year?

Last edited:
There are some dt free agents out there too for a change. Right now; Suh, Fairley, McCoy, Knighton, Raji and Odrick could play some dt in our defense. Tough call on Vince. There is an intrinsic value to leadership. But, there has to be production on the field too. Have to admit that I would have let him go last year. He's exceeded my expectations actually.

It just seems like you don't get bang for your buck when you sign big-name free agent defensive linemen. I know there is the exception like a Reggie White. But, these guys are no Reggie's. More like; Haynesworth, Mario Williams,Kearse and a host of others. Usually, have to draft your pass rush.

The entire d line is playing on roller skates and the linebackers are not shedding and getting to the ball carrier.

The plan for the defense has to be bigger more athletic DTs and more depth at linebacker and safety.

Big day of news for the defense. Chandler Jones reportedly to miss a month, Akeem Ayers picked up from Tennessee, and Alan Branch reportedly being signed.

Personally, I'd love to see the Pats' run a 4-3 Under base:

LDE Branch - DT Wilfork - 3-Tech Jones/Easley - RDE Ninkovich
SAM Ayers - MLB Hightower - WLB Collins

Stand Ninkovich up and change the spacing, and you have a 1-gapping 3-4.

In sub, Hightower could move up to DL with Ayers and Collins as the LBs.

For the long term, a lot will depend on how Ayers and Branch work out.

I posted a speculative mock on the mock draft thread based on the idea of "what if Ayers and Branch work out, and are re-signed for 2015?" Way premature, and maybe not likely, but very appealing: Branch has the potential to be a veteran run stuffer who can play inside or out, and Ayers has positional versatility at LB and DE. Ayers is 25, and Branch is 29.

IF that happened, it would solve a lot of problems. DT/"big DE" would look like Wilfork, Easley, Branch, Siliga, Jones, Walker. If the Pats think that Wilfork is wearing down, the 2015 DT FA class looks strong. LB would have Mayo, Hightower, Collins and Ayers, with Morris coming off of IR, plus Nink able to rotate at LB. Edge rushers would include Jones, Ninkovich, Hightower, Collins, Moore and Buchanan.

In that scenario, my top 2 defensive priorities would probably be (1) a base DE to complement Chandler Jones and provide rotational depth, and (2) a starting caliber S opposite Devin McCourty. Shawn Oakman (with a trade up) and Jaquiski Tartt were the guys in my mock, but there are a number of good options.

I posted a speculative mock on the mock draft thread based on the idea of "what if Ayers and Branch work out, and are re-signed for 2015?" Way premature, and maybe not likely, but very appealing: Branch has the potential to be a veteran run stuffer who can play inside or out, and Ayers has positional versatility at LB and DE. Ayers is 25, and Branch is 29.

IF that happened, it would solve a lot of problems. DT/"big DE" would look like Wilfork, Easley, Branch, Siliga, Jones, Walker. If the Pats think that Wilfork is wearing down, the 2015 DT FA class looks strong. LB would have Mayo, Hightower, Collins and Ayers, with Morris coming off of IR, plus Nink able to rotate at LB. Edge rushers would include Jones, Ninkovich, Hightower, Collins, Moore and Buchanan.

In that scenario, my top 2 defensive priorities would probably be (1) a base DE to complement Chandler Jones and provide rotational depth, and (2) a starting caliber S opposite Devin McCourty. Shawn Oakman (with a trade up) and Jaquiski Tartt were the guys in my mock, but there are a number of good options.

Following up on this, and combining Manx's recent mock and mine (see the mock draft thread), we could possibly have something like this on defense:

DT: Vince Wilfork or a FA replacement (Terrance Knighton/Jared Odrick?), Dominique Easley, Allen Branch, Sealver Siliga, Chris Jones, Casey Walker or Terry Williams

DE: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Shawn Oakman or Shane Ray, Zach Moore, Michael Buchanan.

LB: Jerod Mayo, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Akeem Ayers, James Morris, Reshard Cliett (LB/S hybrid)

S: Devin McCourty, Jaquiski Tartt or Adrian Amos, Nate Ebner (LB/S hybrid), 1-2 of Pat Chung/Duron Harmon/Tavon Wilson

CB: Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner, Alfonzo Dennard, Logan Ryan, Kyle Arrington, Malcolm Butler

That's 27-28 players (6 DTs, 5 DEs, 6 LBs, 4-5 S, 6 CB), so there would be a couple of guys on the fringe, depending on injuries.

I'd be pretty happy with that as a starting point.

With rumours that Chandler Jones might be done for the season, one small nugget of consolation is that at least we'll get a good look at what pass rush there is beyond Chandler Jones.

With rumours that Chandler Jones might be done for the season, one small nugget of consolation is that at least we'll get a good look at what pass rush there is beyond Chandler Jones.

The defense did pretty well all things considered without Jones. Akeem Ayers looked surprisingly good, and Easley showed significant development. Mike Reiss had some encouraging 1st quarter notes:

1. Rookie Dominique Easley drew a critical holding penalty (12:42) that stunted the initial momentum the Bears had on the opening drive. He aligned in a two-point stance in a wide split to the outside shoulder of tight end Martellus Bennett, and took an initial step to the inside that initially opened up the edge for running back Matt Forte. But Easley showed good play recognition and the ability to shed Bennett’s block attempt to re-establish his outside position. That led Bennett to hold him, which looking back, was a big play in the game. Easley had talked about having patience on the edge compared to playing inside, and that was a good example as he filled in for the injured Chandler Jones. He was competitive on the edge again at 7:59 on a 4-yard Forte run.

2. Easley perfectly executed against a designed screen pass on third-and-19 on the opening drive, sacrificing his initial rush against left tackle Jermon Bushrod (6-foot-5, 320) to chip Forte. That effectively blew up the play. So we often talk about defensive linemen and their impact on the game through the lens of sacks and pressure, but Easley’s edge-setting and play recognition on drawing the hold, and then stopping the screen, were just as high-impact plays.

3. The play didn’t have the desired result, but after linebacker Jamie Collins rightfully took some heat for his struggles playing downhill in the running against the Chiefs on Sept. 29, his physicality showed up on the third play of the game (2-yard run, Forte, 14:00), when he exploded into the hole on third-and-1 and met Forte head-on. That’s the type of decisive, explosive play we’ve been looking for from Collins, who followed up with another nice play in tackling Forte on a 1-yard gain (13:17). Collins was solid against the run in this quarter in maybe his best 15-minute stretch of the season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...42/patriots-1st-quarter-review-easleys-impact

With all kinds of wild trade rumors being tossed around, I floated a hypothetic (and very, very unlikely) trade with the Giants for Jason Pierre-Paul, meant purely for speculation. Andy Johnson had this provocative reply:

This is all strictly my opinion and I don't have a lot to base this on other than perception, but I think the base is essentially dead. I think BB has decided that we see so much 3 wide that the new challenge for his defense is to figure out how to stop the run from the nickel. I think he has played more and more nickel, even when the opponent or situation doesn't dictate it because he sees teams on the schedule where we will play nickel on every 1st and 10.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/marshawn-a-patriot.1113010/page-3 (post #44)

An interesting idea. It could certainly change the type of defensive edge player that BB looks for in the draft. Thoughts?

A LDE like Reggie White or Dan Hampton would do the trick. Maybe, a big, rangy kid like Oakman?? He should be able to get his hands on the tackle and set a nice edge. Knock some passes down. I think it's dumb that Baylor uses him at RDE mostly. I 'd want him in the passing lane. Athletic enough to rush if it's a pass.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back