PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

Right now my personal DE rankings:

1a. Shawn Oakman. Comparison: a bigger, stronger Michael Johnson.

1b. Bud Dupree. Comparison: Ziggy Ansah.

3. Dante Fowler. Comparison: Melvin Ingram.

4. Arik Armstead. Comparison: Calais Campbell.

5. Shane Ray. Comparison: a more athletic Justin Houston.

6. Silique Calhoun. Comparison: a poor man's Aldon Smith, without the issues.

7. Vic Beasley. Comparison: a poor man's Von Miller.

8. Randy Gregory. Comparison: a better version of Manny Lawson.

I have Gregory first and then can't decide between Ray, fowler and Dupree with Oakman and Calhoun just behind. Haven't really watched Armstead or Beasley yet.

One more that I've watched a little bit of and liked is Theiren ****ran of Minnesota. He's 6'6" and about 250lbs. I liked the two games I saw of him but I'm not sure he's a three down guy.

I have Gregory first and then can't decide between Ray, fowler and Dupree with Oakman and Calhoun just behind. Haven't really watched Armstead or Beasley yet.

Wow. I can't figure out what you see in Gregory, but I'll be eager to find out. But with 6-8 1st round DEs of different styles and approaches, I'm hoping the Pats can land one to complement Chandler Jones, and allow Ninkovich to become a rotational "starter" at both DE and LB.

One more that I've watched a little bit of and liked is Theiren ****ran of Minnesota. He's 6'6" and about 250lbs. I liked the two games I saw of him but I'm not sure he's a three down guy.

I also still like Shiquille Riddick of West Virginia as a rotational sub rusher and backup.

Right now my personal DE rankings:

1a. Shawn Oakman. Comparison: a bigger, stronger Michael Johnson.

1b. Bud Dupree. Comparison: Ziggy Ansah.

3. Dante Fowler. Comparison: Melvin Ingram.

4. Arik Armstead. Comparison: Calais Campbell.

5. Shane Ray. Comparison: a more athletic Justin Houston.

6. Silique Calhoun. Comparison: a poor man's Aldon Smith, without the issues.

7. Vic Beasley. Comparison: a poor man's Von Miller.

8. Randy Gregory. Comparison: a better version of Manny Lawson.

Excellent job on this. Very interesting to see if bb ends up using a high draft pick on this position.

Interesting read from Mike Reiss on the Pats' "interchangeable defense" against Manning and the Broncos:

This was all about the "interchangeable defense."

For most of the game, the Patriots played a 4-2-5 nickel that had Ninkovich and Akeem Ayersas hybrid end-of-the-line players. Their job was to work in concert with off-the-line linebackersJamie Collins and Dont'a Hightower to take away Peyton Manning's go-to play -- the over route paired with a shallow crosser.

To simplify, this is how the defense approached things:
  • If Collins or Hightower rushed up the middle -- they showed quite a bit of pre-snap pressure looks over the center in the game -- it was on Ninkovich or Ayers to drop back into coverage in their place.
  • If Collins or Hightower backed out into coverage, then Ninkovich and Ayers would play more of the traditional defensive end role.
"You have to change it up," Ninkovich explained. "Having [Hightower] and Jamie, those guys can get inside and rush well on backs and also on guards, and when they do that, you have ends that can drop back and cover. So you're able to switch things up and it's all interchangeable."

I'll have to wait for the All-22 and some more detailed film analysis (Andy Johnson, that means you!), but if correct, that's very interesting. It's sort of a sub package twist on the hybrid 3-4 they ran earlier in the year with Jones and Ninkovich alternating between 5-Tech and OLB. [/quote]

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...71510/interchangeable-defense-sparks-patriots

Very interesting. I'll be curious to see if the All-22 film review bears this out. It sounds like a bit of a twist on what the Pats were doing earlier this year in base, with Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich alternating between 5-Tech and OLB in a hybrid 3-4.

Bud Dupree and Dante Fowler would be perfect fits for this kind of stuff.

Interesting read from Mike Reiss on the Pats' "interchangeable defense" against Manning and the Broncos:

I'll have to wait for the All-22 and some more detailed film analysis (Andy Johnson, that means you!), but if correct, that's very interesting. It's sort of a sub package twist on the hybrid 3-4 they ran earlier in the year with Jones and Ninkovich alternating between 5-Tech and OLB.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...71510/interchangeable-defense-sparks-patriots

Very interesting. I'll be curious to see if the All-22 film review bears this out. It sounds like a bit of a twist on what the Pats were doing earlier this year in base, with Chandler Jones and Rob Ninkovich alternating between 5-Tech and OLB in a hybrid 3-4.

Bud Dupree and Dante Fowler would be perfect fits for this kind of stuff.[/QUOTE]

Yes they would. Curious to know how you envision Iakman fitting into thi sort of defense. Did Branch get any snaps, I didn't notice him? And whilst I'm happy to give him time, I don't get impatient with rookies, Easley does need to start producing at some point.

Curious to know how you envision Iakman fitting into this sort of defense.

I think that Oakman has Chandler Jones kind of ability to stand up from time to time and play 3-4 OLB, and fits perfectly into what we were doing earlier in the season with Jones and Ninkovich in the base. I don't think that he's anywhere near as mobile as Collins, Hightower, Ninkovich and Ayers, and that Fowler and Dupree are better fits for the role that Reiss describes.

Did Branch get any snaps, I didn't notice him? And whilst I'm happy to give him time, I don't get impatient with rookies, Easley does need to start producing at some point.

I think Easley did fine setting the edge. The game plan called for more interior disruption. Easley is doing what BB asks of him, and playing out of position.

I'm not sure about Branch. Waiting for Reiss' snap count.

Ayers looks like a much better find and fit than I had expected. I've never been particularly high on him, but he has shown nice versatility, athleticism, intelligence and effort. He seems like a smart guy who understands his role. A bit like Ninkovich in that regard. Assuming his knees aren't a long term issue (and so far they haven't been an issue) and that he continues to do well, I hope the Pats extend him. That would give them 4 players along with Collins, Ninkovich and Hightower that can do a lot of things.

Here's the snaps mayo. Ayers played 77/82. Ninkovich all 82.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Vince Wilfork -- 62 of 82
Chris Jones -- 41 of 82
Dominique Easley -- 32 of 82
Casey Walker -- 18 of 82
Alan Branch -- 12 of 82

Collins and Hightower played all 82. Glad we have the week off. Casillas 1.

CORNERBACK
Darrelle Revis -- 81 of 82
Brandon Browner -- 81 of 82
Kyle Arrington -- 54 of 82
Malcolm Butler -- 36 of 82
Logan Ryan -- 4 of 82
SAFETY
Devin McCourty -- 82 of 82
Patrick Chung -- 69 of 82
Duron Harmon -- 3 of 83
Tavon Wilson -- 3 of 83

Here's the snaps mayo. Ayers played 77/82. Ninkovich all 82.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE
Vince Wilfork
-- 62 of 82
Chris Jones -- 41 of 82
Dominique Easley -- 32 of 82
Casey Walker -- 18 of 82
Alan Branch -- 12 of 82

Collins and Hightower played all 82. Glad we have the week off. Casillas 1.

CORNERBACK
Darrelle Revis
-- 81 of 82
Brandon Browner -- 81 of 82
Kyle Arrington -- 54 of 82
Malcolm Butler -- 36 of 82
Logan Ryan -- 4 of 82
SAFETY
Devin McCourty
-- 82 of 82
Patrick Chung -- 69 of 82
Duron Harmon -- 3 of 83
Tavon Wilson -- 3 of 83

Wowm that's impressive. The Pats essentially got Chandler Jones kind of snaps and production out of Ayers, a guy for whom they traded a late 6th for a likely early 7th. Reiss noted:

Unexpected to see Ayers, who just arrived two weeks ago, excel in a front-line role. That is a credit to him and the coaching staff for an interchangeable defensive game plan that tapped the versatility of Ninkovich, Ayers, Jamie Collins and Dont'a Hightowerto disguise intentions and keep Denver quarterback Peyton Manning guessing on who was coming. Ayers, who has experience playing both on and off the line of scrimmage, mostly lined up at right defensive end.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...sive-snaps-akeem-ayers-a-big-part-of-the-plan

Glad to see Branch also got into the action. And I expect Jonathan Casillas (1 snap) to get some action in sub packages against Andrew Luck, too.

The Broncos and Colts back-to-back with a bye week in-between is nice. Those teams are fairly similar in style.

Do the Colts run two te's sets? With Allen and Fleeney?? Or 3 WR? If they go 2 TE, we'll have to stay in base. I haven't really watched them much this year. Bradshaw appears to be running hard and Trent Richardson looks better. Will get a good look at them tonight.

My "blueprint" for the D for 2015 is getting pretty simple:

1. Extend Revis and McCourty
2. Exercise 5th year options on Jones and Hightower, and look towards extending both.
3. Re-sign Chung and Ayers
4. See how Branch and Casillas develop, and re-sign them if they fill niches
5. Figure out how much Wilfork has left in the tank, and how to proceed with the DT position
6. Draft a versatile DE with explosiveness to add into the mix; Bud Dupree, Shawn Oakman, Dante Fowler and Shane Ray all deserve consideration

I'm hoping that Branch will shore up the interior run defense and that Casillas will provide the coverage LB that we have lacked. Ayers is shaping up to be another "chess piece" that BB can move around. Chung has vastly exceeded my expectations (as has Wendell on offense - 2 moves that I hated, proving once again how much smarter BB is than me).

A stud DE would allow Ninkovich and Ayers to both be used as "wild cards", lining up at both DE and LB, and providing critical depth and rotation.

Last edited:
There wasn't one person on defense that I thought did ba
Do the Colts run two te's sets? With Allen and Fleeney?? Or 3 WR? If they go 2 TE, we'll have to stay in base. I haven't really watched them much this year. Bradshaw appears to be running hard and Trent Richardson looks better. Will get a good look at them tonight.

Maybe stick with the 4-2-5 but put Browner on one of the TEs again. Casillas also seems like someone who could match up with a TE.

2. Exercise 5th year options on Jones and Hightower, and look towards extending both.
6. Figure out how much Wilfork has left in the tank, and how to proceed with the DT position
7. Draft a versatile DE with explosiveness to add into the mix; Bud Dupree, Shawn Oakman, Dante Fowler and Shane Ray all deserve consideration

I'm hoping that Branch will shore up the interior run defense and that Casillas will provide the coverage LB that we have lacked. Ayers is shaping up to be another "chess piece" that BB can move around. Chung has vastly exceeded my expectations (as has Wendell on offense - 2 moves that I hated, proving once again how much smarter BB is than me).

A stud DE would allow Ninkovich and Ayers to both be used as "wild cards", lining up at both DE and LB, and providing critical depth and rotation.

Can't disagree with any of this. I'm very glad to see that Hightower is winning former critics over.

Yes, they do run more 2-TE sets than Denver, but also a lot of 3 WR sets. Here's their snap count against the Bengals and Steelers:

http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapoli...nap-count-moncrief-gets-more-snaps-than-nicks
http://espn.go.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/8552/snap-count

Can't disagree with any of this. I'm very glad to see that Hightower is winning former critics over.

It's very hard to find fault with his performance this year. I always thought he had talent, but I didn't understand how he fit before. I am more than happy to revise my assessment.

It's very hard to find fault with his performance this year. I always thought he had talent, but I didn't understand how he fit before. I am more than happy to revise my assessment.

The one. The Only.

996835_467490633332292_958571573_n.jpg

5. Figure out how much Wilfork has left in the tank, and how to proceed with the DT position
6. Draft a versatile DE with explosiveness to add into the mix; Bud Dupree, Shawn Oakman, Dante Fowler and Shane Ray all deserve consideration

There are a lot of things to be addressed here, and some developments to follow. But for working purposes, let's assume that 1-4 happens, that either Wilfork stays or is replaced by a FA (Knighton, Odrick, Fairley) and that the Pats draft a DE/OLB in the first round. Then our 2015 defense would look something like this:

DE: Chandler Jones, rookie, Ninkovich, Ayers, Moore, Buchanan.
DT: Wilfork/FA, Easley, Branch, Siliga, Jones, Walker.
LB: Mayo, Hightower, Collins, Casillas. Ninkovich and Ayers rotating at LB as well, and possibly also a rookie.
S: McCourty, Chung, Ebner, Wilson, Harmon. Ryan and Arrington could also get snaps at safety.
CB: Revis, Browner, Dennard, Ryan, Arrington, Butler.

That's 27 players, not including STers Chris White and Don Jones, but it gives a general idea. I still wouldn't mind bringing in a safety to compete with Wilson and Harmon for depth, or a LB/S hybrid.

Dont see any talking about cut or resign Mayo - Hes a 10.5mill lb and played less then 12 games the last 2 years

Dont see any talking about cut or resign Mayo - Hes a 10.5mill lb and played less then 12 games the last 2 years

Mayo doesn't need to be re-signed, as he's under contract. I don't see him being cut. BB and the team clearly value him. A restructure is always a possibility, but I'm willing to wait and see how the other moves and the overall cap situation pan out.

Mayo doesn't need to be re-signed, as he's under contract. I don't see him being cut. BB and the team clearly value him. A restructure is always a possibility, but I'm willing to wait and see how the other moves and the overall cap situation pan out.

To play Devil's Advocate, Andy has interpreted Reiss' preliminary analysis (pending more detailed analysis) as the Pats running a 2-4-5 nickel most of the game against Denver. I'm not sure that Mayo fits that scheme particularly well - he's really more of a pure LB. If you want to put 2 big bodies in the middle and have 4 guys standing up who can play interchangeably, then I could see Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins and Akeem Ayers all fitting in nicely. Even Dominique Easley could play in that scheme. Bud Dupree, Dante Fowler, Shilique Calhoun and Shane Ray all fit perfectly.

See also:

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/9/21/1047264/the-2-4-5-and-1-5-5-revealed
http://www.fanaticalyankee.com/asso...the-245-amorphous-d-is-the-next-great-defense

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back