PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

1. Trade Jerod Mayo and our 2015 1st round pick to Chicago for CB Kyle Fuller.

Fuller was the best Bears player last season, the only way they would trade him is for a ton of picks.

Bingo.

No Offense to the Idea of trading Mayo to the Bears, but:

01 ~ Mayo's 29 and has missed 20 of the last 32 Games.

02 ~ He's recovering from a Patellar Tendon Tear, so shouldn't be expected at 100% until 2016.

03 ~ So if we offered him to the Bears for free, they'd probably laugh and counter offer with Jay Cutler. :eek:

04 ~ Fuller cost the Bears #14 last Year and kicked @$$.

05 ~ Offer them #32 and a crippling Salary and they're gonna call Security. :eek:

Last edited:
The most important Step, as terrifying as it was, was to cut Revis loose.

And Mad Bill, once again, had the Courage to Do The Right Thing.

For that, I applaud him!!
beer.gif

Talk is, the Patriots might be in talks to acquire Evan Mathis. Lets hope its a trade for a player like Mayo, Tavon wilson, or even Patrick Chung. Hopefully its not a draft pick.
Although Mathis is pretty old, he's still Elite when healthy. With the way FA went, were going to need a guard who can step in right away and produce. It would allows us to tale someone like Ali Merpet and worry a little less about him starting right away.

It's a truly fascinating OffSeason we're looking at.

I have absolutely no idea what Mad Bill's Plan is, or if I'll even like it when it becomes moderately apparent, but I'm sure it'll be an Hell of a Ride!! Hopefully, we're not going back to the awful memories of certain Years whose Secondaries are best forgotten...But I can't blame'm for torching a framework that would've crippled our Salary Cap, going forward, by tying 1/8th of our Cap to a CornerBack passing his Peak.
What's the plan?

Waiting for prices to come down in unrestricted free agency.

What's the plan?

Waiting for prices to come down in unrestricted free agency.

I referred to the Plan, my good man, not the plan.

You referred to a Tactic, you see.

I wrote of Strategy.

Am I the only one that can't believe the skins got Terrence Pot roast for 4 million on a one year deal. For that price, where the hell where we? I feel like our front office is on vacation!

Am I the only one that can't believe the skins got Terrence Pot roast for 4 million on a one year deal. For that price, where the hell where we? I feel like our front office is on vacation!

Never make the mistake of judging BB's FA movements until after the final moves are made. He has to be one of the most patient GMs in the game. He will have a plan.

Never make the mistake of judging BB's FA movements until after the final moves are made. He has to be one of the most patient GMs in the game. He will have a plan.

Also why did the Raiders say no to Knighton if Del Rio is so close to him and he is so affordable. There has to be something more to the story (e.g. weight related) especially if Wilfork gets contract offers around 10m/2y. This whole situation smells a bit..

Also why did the Raiders say no to Knighton if Del Rio is so close to him and he is so affordable. There has to be something more to the story (e.g. weight related) especially if Wilfork gets contract offers around 10m/2y. This whole situation smells a bit..

The signing also came on the day that Murray signed for the Eagles. I wonder if the Redskins panicked a bit thinking they needed someone who could play the run.

The signing also came on the day that Murray signed for the Eagles. I wonder if the Redskins panicked a bit thinking they needed someone who could play the run.

I read that knighton tried to play hard ball with them and was trying to get 8 mill a season, and they got Dan williams for 6. On top of it, it said he is currently over weight.

I doubt they "panicked". I mean, he was already in their division, and had a possibility to return to Dallas from the get go. TK for 4 million is a steal in my eyes. Especially on a one year deal!

With FA signings settling out, the picture seems to be clarifying a bit:

DT: Alan Branch has re-signed, so the Pats currently have Branch, Sealver Siliga and Chris Jones, plus Dominique Easley as a hybrid DT/DE. Nick Fairley is a Ram, Terrance Knighton is a Redskin, Dan Williams is a Raider, Kendall Langford is a Colt, and Vince Wilfork reportedly has multiple offers at more money than the Pats would spend. That leaves Ahtyba Rubin and Kenrick Ellis still on the market, either of whom would be a fine pick up at the right price.

EDGE: The Pats got their guy in Jabaal Sheard, at a discount compared to most of the other EDGE signings. Jerry Hughes, Derrick Morgan, Brandon Graham all re-signed with their teams at fairly hefty money. Akeem Ayers is a Ram. Michael Johnson went back to the Bengals, Brian Orapko signed with the Titans, and Jason Worries retired. Greg Hardy is the big FA name still on the market, but he has a number of issues.

Off-LOS: Jonathan Casillas signed with the Giants. The Pats have kicked the tires on Colin McCarthy, who would be an upgrade.

S: The picture seems pretty set with the re-signing of Devin McCourty and the same group back. I'd still kick the tires on prying Kenny Vaccaro free from the Saints.

CB: The big question mark for the Pats. Almost all the top players are off the market. Barring a trade for Jason McCourty or Keenan Lewis, a veteran like Peanut Tillman might be the best short term option.

I'd be pretty content - at least as content as I could be after losing Revis and Browner and messing up my entire blueprint - with something like the following:

Big DT: Branch and Siliga, plus sign one of Rubin/Ellis.

Hyrbid DT/DE: Easley and Marcus Hardison (draft). Chris Jones is my odd man out, but he's a placeholder for now.

EDGE: Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins and Sheard make this perhaps the deepest and strongest group on the team. I can't see Hardy with the Pats. Michael Buchanan and Zach Moore will compete for back of the roster spots, perhaps with a rookie (Max Valles is still my day 3 guy).

Off-LOS LB: Mayo will likely be back, which is a plus. Colin McCarthy is a good addition, or someone like Ben Heeney in the draft. The Pats were reportedly high on James Morris last year, before he got hurt.

S: McCourty, Chung, Harmon, Wilson and Ebner is a strong group. I'd still like Vaccaro.

CB: Sign a vet like Tillman and go with Tillman, Arrington, Butler, Ryan and Chung. Add 1-2 CBs via the draft in the top 4 rounds. Marcus Peters, Byron Jones, Kevin Johnson, PJ Williams and Quentin Rollins are day 1-2 options, and Eric Rowe, Ronald Darby, Josh Shaw and Nick Marshall are day 2-3 options.

The back end is still in flux, and not where I wanted to be, but it's a start. The front 6/7 would be more athletic and aggressive.

I wonder if the Pats will sign a vet CB just to have one..

Until recently the Pats have been loath to play rookie CBs "too early" but this preseason despite having a lot of penciled-in CBs Malcolm Butler was on the field for essentially the entire preseason. Started games 2 through 3 across from Revis just to ensure he'd get the ball thrown at him. All to aid in his development and for the Pats to see what he had.

If they like their young corners (Dennard, Butler, Ryan) maybe they take them direct into the "September preseason" and give them lots of playing time and only look around for a vet trade in October if they need it.

Tom Curran speculates about the possibility of the Pats making a run at Greg Hardy:

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/will-greg-hardy-be-board-patriots

Hard for me to imagine. But you never know.

He's a better football player than our de's; Chandler Jones, Ninko and Sheard. How much? I don't think our guys are suited to slide inside. In fact, one of our inside guys can slide outside. Dominique Easley. I'm not buying this one. If he were a cb, I guess there's a chance. Given his football position. Not seeing it.

Pats sign CB Bradley Fletcher. Ethan Hammerman comments:
Patriots are looking at primarily press CBs for what it's worth. I don't think they deviate from man scheme as much as others in '15.

https://twitter.com/Ethanhamm/status/578040564077191168

I really don't want to see them go more zone. Press-man fits so much better with the front end of the defense, and is a better approach to the current passing game, IMO. My only question is, why dump Browner? I understand that he benefitted from Revis locking down the other side, but if you are going to try to stick with press-man he's still a valuable piece.

Ethan Hammerman also notes, FWIW:
Every year the Patriots have made the Super Bowl, they've played primarily man coverage/press man.

I wonder if he's Malcolm Butler insurance. Start Butler and your 1st rounder. Arrington is the nickel. 3 backups are Dennard, Ryan and Fletcher.

I wonder if he's Malcolm Butler insurance. Start Butler and your 1st rounder. Arrington is the nickel. 3 backups are Dennard, Ryan and Fletcher.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see Alfonzo Dennard traded, as he's in a contract year, and costs a bit much for depth. But it's too early to tell. I think that if Fletcher looks like he's working out that Dennard could possibly be traded in August.

Ellis to the Giants. One of the bigger disappointments of FA so far for me.. seemed like a great fit..

@AdamSchefter: Giants are signing Kenrick Ellis to a one-year deal today.

I still wouldn't be shocked to see Alfonzo Dennard traded, as he's in a contract year, and costs a bit much for depth. But it's too early to tell. I think that if Fletcher looks like he's working out that Dennard could possibly be traded in August.

I'm mulling Dennard and a 2nd this year for Jason McCourty:)

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back