PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

From time to time, I jot down a list names that I'd put on a draft game entry if the draft were tomorrow. I've just looked back over my lists and noticed that Eric Rowe was on every single version. :)

Given that CBs have been drafted very aggressively in recent years, I'm thinking round 3 is probably his floor.

I think that's likely. But I had Richard Sherman as a round 3 or later binky in 2011. You never know.

For now, I've got Rowe penciled in in the 96-102 range. He may well go sooner. I'd move up for him if necessary, depending on how the earlier part of the draft goes and the other targets.

But I had Richard Sherman as a round 3 or later binky in 2011. You never know.

I was not a believer in Sherman. I prefer to bury that memory, and focus entirely on my conviction about J.J. Watt. ;)

I was not a believer in Sherman. I prefer to bury that memory, and focus entirely on my conviction about J.J. Watt. ;)

I had Vereen and Ingram so that's nice. 2011 was my first year though before I knew what I was talking about and before I did much scouting.

I thought Cam Jordan would be better than Watt. Jordan is excellent, but ...

I thought Cam Jordan would be better than Watt. Jordan is excellent, but ...

I remember that Da'Quan Bowers was the consensus #1 pick for a while that year.

Yeah, I thought/hoped that if he didn't draft Sheard, then Bill would at least take Bowers. Better late
than never, I guess.

As for the now, Bill should've kept Browner, signed Tarell Brown, and told the grotesquely over-paid pair of Fletcher and McClain to Feck-Off.

As for the now, Bill should've kept Browner, signed Tarell Brown, and told the grotesquely over-paid pair of Fletcher and McClain to Feck-Off.

"Grotesquely over-paid"? Combined, they account for all of $250k in guaranteed money -- trivially easy cuts. They'll only get paid if they earn it by showing well in TC. I don't expect much of either player, but I don't see a ton of downside in the camp competition.

As for Browner, I guess I'm the only one who had mixed feelings about him to start with. He seemed like such a mixed of assets and liabilities that he netted out to very average to me.

That said, they need a #1 CB, period. Hard to picture finding that past the 1st round in this draft, so I've torn up all my Jake Fisher mocks. :)

I had Vereen and Ingram so that's nice. 2011 was my first year though before I knew what I was talking about and before I did much scouting.
That was my first year as well and I was all over everything that year. Three picks in the first 33 picks made me foam at the mouth. So much pass rushing talent that year.. Smith, Quinn, Jordan, and of course, Watt.

"Grotesquely over-paid"? Combined, they account for all of $250k in guaranteed money -- trivially easy cuts. They'll only get paid if they earn it by showing well in TC. I don't expect much of either player, but I don't see a ton of downside in the camp competition.

As for Browner, I guess I'm the only one who had mixed feelings about him to start with. He seemed like such a mixed of assets and liabilities that he netted out to very average to me.

That said, they need a #1 CB, period. Hard to picture finding that past the 1st round in this draft, so I've torn up all my Jake Fisher mocks. :)

Not the only one with mixed feelings....

As for Browner, I guess I'm the only one who had mixed feelings about him to start with.

He seemed like such a mixed of assets and liabilities that he netted out to very average to me.

You may very well've been, as my feelings were not mixed, either. ;)

I'll always remember the lad fondly for That Play, but I mocked us signing Revis and Cromartie last Year.

I'm firmly in the pro Browner camp. I loved the physicality and ability to match up against bigger WRs that he brought. I don't think it was any coincidence that the team started turning around after he got off his suspension - one of many elements that contributed to that change, but an important one. His presence next to Revis allowed the secondary and the defense as a whole to get much more physical and aggressive. And I don't think it's a coincidence that the 4 SBs all came with that kind of physical presence in the secondary (even though the 2004 unit was banged up). I will miss him greatly, and I suspect the Pats will, too.

04 team had Asante, Blue Gay and Earthwind Moreland. Wouldn't call any of them physical. I know they had Rodney. We conveniently forget all the points that we gave up after penalties by Browner extended drives. For as well as we remember this defense. The 2014 D gave up 29 less points than the 2011 D in the regular season. And, in 3 playoff games gave up 62 points compared to 51 for the 2011 team.

I heard Traglia on the radio today. He thinks cb and dt is the way to go in the NFL Draft. We might be able to pull something off like this. CB at 32. I like 5 first rounders; Waynes, Peters, Collins, Johnson and Jones. Sit at 32. One will be available. I've seen a lot of mocks with Carl Davis going 50 ish. Trade up for him. 64 and 96. Might kick in 7th too. Take a guard at 97. A guy like Jamil Douglas could be every bit the pro other prominent names we all talk about become.

04 team had Asante, Blue Gay and Earthwind Moreland. Wouldn't call any of them physical. I know they had Rodney. We conveniently forget all the points that we gave up after penalties by Browner extended drives. For as well as we remember this defense. The 2014 D gave up 29 less points than the 2011 D in the regular season. And, in 3 playoff games gave up 62 points compared to 51 for the 2011 team.

As I said, injuries were a major factor with the 2004 secondary. That team started with Ty Law and Ty Poole at CB, plus Rodney and Geno Williams at safety. That was a physical secondary. If you prefer the 2011 version, you're welcome to it.

We won the SB on a play where one aggressive CB jammed a receiver who was trying to set a pick and threw the target receiver off his route, and another CB was more aggressive than the intended receiver at getting to the target spot.

And, the kid who made the INT is back. If we lost to Baltimore, Revis and Browner are getting lambasted on here.

And, the kid who made the INT is back. If we lost to Baltimore, Revis and Browner are getting lambasted on here.

Not by me.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. I'm happy to discuss alternatives. I wanted a physical secondary that could play predominantly press-man coverage with a lot of off-man and zone mixed in with pre- and post-snap adjustments. That's what I had identified as a key area in this blueprint well prior to Revis and Browner coming on board. That's what we got last year. That's what I want to get back to as quickly as possible, recognizing that there will have to be some less aggressive interim version this year. Personally, I thought Browner was terrific for us last year, and I would never have let him walk. It's just one more piece to be replaced to get back to where we were with him. But that's water under the bridge, and we move on.

The combination of Malcolm Butler and Alfonso Dennard can play cb as well as Browner. We won't be able to replace Revis's performance. I'm guessing we draft a cb in the first. He will prob have to start. Devin McCourty had a pretty darn good rookie season. I think you're over-rating Browner. As I said before, his penalties have the same result as a completed pass. We gripe about cb's who allow completed passes. Seem to overlook needless penalties.

The combination of Malcolm Butler and Alfonso Dennard can play cb as well as Browner. We won't be able to replace Revis's performance. I'm guessing we draft a cb in the first. He will prob have to start. Devin McCourty had a pretty darn good rookie season. I think you're over-rating Browner. As I said before, his penalties have the same result as a completed pass. We gripe about cb's who allow completed passes. Seem to overlook needless penalties.

We disagree, fairly strongly.

Browner played well overall but I won't miss his dumb penalties.

I don't think BB will take CB with the first unless he's sold on the prospect. He's not gonna reach for a player just to fill a need. I wouldn't be surprised if he goes DT and try to make the front 7 vicious.

But say we get Byron jones in he first, what do you guys think of Quentin Rollins in the fourth? I think both are good players and should be able to contribute early.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back