PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

Meanwhile #2, sub rusher, seems to be the least discussed of the "need areas" around here. Are we content with Michael Buchanan as the top backup at DE? Are we counting on Armstead (who the Patriots list as a DE on their roster)?

Focusing on the long frames the Pats seem to target right now, and looking for some versatility rather than a pure Marc Anderson-type sub rushers, I could see picks like:

Round 2: Trent Murphy
Round 4-5: Will Clarke
Round 6: Zach Moore

Meanwhile, Dee Ford apparently will have a visit with the Pats:

Auburn DE Dee Ford to Visit Patriots - Pats Pulpit

Unlikely, IMO, but it would certainly shake things up.

Mayoclinc, you mentioned earlier the DE class is weak this year.

If Dee Ford is in the DE top tier, would the value be too great for the pats to pass on at #29 draft spot?

Now I have to go watch more Ford to see what I missed. I definitely didn't see the Pats using an invite on him.

I tend to see Ford as mainly a 1 trick pony right now, but his trick is pretty good. If the goal is to get more disruptive and generate pressure, this is interesting.

Here's Grid's report on Ford:

Category: Dee Ford -

I keep going back to the Greg Cosell article on the Seahawk's moves in FA from a year ago (see post #33 above):

In a passing league, what must you do? You must rush the quarterback, and you must cover receivers. That’s the Cliff's Notes version. The devil is always in the details. What the Seahawks have done is draft and sign players that give them tremendous pass rush versatility -- and just as important, disruption on the outside versus wide receivers.

Go back a year to the 2012 NFL draft. All we heard when Seattle selected Bruce Irvin with the 15th overall pick in the first round was, “what a reach.” Those same “experts” would then tell you in the next breath that rushing the quarterback is the most important defensive element in today’s NFL. And by the way, Irvin played 46 percent of the snaps in his rookie season, including the playoffs, recording 11 sacks. But there’s a much larger point at work here. It’s how you scheme pass rush pressure. With Irvin, a returning Chris Clemons, and newly signed Cliff Avril, the Seahawks have three players who can align anywhere in their nickel sub-package. They all have what we call “Joker” ability, the talent to line up in either 3-point or 2-point stances and rush from different positions and angles.

What you have is an ideal mix of physical athleticism, and multiple schemes. It’s the new age pressure concepts in the NFL. It’s very difficult to line up with four defensive linemen in conventional positions, and create consistent pressure on the quarterback. Not only is it difficult to find four players who can do that, it’s tactically easier for the offense to protect against those more basic fronts. What defenses are trying to accomplish is pass protection indecision based on front alignments, coupled with athletic mismatches. The Seahawks are well positioned to do that with their personnel.

Let’s not forget Bennett. In Tampa last season, he played defensive end in the base 4-3, and then moved inside to tackle in the nickel and dime sub-packages. His pass rush quickness was not only a problem for offensive guards, it allowed him to be effective with stunts, another tactic that creates hesitation and confusion in pass protection schemes. The bottom line is this: the Seahawks have constructed a multi-dimensional combination of talent with speed, athleticism, and position and scheme versatility. That’s what’s necessary in the NFL of 2013 and beyond.

The picture is not complete, however. The Seahawks made a commitment to big, physical corners, players who were not held in the same high value around the league because they did not possess what has long been regarded as the necessary attributes of lateral quickness, dynamic change of direction and timed speed. Richard Sherman was a former wide receiver at Stanford who switched to corner his final two years. The Seahawks selected the 6’3” Sherman in the fifth round of the 2011 draft. He is arguably the best cornerback in the NFL entering the 2013 season. 6’4” Brandon Browner was undrafted out of Oregon State in 2005; again, he was seen as too slow and not quick enough to play NFL corner. The Seahawks signed him as a free agent after 4 seasons with the Calgary Stampeders of the Canadian Football League.

Gus Bradley, the Seahawks defensive coordinator the last four seasons before becoming the Jacksonville Jaguars' head coach in January, summed it up best. He once said, “Whatever scheme you play, you’ve got to create disruption at the perimeter.” With Sherman and Browner, the Seahawks do that more consistently and better than any team in the NFL. Disruption outside with taller, more aggressive corners; pass rush flexibility and adaptability with athletic and versatile hybrids who can align all over.

That’s the template for defensive success in a passing league.

Yahoo

IF the Pats are trying to implement something like this, they've certainly addressed the "disruption at the perimeter part". Dee Ford - like Jeremiah Attaochu, Demarcus Lawrence and Marcus Smith, and certainly like Jamie Collins (and to a lesser degree Dont'a Hightower and Rob Ninkovich) - certainly fits a model of "pass rush flexibility and adaptability with athletic and versatile hybrids with who can align all over", guys with " 'Joker' ability, the talent to line up in either 3-point or 2-point stances and rush from different positions and angles."

I'm not at all sure I would consider Ford at 29 (I'd rather have Attaochu, Lawrence or Smith at 62), but I like the fact that the Pats are showing some interest in this kind of player. I'd love to see them put together a "multi-dimensional combination of talent with speed, athleticism, and position and scheme versatility" to complement the secondary. It will be interesting to see if they show interest in some of the other guys who fit this basic mold.

I tend to see Ford as mainly a 1 trick pony right now, but his trick is pretty good. If the goal is to get more disruptive and generate pressure, this is interesting.

I went and quickly watched the first half of the Alabama game for Ford's defensive snaps on Draft Breakdown. First off he's too small to play against RT's in the NFL. As it was he was getting handled TE Brian Vogler who granted is 6'7" 260 never mind Bama's RT and even the RBs. If Vogler can destoy him in the running game and contain him in the passing game imagine what Vollmer will do. I know it's one half but I had watched quite a bit of him previously and it just reaffirmed that I don't think he'll be very good at the next level.

What is your opinion of Jeremiah Attaochu?

From the few clips I saw, Attaochu has very quick first step and a "violent aggression" playing style.

He is raw at setting the edge in the run game and not naturally instinctive in pass coverage but would bring speed and attitude to DE position.

He didn't participate at the combine because of his hamstring, right?

Mayoclinc, you mentioned earlier the DE class is weak this year.

If Dee Ford is in the DE top tier, would the value be too great for the pats to pass on at #29 draft spot?

If you are looking not a base DE's but at sub-rushers/hybrid edge players, then the draft is fairly strong. Using NFL DraftScout rankings:

7. Khalil Mack, Buffalo (6'3" 251#)
10. Anthony Barr, UCLA (6'5" 255#)
29: Dee Ford, Auburn (6'2" 252#)
64: Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech (6'3" 252#)
71. Marcus Smith, Louisville (6'3" 251#)
90. Demarcus Lawrence, Boise St. (6'3" 251#)

Mack is obviously out of range and probably Barr, but the other 4 guys are interesting. Marcus Smith has already gotten a lot of attention on this thread. Attaochu and Lawrence are flying a bit under the radar at the moment. ESPN's Kevin Weidl recently noted of Lawrence:

Boise State DE Demarcus Lawrence is the one of the most intriguing prospects I have watched on tape this offseason. The 6-foot-3 and 251-pound Lawrence is an above-average athlete that possesses excellent length (33¾) along with active and heavy hands (11 inches). While he is a bit linear in his lower body, Lawrence plays with quality leverage and uses his length well to lock out blockers when setting the edge.

His biggest upside comes as a pass-rusher. Lawrence has ideal length, above-average first step quickness, active hands and most important displays tremendous flexibility throughout his torso. This allows him to not only transition speed-to-power but also provides him the ability to bend the edge and finish at the top of his rush which is not often seen at the collegiate level.

Lawrence is a junior college transfer (Butler CC in Kansas) who has just two years of FBS experience and still has some developing to do in terms of instincts and recognition skills. He also comes with some character baggage and will likely need to transition from mostly playing with his hand in the dirt as a true DE to a SLB or 34 OLB at the next level. He does not have ideal experience dropping into coverage or playing in space and may need time adapting in terms of awareness and angles in drop zones.

Combined these issues and it could bring some minor concerns from teams. However, Lawrence has been productive registering 34 tackles for loss and 19 sacks in two seasons at Boise State. He displays the natural athleticism to make the transition to a stand-up linebacker and has favorable frame to continue to add bulk and increase his strength and power. Teams like the Bengals, Cardinals and Saints, who are looking for pass-rushing help from an edge linebacker could find strong return on Lawrence in the Day 2 range.

ESPN.com Draft Blog: Kevin Weidl on promising NFL draft prospects - ESPN (Insider content)

Greg Gabriel of the NFP profiled Ford, Attaochu and Lawrence recently, and gave them nearly identical grades:

NFL Prospect Focus: Dee Ford and Jeremiah Attaochu | National Football Post
NFL prospect focus: Demarcus Lawrence | National Football Post

This is an interesting group to watch.

What is your opinion of Jeremiah Attaochu?

From the few clips I saw, Attaochu has very quick first step and a "violent aggression" playing style.

He is raw at setting the edge in the run game and not naturally instinctive in pass coverage but would bring speed and attitude to DE position.

He didn't participate at the combine because of his hamstring, right?

Very talented, but very, very raw, especially in terms of edge setting and coverage ability. Grid's profile, FWIW:

Jeremiah Attaochu (Ah Tah Choo) may be the rawest Prospect that I've studied, so far, this Year. His Processing Speed and his Field Vision are horrible. And his Mechanics are, yes, oh so raw.

But oh my God, the Potential.

If the wrong Team drafts this kid, he's headed for the Gutter.

But if the right Team drafts this kid, they will be drafting one the very most dynamically explosive and dangerous Pass Rushers of this entire Draft Class. Attaochu's ability to sustain his Pivot while surging around the Corner is simply breathtaking. That alone speaks to a preposterous fusion of Launch Velocity, Fluidity, and Power.

As Raw as he is, he can step right in on Day 1 as a SubWoofer and terrify Left Tackles and QuarterBacks.

And if he gets the right Coaching, he's got the natural Agility to become a very adept Pass Defender, an exceptional Run Defender, and an absolute NightMare as a twisting, boiling, surging Pass Rusher.

Category: Jeremiah Attaochu -

I referenced Greg Gabriel's report in the post above.

Some people think he could be a late riser and sneak into the late 1st round based on "upside". I'd probably be interested starting in the late 2nd round. As of right now, I prefer Marcus Smith.

I went and quickly watched the first half of the Alabama game for Ford's defensive snaps on Draft Breakdown. First off he's too small to play against RT's in the NFL. As it was he was getting handled TE Brian Vogler who granted is 6'7" 260 never mind Bama's RT and even the RBs. If Vogler can destoy him in the running game and contain him in the passing game imagine what Vollmer will do. I know it's one half but I had watched quite a bit of him previously and it just reaffirmed that I don't think he'll be very good at the next level.

I don't think Ford is a base DE. He's a LEO, a sub-rusher, a hybrid edge player, but definitely not a base DE, much less a LDE. The question is whether he - or someone like him - can be used to create mismatches, rather than being mis-matched.

Another day another mock.

This is my post FA week 1 mock - It is going to be what I'd do not what the Patriots will/would do. Also I am going to assume they keep Wilfork for once and he will actually be fairly good this year.

#29 Kony Ealy - DE
-TRADE- next years first for 44th 76th & 5th
#44 - ASJ - TE
#62 - TRADE - For a 70 & 5th
#70 - Deone Bucannon - SS
#76 - Weston Richberg - C
4th - Jordan Tripp/Christian Jones - OLB
5th - George Uko/Caraun Reid - DT
5th - Seantrel Henderson - OT
6th - Aaron Lynch - DE
6th - Jeff Janis - WR
7th - Colt Lyerla/Blake Annen

Final roster

25 - Offense

QB - 2 Brady Mallet
RB/FB - 4 Ridley Vereen Bolden Develin
WR - 6 Dobson Edelman LaFell Amendola Thompkins Janis
TE 4 Gronk ASJ Lyeria Hooman
OL 9 Solder Mankins Richberg Cannon Vollmer Connolly Svitek Henderson Kline

24 Defense

DT - 5 Wilfork Kelly Jones Reid Siliga
DE - 5 Jones Ealy Nink Lynch Armstead
LB - 5 Mayo Hightower Collins Tripp White
CB 5 Revis Browner Ryan Dennard Arrington
DS 4 McCourty Bucannon Harmon Ebner

STs 4 (Slater goes here)

So how this translates to the defensive side of the ball is you add a pass rushing DT. A true 4 down DE to eventually replace Nink and put him in the swing role. Also you get an athletic LB in the Collins mold as well as a true SS. Which would pretty much complete your D and turn it more into an attacking style which I think is the best kind.

I don't think Ford is a base DE. He's a LEO, a sub-rusher, a hybrid edge player, but definitely not a base DE, much less a LDE. The question is whether he - or someone like him - can be used to create mismatches, rather than being mis-matched.

I meant he would have to switch sides meaning so would Jones which may happen any way. I just think I would rather have Jeffcoat later for that type of role. He's taller and has more burst and plays with better leverage and could play as an every down DE on the right side or as a LEO.

I meant he would have to switch sides meaning so would Jones which may happen any way. I just think I would rather have Jeffcoat later for that type of role. He's taller and has more burst and plays with better leverage and could play as an every down DE on the right side or as a LEO.

That's pretty much how I would describe Jeremiah Attaochu.

That's pretty much how I would describe Jeremiah Attaochu.

I'd be totally on board with Attaochu if Pats think they can harness his temper.

Very talented, but very, very raw, especially in terms of edge setting and coverage ability. Grid's profile,

Yeah, my description of Attaochu was a subtle shout out to Off The Grid. But those traits are evident when you watch him on film.

I like Marcus Smith too and think his background as former quarterback-turned-DE would be valuable in pass coverage. Or at least a better option than Michael Buchanan on 3rd down screen passes and QB draws.

A really nice read from Eric Stoner at Big Cat Country on Cover 3 vs. Cover 2 schemes and how they marry with run defense. Some very good stuff:

"There are one-high safety and two-high safety defenses. Everything else is white noise." - Homer Smith

Coverages are the backbone of defensive structure, oddly enough, because they determine how and where the front defenders match their gaps and force the ball to go in pursuit. You cannot reasonably ask a cornerback to have deep coverage responsibility down the sideline while simultaneously containing against the perimeter run game.

Football strategy remains cyclical, with offenses and defenses engaged in an everlasting battle to one-up each other. For the defense, much of this strategy relies around making one simple choice: to defend the middle of the field with inside/out leverage, or to play outside/in with top/bottom leverage across the field.

Knowing who has the deep coverage responsibility allows the rest of the defense to formulate who is responsible for protecting the perimeter.

Cover 2 defenses have the cornerbacks responsible for an underneath zone, so it allows them to play as force [run contain] defenders. Hence, defenses that run a lot of Cover 2 tend to try and play inside/out, "spilling" the ballcarrier and making him run laterally towards the sideline. One-high defenses (Cover 3 and Cover 1) have the corners vacating with deep pass responsibility, leaving an outside linebacker and one of the safeties responsible as the Force players.

The basics of Cover 3 as a coverage are simple enough: three deep defenders split the field into thirds, and four defenders split the six underneath zones. Two Curl/Flat defenders are responsible for the area just outside the hashes at first, and then expanding to the sideline. The Hook/Curl defenders are responsible for re-routing vertical threats up the seam and then defending against inside breaking routes around the hash marks. Everything is predicated on being able to defend the middle of the field with inside/out leverage.

In the Cover 3, your Force and Cutback players are almost always going to be your Curl/Flat defenders - that's how the coverage and run fits marry, and if you can get that concept, you'll understand almost every variation of this defense.

Stopping the run with a Cover-3 base defense - Big Cat Country

It's a detailed and very interesting read. The Pats ran a fair amount of single safety-3 CB looks last season, and with their new personnel I expect to see a ton of Cover 1, Cover 3 and Cover 7 looks this season, with relatively little Cover 2.

This kind of thinking may also be part of the reason why BB has focused on the secondary in free agency. Without knowing what basic coverage structure you'll be able to effectively play, it's hard to focus on how the front end should look. It may also impact what kind of "safety" (or LB/S hybrid) we look for.

Now I have to go watch more Ford to see what I missed. I definitely didn't see the Pats using an invite on him.

Don't forget that the Pats often use some of their visits not on players they plan to draft, but on players where they feel it's important to set a value.

I'd be totally on board with Attaochu if Pats think they can harness his temper.

If the Pats could sign a rotational DE at low cost (Shaun Phillips, Anthony Spencer, Shaun Phillips or Robert Ayers) and/or use Armond Armstead as a base DE at times, then they could potentially address DT, an edge/hybrid/sub rusher, a space LB, and a DB (or LB/S hybrid) in the draft. I have no idea how they could do all this and still address TE and OL on offense, but if they could, it would pretty much cover everything.

What about something like the following:

- Hypothetical Mallett for 33 trade - unlikely, but I include it for now in order to address some of the prospects of intersts

- Trade 29 and 93 to move up for Aaron Donald. With Dallas signing Henry Melton, if Donald gets past Chicago at 14 he could slip to the early 20's, within trade-up range.

- Trade back from 33. Say 33 to Jacksonville for 39 and 102. Either draft a TE like ASJ/Amaro, or an OL (perhaps with a further move back) like Marcus Martin, Brandon Thomas or Joel Bitonio.

- Trade back from 62 to around 70-75 and pick up a 5th round pick.

- Hybrid Edge Player: Take one of Jeremiah Attaochu, Marcus Smith or Demarcus Lawrence in the early-mid 3rd round.

- Space LB: Take one of Christian Jones or Jordan Tripp in the early 4th round.

- Take a big CB/S like Antone Exum or a LB/S hybrid like Kevin Pierre-Louis in the late 4th round.

- Take a guard like Trai Turner or a TE like Jake Murphy in the 5th round, depending on which position the Pats' took in the 2nd.

- Take a FB/H-Back like Trey Millard, Gator Hoskins or Trey Burton in the late rounds.

- Take a developmental base DE like Terrance Fede in the late rounds.

That would give the Pats a tremendously versatile array of weapons.

Obviously, without the Mallett trade, some major tradeoffs have to be made.

Well, we didn't actually draft Chris Jones, we claimed him the second time he was waived.

I think someone else mentioned this but I could picture him as a Mike Wright kinda guy. But if he could develop into a competwnt starter that'd be swell.

Wright was taller, longer & leaner who was jokingly used as a NT when his obvious best use was
as a base 3-4 DE & passing-down DT. I never understood WTF Bill was thinking using him at NT;
maybe that's why he had so many concussions.

- Hypothetical Mallett for 33 trade - unlikely, but I include it for now in order to address some of the prospects of intersts

What if we substitute Ridley (I don't want to trade him either) in place of Mallett for trade possibilities?

---If we re-resign Blount, we are able to absorb Ridley's production loss with Brandon Bolden as backup.

---Ridley and Vereen contracts are both up in 2015, but Vereen skills are more versatile to the Patriots offense scheme than Ridley's.

---Instead of targeting QB-needy teams (Houston, Minnesota, Cleveland) at the top part of the draft rounds....we target teams with questionable running games (Atlanta, Tennessee, St. Louis)

Will this scenario hold as much trade value as Mallett's?

What if we substitute Ridley (I don't want to trade him either) in place of Mallett for trade possibilities?

Will this scenario hold as much trade value as Mallett's?

No. (10 char)

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back