PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

My Blueprint for the Defense

I thought it wouldn't work. I would be comfortable with trading Mallett if we had a backup already in place.

A really nice read from Eric Stoner at Big Cat Country on Cover 3 vs. Cover 2 schemes and how they marry with run defense. Some very good stuff:

Stopping the run with a Cover-3 base defense - Big Cat Country

It's a detailed and very interesting read. The Pats ran a fair amount of single safety-3 CB looks last season, and with their new personnel I expect to see a ton of Cover 1, Cover 3 and Cover 7 looks this season, with relatively little Cover 2.

This kind of thinking may also be part of the reason why BB has focused on the secondary in free agency. Without knowing what basic coverage structure you'll be able to effectively play, it's hard to focus on how the front end should look. It may also impact what kind of "safety" (or LB/S hybrid) we look for.

Some other nice reads on Cover 3, Cover 1, Cover 7 and other single safety schemes that we may see from the Pats this year:

Inside the playbook: Cover 3 | National Football Post

How Earl Thomas and the Seahawks' defense use the Cover-3 - Field Gulls

Super Bowl XLVIII: Secrets of the Seahawks secondary - SBNation.com

Super Bowl XLVIII: Beating the Seattle Seahawks Cover 3 scheme - Mile High Report

Seattle Seahawks walloped Denver Broncos with simple scheme - NFL.com

Inside the playbook: Cover 7 breakdown | National Football Post

All highly recommended.

This season is going to be FUN.

Tuitt has been growing on my for weeks now. He's one of the few prospects I'd like at 29. I think he'll have a learning experience as a rookie before he develops. Much like the players I compare him to -- Muhammad Wilkerson and Calais Campbell. I'm confident he'll be very good by year two.

Tuitt has been growing on my for weeks now. He's one of the few prospects I'd like at 29. I think he'll have learning experience as a rookie before he develops. Much like the players I compare him to -- Muhammad Wilkerson and Calais Campbell. I'm confident he'll be very good by year two.

I see Tuitt as more of a base DE who can move inside than a DT. I like him much better at the lighter weight with more explosiveness and movement ability.

My closest thing to a "wet dream" right now is trading up for Donald and also getting Tuitt, with Wilfork recovering to a decent level and getting an extension that lowers his cap cut. That would free up Rob Ninkovich to rotate at both DE and OLB. Tuitt-Wilfork-Donald-Jones would be about as good a DL as there is in the NFL. I have no idea how that would happen, but it's a nice dream.

I see Tuitt as more of a base DE who can move inside than a DT. I like him much better at the lighter weight with more explosiveness and movement ability.

My closest thing to a "wet dream" right now is trading up for Donald and also getting Tuitt, with Wilfork recovering to a decent level and getting an extension that lowers his cap cut. That would free up Rob Ninkovich to rotate at both DE and OLB. Tuitt-Wilfork-Donald-Jones would be about as good a DL as there is in the NFL. I have no idea how that would happen, but it's a nice dream.

I would like that too.

I know in his best season (2012) he played around 305, but I would like Tuitt a little heavier in the NFL. Ideally about 315-320 as long as it's good weight. His weight in 2013 wasn't good weight. He's strong already, but I think he needs to get stronger.

I don't look at fits in base defenses anymore. I find how a player can fit in all defenses, but most heavily weigh the nickel defense. I think Tuitt will eventually be able to play any technique depending on the situation, but as a rookie I'd like to see only 1-gap DE and 3-tech (what you said). That should help his transition and confidence while we wait for the second year jump.

I would like that too.

I know in his best season (2012) he played around 305, but I would like Tuitt a little heavier in the NFL. Ideally about 315-320 as long as it's good weight. His weight in 2013 wasn't good weight. He's strong already, but I think he needs to get stronger.

I don't look at fits in base defenses anymore. I find how a player can fit in all defenses, but most heavily weigh the nickel defense. I think Tuitt will eventually be able to play any technique depending on the situation, but as a rookie I'd like to see only 1-gap DE and 3-tech (what you said). That should help his transition and confidence while we wait for the second year jump.

If we were to get Tuitt, I would probably kick him inside on sub packages and consider moving Chandler Jones to LDE, with Jamie Collins coming off the edge. As Doug Kyed noted today:

Collins should be a defensive end on third down with the Patriots’ current personnel. He’s great in coverage, but his upside is even higher as a Von Miller-esque pass rusher.

Jamie Collins Should Play Von Miller Role For Patriots In 2014 (Mailbag) | New England Patriots | NESN.com

If we were to get Tuitt, I would probably kick him inside on sub packages and consider moving Chandler Jones to LDE, with Jamie Collins coming off the edge. As Doug Kyed noted today:

Jamie Collins Should Play Von Miller Role For Patriots In 2014 (Mailbag) | New England Patriots | NESN.com

A line of Jones, Tuitt, Kelly, Collins? That would be a good line for some situations.

Collins is another interesting variable most don't consider. A Von Miller type of role would be nice, but I also like how he played in his 2013 role. His most ideal role is probably somewhere in between.

Either way it doesn't fill the need for a another 4-3 DE to rotate with Jones and Ninkovich. I have a little hope for Armstead in that role.

A line of Jones, Tuitt, Kelly, Collins? That would be a good line for some situations.

Collins is another interesting variable most don't consider. A Von Miller type of role would be nice, but I also like how he played in his 2013 role. His most ideal role is probably somewhere in between.

I don't see Collins playing on the line that much, but I could see some value to putting him there on occasion in long passing situations. If Michael Buchanan develops I could also see some value to having a 5 man front with Collins and Buchanan outside and Jones-rookie-Kelly/Armstead inside (or, in my dream scenario above, Jones-Donald-Tuitt). In a base I see Collins continuing to play the role that he did at the end of this season, but I think there is value to moving him around given his versatility, explosiveness and skill set.

Either way it doesn't fill the need for a another 4-3 DE to rotate with Jones and Ninkovich. I have a little hope for Armstead in that role.

I'm more optimistic than you about this one. But I could see a guy like Tuitt playing a base 4-3 LDE role as well.

Tuitt has been growing on my for weeks now. He's one of the few prospects I'd like at 29. I think he'll have a learning experience as a rookie before he develops. Much like the players I compare him to -- Muhammad Wilkerson and Calais Campbell. I'm confident he'll be very good by year two.

His USC tape is as good as anybody's I've seen this year. Was very impressed with him. I know that is his ceiling but like you said after a year in an NFL program he could be the steal of the draft DL wise due to his down year.

I don't see Collins playing on the line that much, but I could see some value to putting him there on occasion in long passing situations. If Michael Buchanan develops I could also see some value to having a 5 man front with Collins and Buchanan outside and Jones-rookie-Kelly/Armstead inside (or, in my dream scenario above, Jones-Donald-Tuitt). In a base I see Collins continuing to play the role that he did at the end of this season, but I think there is value to moving him around given his versatility, explosiveness and skill set.

Agreed.

I'm more optimistic than you about this one. But I could see a guy like Tuitt playing a base 4-3 LDE role as well.

I thought we were talking about Collins and his role, not Tuitt. I don't think Collins taking snaps at edge rusher would eliminate any need for a rotational 4-3 DE. That was my point.

For Tuitt, I'm fine with him taking 4-3 DE snaps, but he's more of a power-LDE type, like Shaun Ellis, than he is a versatile DE like Jones or Ninkovich. He would help keep Jones and Nink fresh, but it wouldn't be an even rotation like it would be if we signed Corey Wooton or Jared Allen.

Glad to see others aboard on Tuitt. It was a lonesome place a few weeks ago.

CNNSI.com's Doug Farrar on the Revis-Browner combo:

Darrelle Revis, Brandon Browner prepare to redefine New England Patriots' secondary | Audibles - SI.com

Of note:

When the Seahawks signed Browner out of the Canadian Football League before the 2011 season, they turned him into a hammer. At 6-foot-4 and 220 pounds, Browner was tasked to be as physical as he possibly could with opposing receivers at the line, looking very much like a super-sized version of a 1970s pass defender. Browner had the trail speed to keep with receivers after he forced them outside, but as that speed wore down in 2013, he became a bit of a liability in coverage.

However, given that Bill Belichick has always had a great knack for putting his players in hybrid roles to best exploit their strengths, one might expect to see Browner playing different roles in New England’s defense. Against teams with bigger No. 2 receivers, Browner might be outside, but imagine him as a mega-safety or nickel backer in passing downs.

A nugget from Greg Peshek's DT comparisons:

@NU_Gap: Donald's pass rush efficiency in pressures/ sacks is double the next highest. However, adding PDs to Hageman's gets him close to Donald

@NU_Gap: @JuMosq If you counted the pass deflections as pass rush, they really make Hageman's metrics elite

https://twitter.com/nu_gap/status/447246147023671296

Hageman is going to edge Donald down into third place when I do my final big board. Too much upside to pass up in my opinion.

Hageman is going to edge Donald down into third place when I do my final big board. Too much upside to pass up in my opinion.

I suspect if both Hageman and Donald were on the board Bill would take Hageman based upon his scheme flexibility, fitting the size and athletic makeup we've consistently seen and his ability to play one or two gap.

Glad to see others aboard on Tuitt. It was a lonesome place a few weeks ago.

I've come around on him and have him as a mid second value. His 12 tape he's an end of the first value and his 13 tape he's a top of the 3rd value. If he can play at 300-ish and have that explosion from 12 he's a steal in the mid second but because of 13 it's not without risk.

I think that how BB views Armstead could have a dramatic impact on how he drafts. If BB believes that Armstead will be fully fit and has the potential impact player, then, suddenly, the 3-tech has a rotation of Kelly-Armstead-Jones/Vellano and Armstead becomes another contributing edge player.. If they extend Wilfork too (which I assume would mean they envisage him being healthy), then suddenly the DL becomes much less pressing.

It wouldn't necessarily rule DL out, in fact, in this scenario I'd be much more comfortable taking a risky pick like Easley and a day three pass rusher like Fede or Gardner. In fact, why not grab both Fede and Gardner and have a training camp pass rush death match with Buchanan too.

Mayo - Because I am too busy today to go back and look, have you updated your blueprint for the Pats with the additions of Revis and Browner?

Mayo - Because I am too busy today to go back and look, have you updated your blueprint for the Pats with the additions of Revis and Browner?

I haven't done a comprehensive "update" per se, but I've certainly discussed how the Revis and Browner additions fit into the general direction outlined in the OP. See posts #670, 672, 711, 713, 764, 775 and 782, for example.

I'm pretty much on the same general tack that I was in the OP, and I think the Browner and Revis moves shown that the Pats are moving in that general direction. More physical secondary play with more man coverage and single high safety (Cover 1 and Cover 3) schemes, more fluid LBs who can play underneath zone coverage, and a more disruptive front line with multiple hybrid edge rushers and a more aggressive defensive philosophy than we've seen in the past.

With the "back end" of the defense taking a clear shape, it will be interesting to see what additional moves the Pats make on the "front end" to make the two halves fit more cohesively.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back