PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Pioli maybe eyeing new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Says its robert kraft and BB's team and pioli has been happy thus far but now 'as per league sources' would like to run his team if offers come. FWIW. I dont know who mort's sources are especially if at foxboro

What's wicked pissah about such rumors is that they arise at the start and end of each season and eventually if they prove true the mediot is hailed as a genius or insider.

...pioli has been happy thus far but now 'as per league sources' would like to run his team if offers come. FWIW. I dont know who mort's sources are especially if at foxboro

Tomase suggested a week ago:

...the Lions are considered a legit suitor for Pioli's services, should he decide to depart the Patriots. And there are rumblings that he's seriously considering spreading his wings and leaving the shadow of Bill Belichick, who gave him his first job back in 1992 with the Browns.
---

So Mort's sources could be Tomase and his ("rumblings") -- or not. Just in time for the Pats playoff run. :rolleyes:

If Pioli is as good as everyone says, he ought to WANT to get out of BB's shadow and run a team himself, the same way BB wanted out of Parcell's shadow.

That is the conumdrum. If he really is good, he'll be gone eventually. If he isn't as good as we think, he'll stay here.

Just like with oordinators. The really good ones leave to be head coaches.

The only way Kraft can keep him is to give him final say in personnel matters.

Space - I'm not sure how you can compare the two situations. BB getting out from under Parcells shadow was a coaching thing. If BB/Pioli have proven anything, its that a tandem is the best way to run the team. All of Parcells successes was when he has someone running the personnel issues. NOT when he was the one controlling them.

For you to say that the only way for Kraft to keep Pioli is to give Pioli the final say in personnel matters is just garbage. Sorry. It is. Pioli stays because he knows his limitations. He knows that he isn't the one on the field having to deal with the players and their idiosyncracies and having to win the games. He knows that you can't just throw players at the coach and say "Make it work".

In all honesty, Pioli and BB have changed how the GM/Coach dynamic works and they've had amazing success in the Cap era. Arguably, they've had the MOST and BEST success of any GM/Coach combination in the cap era. 8 straight winning seasons. 4 SB appearances. 3 SB wins. And no cheating the cap the way the 49ers and Broncos did. They are building a LEGACY that may not be repeated in our lifetime.

Space - I'm not sure how you can compare the two situations. BB getting out from under Parcells shadow was a coaching thing. If BB/Pioli have proven anything, its that a tandem is the best way to run the team. All of Parcells successes was when he has someone running the personnel issues. NOT when he was the one controlling them.

For you to say that the only way for Kraft to keep Pioli is to give Pioli the final say in personnel matters is just garbage. Sorry. It is. Pioli stays because he knows his limitations. He knows that he isn't the one on the field having to deal with the players and their idiosyncracies and having to win the games. He knows that you can't just throw players at the coach and say "Make it work".

In all honesty, Pioli and BB have changed how the GM/Coach dynamic works and they've had amazing success in the Cap era. Arguably, they've had the MOST and BEST success of any GM/Coach combination in the cap era. 8 straight winning seasons. 4 SB appearances. 3 SB wins. And no cheating the cap the way the 49ers and Broncos did. They are building a LEGACY that may not be repeated in our lifetime.

I think the only reason he would leave would be a question of ego....I have thought, and believe, that he has been happy to stay because he knows he's part of a truly excellent organization building something great.

But the line here about him staying "because he knows his limitations" is the kind of thing, were it to become conventional wisdom, would lead him to leave if he has any ego at all. So let's hope that doesn't become the CW.

Seriously, how many years did ESPN report that Belichick might leave soon after his contract was up? Pioli was rumored by ESPN a few years back to take the Giants GM job. Everyone in the media had him gone when Seattle offered him a brinks truck worth of money to be their GM.

I will believe that Pioli will leaves the Pats when I see it. I personally think he may out last Belichick here.

Tomase suggested a week ago:

---

So Mort's sources could be Tomase and his ("rumblings") -- or not. Just in time for the Pats playoff run. :rolleyes:

Pioli may leave after this season, but I seriously doubt he will go to Detriot. That job is the kiss of death.

Mort works for ESPN, which instantly gives this a whiff of BS

The bored, idle press, need to put themselves at the center of attention.. he may or may not go, but Mort is just spewing garbage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft