PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort:O'Brien to Penn State done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wish bob good luck but I hate how they can hire coaches during the season. Should be tampering. He's an employee of the patriots and the season isn't over. Why can't say the dolphins try to sign welker(for example obviously won't happen :p ) before the season is up? I know coaches contracts are different but should be same concept imo.

This is why nobody IMO would touch the Penn State job, given the current situation, and why BoB is basically being set up to fail. He's a transitional coach with no connection to JoePa and the scandal, who will run the program until things settle down and the school can bring in a "Penn State" guy.

People forget that Paterno is 85 years old and that the vast majority of the PSU guys are in their late 50s and 60s. Guys like Tom Bradley will be 60 when this job opens again, and they won't go backward for a guy currently on staff.

That limits PSU because the vast majority of successful PSU players have not gone into coaching. PSU coaches are all older. There are former Nittany Lions who are head coaching right now like Schiano at Rutgers and Golden at Miami, but prior to the Sandusky scandal, the PSU family thought very little of these two coaches in particular. They are not going to think highly of them in the future.

Larry Johnson is the only guy with potential but he two is in his 50s and he will not get a HC position where he can prove himself based on his PSU affiliation.

This literally means that other than Mike Munchak, there are no PSU guys out there who might coach PSU in 3 or 4 years.

Is it just me, or was this the same guy 90% of this site hated last year and was blamed for making bad play calls?

I didn't even think he was OC, thought his title was just QB coach (though he basically was).

I guess all it takes is to be seen yelling at Mr. Brady on T.V. these days. I'll be interested to see how he does with the Penn. State program and wish him the best though!

$1.5 to $2 million for an OC is a lot of money.

I doubt BOB will see anything close to that. Two years ago Joe P's salary had to be revealed as part of a freedom of information thing because of public funding, and it was $500K base. Last year it was reportedly just a hair over $1M including bonuses. Compared to what guys like Saban make ($3-4M) let alone what a guy like Charlie got at a private school like ND, Penn State pays peanuts. There is money to be made beyond salary, and I'm sure Joe P did, but BOB isn't in position to reap much of that anscillary income because of his warm welcome...

Good luck to BOB and good luck dealing with McLovin (McGlovin) . Two angry men. Should been some interesting sideline discussions in 2012 between those two.

Interesting-we now have have insider in another big 10 program.

I doubt BOB will see anything close to that. Two years ago Joe P's salary had to be revealed as part of a freedom of information thing because of public funding, and it was $500K base. Last year it was reportedly just a hair over $1M including bonuses. Compared to what guys like Saban make ($3-4M) let alone what a guy like Charlie got at a private school like ND, Penn State pays peanuts. There is money to be made beyond salary, and I'm sure Joe P did, but BOB isn't in position to reap much of that anscillary income because of his warm welcome...

College head coach incomes are never reported accurately. Some schools take the NIKE income into the AD and then pay the coaches. Others cut deals to have NIKE pay the coaches directly. JoePa was around 2 million, but he was a separate case. He was a guy who had been there a long time and even donated 15 million back to the university (Library and English Department). He's not a good comparison for all of this.

Consider that even a school like UConn will pay almost $2 million, but it gets reported as much much less in terms of money coming from the AD. And like O'Brien, UConn had hired a former college coach who was only an assistant at the pro level, in both cases. Edsall also was making about $1.8 million. I bet O'Brien comes in around 1.6-1.7m.

Good luck to BOB and good luck dealing with McLovin (McGlovin) . Two angry men. Should been some interesting sideline discussions in 2012 between those two.

Interesting-we now have have insider in another big 10 program.

McGloin isn't going to like this move. BOB will rip him a new one once he catches his arrogant attitude. Marty Mornhinweg's is an incoming freshman. Probably too young to start. Bolden is terrible. BOB has his work cut out at that position.

This is why nobody IMO would touch the Penn State job, given the current situation, and why BoB is basically being set up to fail. He's a transitional coach with no connection to JoePa and the scandal, who will run the program until things settle down and the school can bring in a "Penn State" guy.

You are wrong in your assessment. There is a separate culture from Penn State and it's football program. That became evident when Paterno issued his statement that he was retiring and that the trustee's need not worry about football. They fired him. Penn State was embarrassed and will never have a football coach with anywhere near that much authority. Yes, before this year Paterno was God and no one ever questioned him. That is over for him, as well as any current and future football coach at Penn State. This is not Oklahoma, Texas, USC or any other college football program which has been sanctioned and the school winked. A "Penn State guy" is not walking through that door.

You are wrong in your assessment. There is a separate culture from Penn State and it's football program. That became evident when Paterno issued his statement that he was retiring and that the trustee's need not worry about football. They fired him. Penn State was embarrassed and will never have a football coach with anywhere near that much authority. Yes, before this year Paterno was God and no one ever questioned him. That is over for him, as well as any current and future football coach at Penn State. This is not Oklahoma, Texas, USC or any other college football program which has been sanctioned and the school winked. A "Penn State guy" is not walking through that door.

A football coach is only as powerful as the boosters and alumni allow him to be. When they're successful, they become more powerful than the school president, and that's when the trouble happens. It can happen again at PSU as well.

A football coach is only as powerful as the boosters and alumni allow him to be. When they're successful, they become more powerful than the school president, and that's when the trouble happens. It can happen again at PSU as well.

That is entirely possible and is the template for most programs. Penn State has always been a little different from the typical college football culture and the scandal in which they are going through is totally different from any other football scandal. This could rival SMU's death penalty in regards to changing a program forever. Penn State has a lot of integrity and that university was embarrassed. You can read all day long at former players unhappy with O'Brien as it's new head coach, but that pails in comparison to the alumni who are unhappy with what transpired over the last decade. Penn State football may win the Big Ten or even a National Championship one day, but it will never, ever come close to having the influence and dominance that it once had. This is different.

What's someone from Penn State's favorite planet? Uranus.

What's someone from Penn State's favorite planet? Uranus.

I'm pretty much a "nothing's off limits to comedy" guy myself, Lifer, but I suspect that you'll find most people here on Patsfans.com are not. You may want to think "time and place" for the Penn State jokes. Just a thought....

They are having a sale on Penn State gear. Little boys pants half off.

I'm pretty much a "nothing's off limits to comedy" guy myself, Lifer, but I suspect that you'll find most people here on Patsfans.com are not. You may want to think "time and place" for the Penn State jokes. Just a thought....

Its been like two months. What, Penn State is more sacred then the Challenger or the Catholic Church or anything else people make fun of as it happens? Penn State people bring it on themselves with their defending and their failure to get that nobody gives a crap about their oh so important football program.

Its been like two months. What, Penn State is more sacred then the Challenger or the Catholic Church or anything else people make fun of as it happens? Penn State people bring it on themselves with their defending and their failure to get that nobody gives a crap about their oh so important football program.

Have at it, if you will. I was just trying to offer friendly advice. It's not as if the pedo jokes haven't been done a million times already (heck, some of the logo work was pretty darned funny, IMO). This board just seems sensitive about it and I was trying to be helpful.

Is it just me, or was this the same guy 90% of this site hated last year and was blamed for making bad play calls?

I didn't even think he was OC, thought his title was just QB coach (though he basically was).

I guess all it takes is to be seen yelling at Mr. Brady on T.V. these days. I'll be interested to see how he does with the Penn. State program and wish him the best though!

You're half right. Everyone on this board hated him in 2009 (probably justifiably so). That season we saw some truly unimaginative and vanilla playcalling which opposing defenses had feasted upon. That improved a lot in 2010, so we stopped hating him as much. This year was even better. Let's hope he can pull out his best work in the weeks to come. I wish him the best too, that's a difficult position he's walking into. I just hope and pray it doesn't distract him or the team.

Just read that it is now official! Good luck to BOB!

He wasn't PSU's first choice. Munchak was once they knew they couldn't get a top level college coach. Jacksonville was interested in O'Brien. He may have been a hotter commodity than we think. Once upon a time Nick Saban left Belicick's staff for Michigan St. Ferentz left NFL staff for Iowa. Time will tell as to whether he can do the job. Honestly, it's not as difficult as you think to win in college. PSU won the Big 10 in 2005 and 2008 with a coach who literally had nothing to do with day to day preparation.
I thought Ferentz went to Iowa from the Maine Blackbears.

Maybe if you looked beyond the sports pages you would realize that when you state "Penn State people bring it on themselves with their defending and their failure to get....." as your theory is based on a small segment of the Penn State population. I have followed Penn State closely and other then some former players and some idiotic rabid fans, your statement is false. Penn State fired the one of the most prolific college coaches in college history. There is a library at Penn State which adorns his name, because he "built" it. Paterano wasn't in the shower and reported the incident, and got fired. The vast majority of Penn State alumni agree with that decision for the obvious reasons. He did not do enough. But hey, don't let that stop you from making jokes about child rape. I must have missed those jokes on the Challenger. Go for it, it seems two members enjoy your taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST