PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mort: Goodell orders Patriots to turn over all tape/notes, more penalties possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WTF.. It's Not Going Away..

please I garauntee you last sunday as soon as "cameragate" broke Belichick was firing up the furnace to get rid of anything that shouldn't be viewed by the leagues eyes. He may have been foolish last week for getting caught but if anyone knows how to cut their losses its Belichick. They won't find anything but even so this is still an outrage! Why didn't the league tear apart the RCA dome to investigate the charge of noise being pumped in?

Re: Mort: Goodell orders Patriots to turn over all tape/notes, more penalties possibl

Goodell seems to me to love any chance he can get for him to show his power. He is obviously taking this as an opportunity to show he is the boss. this is a pattern too as he now penalizes players for things before they are proven guilty too....He is power hungry and He is a smug little pr***.

Re: Mort: Goodell orders Patriots to turn over all tape/notes, more penalties possibl

I wonder if people think that Rozelle and Tags would have handled this better.

I feel they would have handled it better...but from our prespective anyone could have.

Yes.....they would have slapped the Pats on the wrist or any other team and they buried it immediately following the ruling.

Next the Commissioner's Office will be asking for computer harddrives, thumbdrives and any other electronic media. How far is this going to go?

I may end up wrong but I don't think they're going after us more - I think they just want the stuff so we can't derive any future benefit from it. No gain from the forbidden fruit, so to speak.

Well said I agree with this completely, I think that the league wants to get the tapes and lock them up and forget this week as soon as possible.

I think this is something that Goodell is doing because of the reaction that he has received about the punishment he handed out. I swear this commish listens to too many talking heads.

I wonder if he is going to ask for the tapes and files from the other coaches that have come out of Foxboro lately. More than likely not but I think it is something that should be considered.

I just hope that all of the files that are shown not to further incriminate BB will be returned. I don't think they have much of a choice but to comply with Goodell at this point. When does "double jeopardy" come into play, if iteven would?

Halftime is what, 10 minutes?

How the hell can you take an hour of footage (real-time of the first half), compare it to the same half (another real-time one hour of tape) in 10 minutes?!

For this video to be useful, you'd really need to be viewing it in a computer with the game footage available. And to capture one hour of video footage takes, you guessed it, one hour. Are people ******ed? Has the world gone mad? Did they forget how digital video recorded onto tape works? ************.

Bottom line, there's no way they can use this footage in game. It wasn't some live feed going somewhere, it was a tape, that tape can only be captured in real-time.

Again, there is no f*cking way that the footage they captured within a game was used within a game. In fact, one point that has been missed is that VIDEOTAPING THE SIGNALS IS THE LEAST EFFICIENT AND MOST IMPRACTICAL WAY TO STEAL SIGNS WITHIN THE GAME THAT IS BEING PLAYED since it requires so much time just to deal with the footage. A guy with binoculars has a better chance of making an impact on a game.

Exactly. They have much more important things to do. Thinking that BB puts a bunch of stock in such a small aspect of the game is hilarious. I say small aspect, meaning that it is very much in flux. There is no guarentee that you have it correct or anything. It was used simply to chart tendensies, and as another poster stated to gleen more info about coaching staffs and pretty much leave no stone unturned. I know that we have all had a bad week, but this may not be as bad as we think.

BB looked rather happy this week. When do you think he was ordered to give over the tapes and notes?

It may infact be his vindication folks.

Ah, well as long as you've clarified that! ;)

Hey... I'm slow, not stupid :)

Respects,

For all his pompous "cleaning up' I would say Goodell needs to crack down and clean up his own house. Strict penalties and fines for those who leak info to the media about private NFL business. Even if it comes from his office or from executives of teams.

Otherwise this will be the NFL's new logo:

faucet.jpg

Who cares? That's on the commish.

McCarthy did an excellent job of smearing people. And when no one stood up to him, it encouraged him even more. Not until someone came after him was he undone.

Lawyer up.

"perception" is what drives a TON of league revenue. Think about how important the casual fan is to the NFL (even the patriots)

die-hards on this board represent a relatively small portion of pats fans.

The pats simply cannot just refuse to cooperate. IMO, that is not a realistic option - that would be the equivalent of a nuclear bomb dropped on the credibility of the patriots

I am a bit confused. If the Pats don't turn over the tapes and notes they will be penalized. If they do and the league finds something or interprets something that shows the Pats broke more rules they are penalized. Looks like a lose/lose situation to me.

This would be effectively backing the Pats into a corner. I am very curious to see what BB's next move will be.

Also don't you think they could have waited till Monday to "leak" this news. WTF

I thought this was over. Looks like just the beginning. I've just about had it with the NFL.

It may infact be his vindication folks.

The problem is, even if he thinks he's scouting, the league might see otherwise.

Let's face it, everyone has been just waiting for a reason to take the Pats down, to take BB down. This is like a gift from God to them. They aren't going to be lenient, they aren't going to use reason.

This is a witch hunt of epic proportions that not even Arthur Miller could pen. Let's face it, in the eyes of public opinion, we're toast. Whatever vindicating evidence BB has would be ignored.

I may end up wrong but I don't think they're going after us more - I think they just want the stuff so we can't derive any future benefit from it. No gain from the forbidden fruit, so to speak.

THANK YOU. I completely agree. It makes no sense to have someone reviewing every game we've ever played to try and see if our notes show we had an in-game advantage! Come on now, that's nearly impossible to do.

They don't want us to benefit from ANY info we obtained via illegal videotape. The coaching bible we keep hearing about is being turned over so we can no longer have whatever advantage (however big or small) we may have previously enjoyed.

(btw, as my husband just pointed out, they want any originals and copies we may have...if they are going to be scouring games looking to see if we cheated in-game, they wouldn't care at all if we copied it).

What a joke Goodell is.

Re: As per mort

I don't know why Goodell wants to keep this alive. It should start to die down after tonight unless he keeps it alive.

I don't think Goodell wants to keep this alive, but the mediots with league sources do. This was part of the agreement since Thursday night, but Mort is attempting to flush it out to create a refreshed spin on the story.

I said it before, Goodell needs to get a handle on who Mort's sources are, and if they are truly league office sources he needs to clean house to set an example. People who work in his offices should have to sign a confidentiality agreement, since many of them are inclined to use their position to curry favor with the media that will help them advance or seek other employment within the league, if they haven't already. Guys like Charlie Casserly are a prime example. Miserable failure as a GM, wanted HQ job, including Goodell's, but didn't get it. Uses insider league contacts to continue to curry favor within the media so that his hope of snagging a league job can live on. If the sources are members of the competition committee he consulted with, Goodell needs to have a sit down with them and tell them their fiduciary responsibility to the league while in such a position is to at least maintain the illusion of impartiality and confidentiality at least when dealing with him on league matters. Pathetic.

Goodell and NFL ownership are surrounded by former FBI agents, yet the concept of league security is a joke. Mangini had to draw these clowns a map and set up his mentor to catch a guy always apparently hides in plain sight. No wonder they can't find any dogfighters or steriod abusers or uncover prior arrests.

I'm beginning to fear that for all his bluster, Goodell really doesn't want to clean up the league, he just wants everyone to stop being caught being bad from now on on his watch... He wanted Vick to skate, but the Feds had other plans they wisely didn't clue him in on. This is a joke. Many assumed these players who were suspended would be required to serve those suspensions while on an NFL roster. Only last week there were reports that now that a team is interested in Tank, his suspension will include time served on the unemployment line. Unfortunately Kill Bill has the markings of some sort of tradeoff exchange to garner support for the continued prominence of the role Commissioner's office. I hope the next time that office needs all hands on deck to negotiate a new TV deal or avoid a CBA disaster, Bob takes Jonathan to Israel with him on vacation and leaves them all twisting in the wind.

Holy Crap, this is the benchmark of BB, he studies films and prepares like no other coach.. I wonder if there is any legal recourse for this team and BB, seems to me that they are somewhat disciminatory towards them. They made a faux, pas time to move on.

I thought that the memo was issued this year?? WTF is going on here.

So now that Mortenson has lost all credibility.

Why am I still hearing him talk?

LOL @ Eli out for a month.

Last edited:

The problem is, even if he thinks he's scouting, the league might see otherwise.

Let's face it, everyone has been just waiting for a reason to take the Pats down, to take BB down. This is like a gift from God to them. They aren't going to be lenient, they aren't going to use reason.

This is a witch hunt of epic proportions that not even Arthur Miller could pen. Let's face it, in the eyes of public opinion, we're toast. Whatever vindicating evidence BB has would be ignored.

I fear this also, but I am hoping that it is different. There is a chance that Goodell is not trying to destroy us. The league is doing really well. If the investigation is done, and the pats are cleared, everyone can shutup about it. There will be no lingering residue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News