PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More trash from CBSSportsLine/Don Shula

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Heads up, this is another lame story written by an ignorant columnist topic, for those just enjoying the season nothing to see here. For those who want to read this nonsense anyways though, along with more of Shula's "Waaah" input, feel free.

Unbeaten Patriots? Don't forget that taint
Oct. 19, 2007
By Mike Freeman

It was 8:30 a.m. earlier this week when the phone rang and the voice of Don Shula crackled on the other line. The reason Shula is someone to be admired -- besides for being the coach of the only undefeated team in modern NFL history -- is because of what would happen next.

Shula always tells the truth, no matter how blunt, no matter how uncomfortable it might make the room. He was asked about the New England Patriots and if they finished the season undefeated would that unbeaten season be tainted because of Videogate and the accompanying cheating accusations. Shula didn't hesitate in his response.

"Well it would have to be," Shula said. "That's not going to ever go away (the videotaping scandal). That's going to be talked about forever. They were fined $500,000 right? They lost how many draft picks? That tells you about the seriousness of what they did."

Shula makes it clear he has great respect for Bill Belichick as a coach and Tom Brady as a quarterback.

"Tom is at the top of his game," Shula explained. "I think they have everything going for them. They just look so strong. They are not going to lose many, if any, games."

Yet Shula also makes two other points. His first is this Patriots team is probably the biggest threat ever to the Dolphins' mark.

Second, if New England does go undefeated, Shula believes their achievement would suffer from an eternal blemish because of the videotaping scandal, a blemish that is nonexistent when it comes to the unbeaten Dolphins.

A New England undefeated season, in Shula's eyes, would not be the same as Miami's.

Certainly Shula is biased and there is a fatherly, protective quality to his comments, but his remarks raise an interesting question: If the Patriots did make history, would the two undefeated seasons be seen by history as equal?

We're a looooonnng way from undefeated talk with the Patriots, I know. Particularly since New England has to play Indianapolis in two weeks and the Colts could very well win that game. As Belichick might say to his team: If any of you talk about a (expletive) undefeated season, I'll wipe the floor with your (double expletive).

Shula is without question right about one thing. If New England does beat Miami this week and then the Colts, the Dolphins' historical achievement would see its greatest nemesis.

The Patriots are playing with the kind of chip on their shoulder we have never before seen in professional team sports. They want to win a championship to prove that the others weren't a fluke.

And if they did and went undefeated in the process, would there be a taint?

Some fans and people in football would say yes.

The problem in sports is we love conspiracies. There are always going to be people who think the Patriots cheated in the past and are still cheating now. They will say Miami is truly the undefeated team because there is no such scandal associated with that group.

In effect, to some, an undefeated Patriots season would weaken what has become an impenetrable nostalgia regarding the unbeaten Dolphins.

There is so much fascination and respect for that era no one wants to damage or eradicate it. That is what some fans -- and even some people in and around football like Shula -- believe would happen if the Patriots equaled Miami's achievement.

Shula was asked if he and his Dolphins are beginning to consider gathering and preparing the bubbly for if and when the Patriots lose.

"A lot of that stuff with us popping champagne has been totally overblown," Shula said.

If the Patriots go undefeated, what won't be overblown is the analysis of their place in history and the belief -- possibly erroneous, possibly true -- that they will forever suffer the taint of Videogate.

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10419004

Ridiculous. Seeing how it’s already clear no taping had any effect on this season whatsoever, which you would think would have been realized by these professional writers by now. Is he even aware of the incoherent nonsense drooling out of his mouth? Again nothing earth shattering here, we've seen this all season, but Shula running his yaps now is uncalled for.

Shula seems a little jittery on the subject doesn't he. Whate a douche....... He should just keep his mouth shut on the subject seeing that we're eons off from even talking about the "U" thing............ Yet he's already way out front trying to undermine an achievement that hasn't occured (and likely won't).

Last edited:
Shula is an idiot. If he's saying an undefeated season would be tainted that would be a better argument (though still a weak one) if the camera thing had been discovered after the season. People will say want they want about previous seasons but 2007 isn't tainted in any way.

In 2007 we're proud and camera free :D

I love the thinking. "They "cheated" in the past, so they might still be cheating, right? I mean, the fact that they are the scariest/best coached team that football may have ever seen doesn't matter, right? They could still be cheating." I love the logic.

Last edited:
It's only week 7.....one game at a time.....I think Donny should try to help his beloved Maimi Dolphins,cuz they just outright SUCK.....BE PROUD AND LOUD!!!!GO PATS!!!!:rocker:

The media with all of their 16-0 talk is really putting Shula in a corner and he's responding like a caged rat defending his ex team. I would expect Belichick, if in a similar position, to do something like this. If this were week 14 and the Pats had been kicking butt all season, I wouldn't be surprised if his response was a bit more tempered.

The 16-0 talk is way premature. At 12-0 then it becomes legitimate topic.

The 16-0 talk is way premature. At 12-0 then it becomes legitimate topic.
That's true - but it's a moot point. The question is "IF we were to go 16-0 would it be tainted". However likely or unlikely the premise may end up being true.

That's true - but it's a moot point. The question is "IF we were to go 16-0 would it be tainted". However likely or unlikely the premise may end up being true.

Let me propose this. Do you think that BB didn't make any backups of his vast video library and keep them in his home where the NFL would have no legal right to even search for, never mind confiscate them? This is his job. There are millions of NFL dollars at stake over wins and loses. I know plenty of people that work with sensitive information who are completely anal about backing up data. I don't doubt there are many other coaches in the league that have similar libraries. IMO BB is better than all of them at interpreting these videos. He would never take the chance that something like a fire or flood would damage that which he has painstakingly gathered over the years and fall behind his rivals in these regards. Obviously he discovered that taping from the sidelines gave him an advantage. Over time their value will diminish. For this season and the next few they still afford him a competitive advantage that others would love to have. We are very fortunate to have this shrewd football genius as our coach.

Is BB cheating by using these? No, he didn't cheat to begin with. (although others may see it differently) He broke a rule by having a camera in the wrong place. IMO he still uses the video that was attained when he did break the rule. It just can't be kept at Gillette anymore.

Of course even if Shula suspects this, and I don't doubt others do, he was just lashing out at a stupid media jerk that should keep his mouth shut about the undefeated season until it has a much greater chance of becoming reality.

Let me propose this. Do you think that BB didn't make any backups of his vast video library and keep them in his home where the NFL would have no legal right to even search for, never mind confiscate them? This is his job. There are millions of NFL dollars at stake over wins and loses. I know plenty of people that work with sensitive information who are completely anal about backing up data. I don't doubt there are many other coaches in the league that have similar libraries. IMO BB is better than all of them at interpreting these videos. He would never take the chance that something like a fire or flood would damage that which he has painstakingly gathered over the years and fall behind his rivals in these regards. Obviously he discovered that taping from the sidelines gave him an advantage. Over time their value will diminish. For this season and the next few they still afford him a competitive advantage that others would love to have. We are very fortunate to have this shrewd football genius as our coach.

Is BB cheating by using these? No, he didn't cheat to begin with. (although others may see it differently) He broke a rule by having a camera in the wrong place. IMO he still uses the video that was attained when he did break the rule. It just can't be kept at Gillette anymore.

Of course even if Shula suspects this, and I don't doubt others do, he was just lashing out at a stupid media jerk that should keep his mouth shut about the undefeated season until it has a much greater chance of becoming reality.

Well said, and with this being said if we do go 16-0 ( which I doubt) Shula, Buonaconti and the rest of the crew will continue to spew their venom, even though they had an easy 14-0 schedule in the year they did it.

The old signals are no good by now anyway. I have no doubt he turned everything over to them. He would have had to make the actual copies himself so as not to risk some guy selling a story "bill had me copy the tapes" to some media whore.

NO WAY... no more tapes exist. This is all about showing the league they didn't mean much anyway.

If Pats go undefeated it would def not be viewed as equal to the Dolphins! Why!?! because Dolphins won 14 regular season games and Patriots would have to win 16!

The old signals are no good by now anyway. I have no doubt he turned everything over to them. He would have had to make the actual copies himself so as not to risk some guy selling a story "bill had me copy the tapes" to some media whore.

NO WAY... no more tapes exist. This is all about showing the league they didn't mean much anyway.

Exactly.......... Look, the tapes basically were broken down to see if specific teams/coaches had determinable patterns in defenseive playcalling. The signs themself are irrelivent, since these constantly change and there are usually multiple signal callers.

I'm sure he garbaged them. Not worth the risk, IMO. He'd be facing suspension/expulsion if he got busted with them and I doubt the information gathered was worth that risk.

Last edited:
I think we really need to begin to question validity of the Dolphins Perfect Season in 1972 following the revelation that Nick Saban was caught taping audibles last season against the Patriot.

How far back does that practice go? It's impossible to say - but what's clear is that there is and always be a black mark against the Dolphins.

Seeing how that statement makes about as much sense as Shula's comments - we might as well go with it.

Last edited:
The 72 Dolphins only had to win 14 games and they did so in the pre-cap era. It's 15 times harder to go unbeaten now.

and don knows this, hes afraid...he WONT be the best coach anymore...BB will be, and rightfully so, (IF we go undefreated)

I loved it when don shula was out-coached by ron meyer who brought in mark henderson to clean a spot for john smith in the snow-bowl-game to kick the game winning field-goal in a 3-0 pats win. I still remember shula running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. pure classic....

Last edited:
Dear Mr Shula,

I have two simple questions for you.

#1) Can you say with 100% certanty that not one member of the 1972 Dolphins used steroids, cocaine, uppers or pain killers? (after all that would be cheating and put a perminant black mark on your undefeated season.)

#2) Should The Dallas cowboys championships under Jimmy Johnson and Troy Aikman's, Emmit Smith's and Michael Irvin's Hall of fame inductions all be taken away? (paraphrasing Jimmy Johnson after the Patriots video tape was released on Fox "...Thats exactally how I was taught to do it....")

If the answer to either of these questions is no then...SHUT THE HELL UP!

Nobody is going 16 - 0 this year but if they did than how do you say the video taping contributed to it? They're going to be under a microscope for the whole year and and how much they win is just going to show how little it mattered.

The Patriots being in the division and the Dolphins looking like a 0 - 16 team has to be hurting Miami, especially since their never ending quest to replace Dan Marino is back to the drawing board once again.

It would be nice if they did it just to shove it in these morons' faces but I don't want a playoff run being Jeopardized in december over it. Stay focused on the real goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back