PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Rumours of Moss to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
And, P.S: Some of you sound like most of the idiots in the sports media these days. This isn't John Madden football. You sound like you wish Dan Snyder was the owner instead of Bob Kraft. A guy like Moss can SERIOUSLY disrupt a locker room.

And beyond that, it seems pretty clear that you only remember Moss from the 98 season, when he had Randall Cunningham throwing him bombs. Brady doesn't have that kind of arm, and Moss hasn't played well enough the last few years to justify throwing 11 million cap dollars under the bus for the next two years just because he runs a good sideline route.

You'd rather have Randy Moss at 9 million a year...than DEION BRANCH AT 6!? What league have you been watching the last few years??

Belichick and Pioli got a good laugh out of that SI article. They'd never make a play at Moss, and they damn sure aren't going to give up a #1 for him.

I'd be thrilled to get Moss as a free agent on a one year deal. I don't have any interest in him beyond that. Giving up a high pick and lots of money for a couple years of Moss is not nearly worth the risk.

I want the Pats to win this year, but I also want them to win each of the next 5 years. The money and pick can be better spent than on a risk taken in the hopes of winning this year.

BTW, I view him as a large risk and have never been enamored with WRs.

I remmeber the offseason we goit Dillon, when he was still with the bengals people asked if the Pats should get him, and we heard the same things, he's not a good teammate, he's a cancer, the bengals were finally winning and he still wanted out, he claimed the o-line wasnt blocking for him, threw his stuff in the stands. As soon as the pats get him, everyone's opinion changed. If in some crazy way the Pats do get him, i want the same people who say they dont want him now saying the same thing. No riding fences people, call a spade a spade.

Randy Moss was on a lot of winning teams before he got to Oakland and he was the main reason those teams won so many games. People talk about him dogging routes... well, he must not have dogged them on about 8,000 yards worth of routes in his first six years with Minnesota. We're talking about a guy who twice caught 17 touchdowns in a season. Three years ago he had 27catches of more than 20 yards in one season. Did he sit out a few running plays? Maybe. But -- come on!

I wouldn't build a team around Randy Moss, but on a team that already has Tom Brady, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, Rodney Harrison, and Maroney, not to mention Bill Belichick, Randy Moss can't possibly hurt you. He's the ultimate hired gun.

As for his contract, clearly we'd rework his deal after this year. We don't have to pay any of his bonus money. We'd be crazy not to trade for him, if the price is right.

mgcolby said:
I can't believe I am even having these thoughts let alone writing them. But the potential of a Brady to Moss combination would be amazing.

Everything you brought up with the exception of his recent comments - all took place while he was in Minnesota an underachieving, undisciplined football team. When he had the guidance of Chris Carter (who was no model citizen at one time) he was kept in check and just played football. Since he has been on the Raiders he has been fairly quiet with a few exceptions and has really handled himself on and off the field very well.

I think he fits into a Dillon mold, a guy who just wants to win and realizes his time is running short and he is playing for a misguided franchise going nowhere fast. I think coming into a veteran laiden locker room that is full of SuperBowl rings, could be the perfect scenario for him. I don't think giving up a 1 for him is what we should do, but tossing up a 2 and maybe a 6 or 7 as well would seem like a small risk to take for such a potentially big reward.

Why on earth, based on his career, are we saying Moss is a guy that just wants to win?

The evidence is, he just wants to play when he feels like it, he just wants to get high, he just wants to ride around hitting traffic cops.

Am I missing something here? Has he infused a winning attitude on the teams he's been with?

Has he punished himself to play beyond his natural abilities, or coasted on his God given natural talent?

Remember, playing on an awful team that used him like a rented mule because they sucked otherwise, Dillon had the record for most yards in a game until recently and broke Jim Brown's record for most yards in a game for a rookie.

He still is the only player besides O.J. to rush for over 245 yds. twice.

On a bad team with the defense keying on you the whole game those inside yards hurt.

We're talking pain, struggle and perserverance here.

Please, please, please find some other analogy.

Thank you.

Last edited:
R_T26 said:
Some of you guys got to cut the crap, If you woke up monday morning and saw Reiss reporting that the Patriots aquired Randy Moss, you would all be crapping your pants in excitement, and the rest of the league would be crapping their pants.

If Belichick were to bring Moss in, it would be because he did his homework. Better Moss then Porter, in my opinion.

Stokes said:
He refuses to block and jogs many routes in Oakland as well. Don't forget he's also been quiet from a statistical standpoint in Oakland as well. Yes Kerry Collins and Aaron Brooks were his QBs, but they've gotten big years out of lesser receivers in the past (Joe Horn and Amani Toomer). I refuse to believe that another new team will make him completely change his stripes, or that the Pats would absorb his cap hit not just this year, but in 2007 (9.75 million) or 2008 ($11.25 million) (of course assuming he won't restructure like Dillon did, which I doubt he would), and give up the necessary draft picks to get him.

I agree he doesn't always give his all on every play, but to say he refuses to block is inaccurate. In the Cleveland game he played hard and he made some really nice blocks that sprung his back for some decent runs. I truly believe he is just frustrated with the way things have gone in Oakland and he simply wants to win at this point in his career. I also believe he has matured substantially since his idiotic days in Minnesota. I could be wrong, I admit that and if is traded to a team that continues to win this season and ends up being a disruption or reverts back to his oldself, I will come here and take the ribbing. I just don't see him as a TO type, a guy who is just to stupid to control how he acts or what comes out of his mouth. I think he was that person when he was younger, but not now.

Last edited:
5 Rings for Brady!! said:
If Belichick were to bring Moss in, it would be because he did his homework. Better Moss then Porter, in my opinion.

---------

you got that right...I think we should take him...I am taking a side...my vote is yes, if we can still hang on to a number 1 pick...anyone else yes or no? definitively...?

Halifax_Pats_Fan said:
you got that right...I think we should take him...I am taking a side...my vote is yes, if we can still hang on to a number 1 pick...anyone else yes or no? definitively...?
Yes - but at no more cost than our #2. Anything more costly, no.

mgcolby said:
Not trying to be an @ss but how do you know that? That is the perception portrayed to us by the media and his actions 3+ years ago, but this locker room has plenty of guys who know how to win and buy into the program completely; they are the ones that will tell him how it is. Randy appears to have grown up and thus far has handled a poor situation pretty well, IMO. And to be honest I have always been in the camp of not wanting me first players and I still am, but to me Moss has put a lot of that behind him. Is he a perfect citizen, I doubt it but I don't think he would be a disruption especially if we kept winning.

Have you been paying attention to the kinds of things that Moss has said about his coaching staff and fellow players in Oakland, and before that in Minnesotta? The Patriots train players to avoid the media, and Randy Moss acts like he's on Oprah Winfrey's couch every time someone puts a mic in his face.

Corey Dillon wasn't a model citizen in Cincinnatti, but he was tight-lipped with the media. It was obvious that he was frustrated by not winning. Randy Moss was a distraction and a malcontent on a Vikings team that WAS winning.

Re: Bill Belichick's View about Randy Moss as a Competitor

Stokes said:
Wasn't this right before the Pats played the Raiders to open 2005, a time when Belichick NEVER NEVER says anything negative about a player on an opposing team?

True. I said it "seems pretty conclusive to me". But I know that nothing is ever conclusive on the Internet.

I agree that BB saying "Why not?" is not the same as BB saying "Yes, absolutely" but it comes pretty close, given the way that BB likes to throw questions back in reporters' faces. Furthermore, you're right, BB doesn't say negative things about players on other teams period -- and he always finds positive things to say about them in the week before the game (I remember the pre-San Francisco week a couple of seasons ago with particular pleasure). But, that said, he went a lot further than I expected him to. He could easily have just said "he plays for the Raiders, we have our own players here" or something, and he certainly didn't have to go into the long analogy with LT.

But treat it for what it's worth.

RayClay said:
Why on earth, based on his career, are we saying Moss is a guy that just wants to win?

The evidence is, he just wants to play when he feels like it, he just wants to get high, he just wants to ride around hitting traffic cops.

Am I missing something here? Has he infused a winning attitude on the teams he's been with?

Has he punished himself to play beyond his natural abilities, or coasted on his God given natural talent?

Remember, playing on an awful team that used him like a rented mule because they sucked otherwise, Dillon had the record for most yards in a game until recently and broke Jim Brown's record for most yards in a game for a rookie.

He still is the only player besides O.J. to rush for over 245 yds. twice.

On a bad team with the defense keying on you the whole game those inside yards hurt.

We're talking pain, struggle and perserverance here.

Please, please, please find some other analogy.

Thank you.

Hey I agree with you on a lot of this. But he is asked to be the leader of that football team and a leader he is not. Coming here he will only be asked to be a WR and a good teammate. He would not be our best player which would take some pressure off of him.

I don't see anything wrong with my analogy, Dillon had been in trouble with the law before, he *****ed and moaned to the media before, he threw his teammates under the bus as well. So I don't see where I am that far off.

If anything Randy dealt with a worse situation in Minnesota, because that was a talented team that dramatically fell short of their expectations every year. I think knowing you are on a team that has the talent to win but fails year in and year out is more painful than knowing you're on a team that doesn't have a chance, even in July of every year.

Last edited:
Re: Bill Belichick's View about Randy Moss as a Competitor

I admit it: I would be very excited to find out that Moss is coming here. VERY.

But I don't think it's at all likely.

First off, I don't think this is going to happen. The SI article is not even a rumor. It's Don Banks speculating what teams may be willing to make a deadline trade, which by the way almost never happen.

But if it were to happen i don't think he would be any kind of disruption. For one his role in NE, just like Corey's when he was brought here, would not be to carry the franchise on his back, put bodies in seats, or be a leader. A role Moss seemingly doesn't really want. All he would be asked to do is play football. Something he is still very good at.

I also think that he would be willing to restructure a short term contract to come here. Going to Oakland has been like a demotion to a JV team. In the two years sonce he has been there the top tier receivers that grab all the headlines are Chad Johnson, TO, Boldin, Fitzgerald, Harrison, Branch, etc...
You don't think that it kills him to know he is as good if not better than any of those guys? Trust me he wants to win, if not for passion for the game, for his own ego so that he gets back to the highlight reels and the praise.

Lastly, he may be immature but he is not an idiot. He has seen TO become the poster child for poor attitude and all the money it has cost him and I don't think he would tread down that path.

Why would the Pats give up a #1 (who, if he pans out, will be underpaid for 5 years), PLUS OVERPAY for Moss? Moss gets around $10M/year... no receiver is worth that, and especially not to the pats, the way we spread the ball... i'd much rather get porter for $1M/year, and a #2 or 3 pick

Moss is a cap buster; i wouldnt take him for $10M/year, even if there were no compensation required.

Grizzafted said:
Have you been paying attention to the kinds of things that Moss has said about his coaching staff and fellow players in Oakland, and before that in Minnesotta? The Patriots train players to avoid the media, and Randy Moss acts like he's on Oprah Winfrey's couch every time someone puts a mic in his face.

That was funny.

Now I don't think what he is saying is untrue do you? I am not saying he should of said it. I am not defending that but that franchise is so disfunctional it breeds malcontent. They are losing while sitting Porter and they traded their next best WR to the Pats, not to mention they signed Aaron Brooks in a market that had Culpepper, Harrington, Kitna, Dilfer and Drew Brees available.

Grizzafted said:
Corey Dillon wasn't a model citizen in Cincinnatti, but he was tight-lipped with the media. It was obvious that he was frustrated by not winning. Randy Moss was a distraction and a malcontent on a Vikings team that WAS winning.

That is completely untrue. Dillon was a loudmouth to the media in Cincy. About the Moss in Minny read some of my other posts in this thread to see why I believe he was like that. The summary is: he was immature and playing on a team that wasn't winning at the level it should have.

According to PFT...
"Moss is signed through 2008, at salaries of $9.75 million and $11.25 million, respectively, in each of the next two seasons."
So let me get this straight, some of you advocate giving up a a FIRST round pick AND shelling out $21 million over 2 years to a guy that has work ethic issues. Do you think others in the lockeroom might have issues with management making Moss the second highest paid player on the team having played zero downs for the organization? Smart teams don't pay top dollar AND first round picks...it makes zero sense organizationally.

jimmyjames said:
First off, I don't think this is going to happen. The SI article is not even a rumor. It's Don Banks speculating what teams may be willing to make a deadline trade, which by the way almost never happen.

Exactly what I thought when I read it.

borg said:
According to PFT...
"Moss is signed through 2008, at salaries of $9.75 million and $11.25 million, respectively, in each of the next two seasons."
So let me get this straight, some of you advocate giving up a a FIRST round pick AND shelling out $21 million over 2 years to a guy that has work ethic issues. Do you think others in the lockeroom might have issues with management making Moss the second highest paid player on the team having played zero downs for the organization? Smart teams don't pay top dollar AND first round picks...it makes zero sense organizationally.

Great point, but I don't think too many on here have advocated giving up a #1 for him and most have felt that a restructuring of his contract would have to happen as well.

So in a nutshell that is not what the majority of us are saying, if any of us. I can only think of one or two posters who were willing to give up a #1.

More speculation. There is nothing to it until I see a headline saying, "Moss traded to the Patriots."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye