PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Rumours of Moss to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes (almost) too much sense. Pats need a receiver, Moss wants to win, Pats have an extra first round pick to trade, the Pats have a ton of space under the cap, etc. I say do it.

Anytime there are rumors about the pats, it usually means nothings happening! When you don't hear anything, then you can get surprised!

I'm sure the three issues are :

- How would he fit into the lockeroom.
- How quickly would he be ready to contribute fully.
- How much upside do our WR have short and longterm.

If the first two are answered positively, it comes down to what chance does Belichick think we have this year and does he think Jackson/Gabriel will be a good combo going forward.

My guess is Belichick is starting to think the team may have a legit chance this year. And that Moss/Jackson/Gabriel/Caldwell/Brown would be a hell of a group for this year and next. Plus not too expensive as they're all dirt cheap other than Moss.

Jacky Roberts said:
Pats have an extra first round pick to trade
Oh yeah, that's the other issue - compensation. Just because we have an extra 1st round pick doesn't mean we're trading it.

Dillon cost a #2, that's what I'd pay for Moss. Another vet.

Jacky Roberts said:
It makes (almost) too much sense. Pats need a receiver, Moss wants to win, Pats have an extra first round pick to trade, the Pats have a ton of space under the cap, etc. I say do it.

What part of his quote from last week about not really caring anymore leads you to believe he wants to win? How about the frequency with which he dogs it on his routes? Complains about getting the ball? Leaving the field early? I wouldn't put this guy on the team if the raiders gave him to us for nothing. All the talent in the world, absolutely no heart.

At first I didn't think this would a good move but the more I think of it the more I like it. I agree with the comment that Moss is like Dillon, when players consistently lose it might seem like they lose interest. I think Moss would be rejuvented with the move and would go back to being the dominant player he was. He will have something to prove and play with a chip on his shoulder. Playing for the Patriots is like playing for the Steelers of the 70's, 49ers of the 80's, it's an honor. He would live up to it. Plus Moss, Gabriel, Jackson and Troy would pose major mismatch problems for any defense and how about when going to five wide, we bring in Watson the speed on the field would be too much too handle. This coupled with our running game and solid D would make the Pats instant favorites to reach the SB.

Good points: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/don_banks/10/13/moss/index.html
As one NFL club executive said: "You can't dismiss it, because at this point in his career, Moss is a veteran player who wants to win and wants to be successful. He already has his money. He wants to get a ring, and he knows he isn't going to win that in Oakland. Can he come into that situation in New England and fly right? The Patriots have shown with Dillon what they can do with a perceived malcontent. How much different was Dillon in Cincinnati than Randy in Oakland? Plus, a good receiver wants to know who his quarterback is, and who's getting him the ball? He's going to get the ball with Tom Brady as his quarterback, and he knows that.''

BelichickFan said:
Oh yeah, that's the other issue - compensation. Just because we have an extra 1st round pick doesn't mean we're trading it.

Dillon cost a #2, that's what I'd pay for Moss. Another vet.

Seattle gave NE a first round pick because they thought Deion was the difference in getting them to the Super Bowl. In my opinion, Moss would offer NE the same thing. I dont think anyone can argue that Moss makes this offense a much more explosive unit. In the end, I'd take a Branch for Moss trade any day of the week.

Moss' work ethics are lazy(at least TO gives 110% in the game and on the practice field).

Stokes said:
What part of his quote from last week about not really caring anymore leads you to believe he wants to win? How about the frequency with which he dogs it on his routes? Complains about getting the ball? Leaving the field early? I wouldn't put this guy on the team if the raiders gave him to us for nothing. All the talent in the world, absolutely no heart.

You dont think having the chance to play with Brady/Belichick, etc would light a fire under this guy? I think it would.

I wouldn't want to give anything more than a 2nd and a 4th maybe a 2nd and a 3rd and I think most here share those sentiments (if they are even that gracious). Problem is, Oakland got Moss for a high first round pick and a decent linebacker (who was starting, don't know if he is anymore?). I think expecting even Oalkland to take anything less than a 1st rounder for him is ludicrous even for Oakland's standards. Personally, I don't want to give up a first for him. The way this team drafts, I think the pick would be a lot more valuable outside the context of this year.

Jacky Roberts said:

Is Moss worth a 1st round pick?

I'd offer them a 2dn and Patrick Pass...

Jacky Roberts said:
Seattle gave NE a first round pick because they thought Deion was the difference in getting them to the Super Bowl. In my opinion, Moss would offer NE the same thing. I dont think anyone can argue that Moss makes this offense a much more explosive unit. In the end, I'd take a Branch for Moss trade any day of the week.
Seattle did it because they overreacted. Poor them. I'm not trading a #1 pick for an oldish player with a sizeable contract. First round picks are the best bargains if you hit on them and we've done that consistently since 2001.

The #1s stay if I'm deciding.

Jacky Roberts said:

Me too, but we don't have Moss in hand to get Deion back:D

Jacky Roberts said:
You dont think having the chance to play with Brady/Belichick, etc would light a fire under this guy? I think it would.

I'd like to think it would, but given his track record of dogging it and generally being a nuisance, even on some successful Vikings teams, I just can't see it. Hey, if he were to come in and give 100% effort and keep his mouth shut he makes this a dominant offense, I just don't think its possible. The Moss Dillon comparison is off base I think since even though Corey was not a happy camper in Cincy, his effort was unquestioned. He was all out all the time for them, and simply couldn't take losing anymore. Moss is not that type of player.

Stokes said:

Nice to see that some people get it!

Some of you guys got to cut the crap, If you woke up monday morning and saw Reiss reporting that the Patriots aquired Randy Moss, you would all be crapping your pants in excitement, and the rest of the league would be crapping their pants.

Stokes said:
I'd like to think it would, but given his track record of dogging it and generally being a nuisance, even on some successful Vikings teams, I just can't see it. Hey, if he were to come in and give 100% effort and keep his mouth shut he makes this a dominant offense, I just don't think its possible. The Moss Dillon comparison is off base I think since even though Corey was not a happy camper in Cincy, his effort was unquestioned. He was all out all the time for them, and simply couldn't take losing anymore. Moss is not that type of player.

Excellant point!

Stokes said:

I want another banner hanging above the south end zone. If this guy comes and helps this team win, I dont care if he practices voodoo in his spare time. I realize his effort has been questioned, but he somehow managed to make Daunte Culpepper look good. Can you imagine how good he'd make Brady look?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes