PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

More Rumours of Moss to Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
DisgruntledTunaFan said:
Moss' work ethics are lazy(at least TO gives 110% in the game and on the practice field).

That's not exactly true, Corey refused to go into to a game when replaced as the starter.

Jacky Roberts said:
I want another banner hanging above the south end zone. If this guy comes and helps this guy win, I dont care if he practices voodoo in his spare time. I realize his effort has been questioned, but he somehow managed to make Daunte Culpepper look good. Can you imagine how good he'd make Brady look?

Maybe voodoo on Daunte led to his knee injury. Really I think the Pats have the makings of a championship level team already in place without having to take a 7-8 million flier on a guy who may/may not work out, and give up at least a #1 draft pick (I can't imagine Oakland giving him up for less than a #1, more likely a #1 and a #2 or #3). Brady seems to be doing OK in his career so far without Randy!

I would be very, very happy to get Randy Moss. A guy like that who calls for double coverage on the deep routes opens up everything. Even if he doesn't catch a ball and just runs up the sidelines for 5-10 plays a game, everything else in the playbook's probability for success goes way up.

Stokes said:
Brady seems to be doing OK in his career so far without Randy!

True, but this year he clearly is struggling to find a #1 guy. I'd make the trade. I want this team to win while Brady and Seymour are still in their primes. I think Moss makes this team the team to beat.

I don't see this happening for two main reasons.

Davis is likely to want to hear an offer with value similar to what he gave up for Moss (LB Napoleon Harris, the 7th overall pick and a 7th round pick). Leaving aside Harris, a 7th overall pick would mean 1500 pts on the draft value chart (see http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/6330687 ), which means both N. 1s if indeed Davis takes this position. If I recall correctly, at the time of that trade many insiders thought the Vikings had been fleeced.

More important is whether Moss would take the Corey Dillon route. Dillon had been on a losing team in a small market his whole career. He was ravenous to win when he got here. He put (and continues to put) ebrything else aside. If there is any real interest in Moss by the Pats, this is the only real question. I am skeptical Moss would fit in, but would love to be proved wrong.

If BB were satisfied that Moss has matured, giving up a 1 is a no-brainer. But would you give up two 1s? Or a 1 and Chad Jackson?

I believe all of these reports are just speculation but, if they were to become true, I'd love to see the Pats jump all over a trade for Moss. I mean adding Moss to this offense would take it to a level we have never seen before. I can only imagine what difficulties opposing defense would encounter trying to stop the Pats on offense. I don't think any could.

I dare say that if the Pats acquired Moss they'd be as close to a shoe-in to win the next couple Lombardi's as is possible.

I would imagine a 1st for Moss would be the bare bones minimum compensation that would be required to land him. If the Pats could consumate the deal for a 1st it would be a monumental steal of epic proportions for the Pats which is probably why why this will never happen :(

Stokes said:
What part of his quote from last week about not really caring anymore leads you to believe he wants to win? How about the frequency with which he dogs it on his routes? Complains about getting the ball? Leaving the field early? I wouldn't put this guy on the team if the raiders gave him to us for nothing. All the talent in the world, absolutely no heart.

I can't believe I am even having these thoughts let alone writing them. But the potential of a Brady to Moss combination would be amazing.

Everything you brought up with the exception of his recent comments - all took place while he was in Minnesota an underachieving, undisciplined football team. When he had the guidance of Chris Carter (who was no model citizen at one time) he was kept in check and just played football. Since he has been on the Raiders he has been fairly quiet with a few exceptions and has really handled himself on and off the field very well.

I think he fits into a Dillon mold, a guy who just wants to win and realizes his time is running short and he is playing for a misguided franchise going nowhere fast. I think coming into a veteran laiden locker room that is full of SuperBowl rings, could be the perfect scenario for him. I don't think giving up a 1 for him is what we should do, but tossing up a 2 and maybe a 6 or 7 as well would seem like a small risk to take for such a potentially big reward.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
Is Moss worth a 1st round pick?

I'd offer them a 2dn and Patrick Pass...

:ditto:

Hell can we clone him and give 2 or 3 Patrick's? just to make sure they suck for another 4 or 5 years?

Last edited:
If the trade were to happen prior to the start of the regular season then I'd say yes Randy is worth a 1st, but we're now a 3rd of the way into the season. Therefore his value is automatically reduced to no more than a 2nd IMO.

Bill Belichick's View about Randy Moss as a Competitor

Stokes said:
What part of his quote from last week about not really caring anymore leads you to believe he wants to win? How about the frequency with which he dogs it on his routes? Complains about getting the ball? Leaving the field early? I wouldn't put this guy on the team if the raiders gave him to us for nothing. All the talent in the world, absolutely no heart.

I've been looking for BB's views about Moss (I remembered that he had talked about him at length in his press conference).

Here they are:

Q: Could Moss play for you?
BB: Why not?
Q: People perceive him as not being a good teammate.
BB: Well, I don't know anything about that. I really don't know anything about that. We hear that stuff about a lot of people.
Q: How about him not competing?
BB: I think Randy Moss is a good competitor. I think he's really good. There are times when he isn't going full speed. He probably knows that there's no chance that he would get the ball on that play, not based on the route or the play, based on the way that the coverage has deployed itself and therefore where the quarterback is going to be going with the ball.
Q: Do your receivers ever do things like that?
BB: I think there are a lot of players who do that. Lawrence Taylor. Lawrence Taylor was a great player. Every play wasn't his top effort and he was a high-effort player. I'm not saying that. But, Lawrence Taylor knew what the plays were in the game. He knew on third-and-eight in the fourth quarter was a lot different than first-and-10 in the second quarter. And it was. One of Lawrence's greatest strengths was his biggest plays came in the most critical times in the game. Those were the plays that if you were playing against him, you better be ready for him because of that's...short yardage, goal line, third down, key plays in the game. Were all sitting in there watching the game and you just kind of know, 'Okay, this is a big play in the game coming up. This situation.' That's where Taylor would be at his best. You could find plenty of plays on second-and-three in the second quarter that didn't look like that. You could find that with probably a lot of other players too.

http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index.cfm?ac=audionewsdetail&pid=12718&pcid=85

That seems pretty conclusive to me.

The question I have is how would his salary fit under our cap, I know there is space there this year, but the next two years are pretty high for a WR in this overall salary system.. from the SI article..

"Here are the facts surrounding Moss' contract: After they play their Week 6 game at Denver, the Raiders still will owe Moss $ 4.85 million for the final 10 games of this season, and a combined $21 million over the last two seasons of his deal ($9.75 million in 2007, $11.25 million in 2008)."

I have a difficult time conceiving that we are asking other players to take Pats, team friendly contracts.. these numbers seem like a big allocation for the WR slot. I do not think all of our WR's right now equal half those numbers.

khayos said:
I would be very, very happy to get Randy Moss. A guy like that who calls for double coverage on the deep routes opens up everything. Even if he doesn't catch a ball and just runs up the sidelines for 5-10 plays a game, everything else in the playbook's probability for success goes way up.

I agree, and a deep threat is exactly what the Patriots are missing. His presence would make the rest of the receivers more effective, they are all a bunch of #2s and #3s that are stuck trying to be a number 1. Pushing the Safeties back also helps the running game, no more 11 men in the box.

I think it would be a great value to get him for one of the first round picks from 07.

Stokes said:
I'd like to think it would, but given his track record of dogging it and generally being a nuisance, even on some successful Vikings teams, I just can't see it. Hey, if he were to come in and give 100% effort and keep his mouth shut he makes this a dominant offense, I just don't think its possible. The Moss Dillon comparison is off base I think since even though Corey was not a happy camper in Cincy, his effort was unquestioned. He was all out all the time for them, and simply couldn't take losing anymore. Moss is not that type of player.

Just wanted to quote you.

Either a player has fire or he doesn't.

If you tried to light a fire under Moss he'd just turn around and light a spliff off it, then wipe his ass with the goal post.

If we got him for zilch, I might give it a shot. Draft pick and huge contract?

Light me up too.

Moss doesn't fit into the Foxboro locker room. Period. He would be unwilling to be humble and submit himself to the direction and guidance of the Patriots veteran corps, which eliminates this trade from the realm of possibility.

There's no chance this happens. Bottom line.

Re: Bill Belichick's View about Randy Moss as a Competitor

Mike the Brit said:
It actually seems inconclusive to me. Saying "why not" to whether a guy could play for him is different than saying "absolutely".

mgcolby said:
Everything you brought up with the exception of his recent comments - all took place while he was in Minnesota an underachieving, undisciplined football team. When he had the guidance of Chris Carter (who was no model citizen at one time) he was kept in check and just played football. Since he has been on the Raiders he has been fairly quiet with a few exceptions and has really handled himself on and off the field very well.

He refuses to block and jogs many routes in Oakland as well. Don't forget he's also been quiet from a statistical standpoint in Oakland as well. Yes Kerry Collins and Aaron Brooks were his QBs, but they've gotten big years out of lesser receivers in the past (Joe Horn and Amani Toomer). I refuse to believe that another new team will make him completely change his stripes, or that the Pats would absorb his cap hit not just this year, but in 2007 (9.75 million) or 2008 ($11.25 million) (of course assuming he won't restructure like Dillon did, which I doubt he would), and give up the necessary draft picks to get him.

Jacky Roberts said:
True, but this year he clearly is struggling to find a #1 guy. I'd make the trade. I want this team to win while Brady and Seymour are still in their primes. I think Moss makes this team the team to beat.
----------------------

agreed...you have lightening in a bottle now, take you chances, give brady someone who can catch the ball. I don't know if moss is the be all end all, but he is human and loves to win. I would take the chance....

Re: Bill Belichick's View about Randy Moss as a Competitor

Mike the Brit said:
I've been looking for BB's views about Moss (I remembered that he had talked about him at length in his press conference).

Wasn't this right before the Pats played the Raiders to open 2005, a time when Belichick NEVER NEVER says anything negative about a player on an opposing team?

i am not a Randy Moss fan but it could happen imho that he could join us

i think he wants to win (same reason why Corey Dillon arrived here then Junior Seau arrived here) and we need probably a real #1 WR

yes...i consider it a 50% possibility

let's see...

Grizzafted said:
Moss doesn't fit into the Foxboro locker room. Period. He would be unwilling to be humble and submit himself to the direction and guidance of the Patriots veteran corps, which eliminates this trade from the realm of possibility.

There's no chance this happens. Bottom line.

Not trying to be an @ss but how do you know that? That is the perception portrayed to us by the media and his actions 3+ years ago, but this locker room has plenty of guys who know how to win and buy into the program completely; they are the ones that will tell him how it is. Randy appears to have grown up and thus far has handled a poor situation pretty well, IMO. And to be honest I have always been in the camp of not wanting me first players and I still am, but to me Moss has put a lot of that behind him. Is he a perfect citizen, I doubt it but I don't think he would be a disruption especially if we kept winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back