PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MNF: New York Jets at Atlanta Falcons - Preview and Prediction

wow, did not expect this outcome when I got home late tonight.

makes the pats win vs Atlanta less impressive considering how badly the falcons are struggling. yay parity!

I can't really keep saying that the Falcons are a good team if they're dropping games like this. Injuries or not, they have no excuse for losing this game.

wow, did not expect this outcome when I got home late tonight.

makes the pats win vs Atlanta less impressive considering how badly the falcons are struggling. yay parity!

Worse yet, the Jets have Pittsburgh this weekend and we have the Saints.

Which means we could very well be looking at the 4-2 Pats vs the 4-2 Jets in two weeks. On top of that, the Jets don't have to play the Broncos this year. They get the Raiders and we get the Broncos. Jets game could very well be a must win for us.

Mike smith probably should have taken the points...but it probably wouldn't have mattered. Taking a field goal makes it a 3 point game...and if you keep that logic...then Atlanta doesn't go for it on 4th down twice late in the 4th. So another field goal makes it a tie game....and the jets still get the ball. Sure..butterfly effect and all that...but it doesn't magically mean that taking the field goal manes Atlanta wins.

well...seeing Rex Ryan jump a half foot off the ground, seeing the Jet players all whooping and hollering like they won the Super Bowl, seeing Rex all pumped up, their players sky high...you take the three points and THAT doesn't happen and then the Falcons come out in the 2nd half and roll...as Ryan's stats indicate.

Shoulda taken the points?? right...NO...definitely take the points...bad decision...period.

You can sit here and what if the rest of the night...it was a bad decision.

I can't really keep saying that the Falcons are a good team if they're dropping games like this. Injuries or not, they have no excuse for losing this game.

they let the Jets dictate tempo om THEIR field...I say it's their coaching

Mike Smith's decision to go for it in the first half instead of a FG cost them this game. Apparently he didn't learn from last week.

Worse yet, the Jets have Pittsburgh this weekend and we have the Saints.

Which means we could very well be looking at the 4-2 Pats vs the 4-2 Jets in two weeks. On top of that, the Jets don't have to play the Broncos this year. They get the Raiders and we get the Broncos. Jets game could very well be a must win for us.

Considering how good the jets D is they will be in most ball games. Jets look as much a threat as miami in the division mainly because of our putrid offense.And the broncos/raiders swap is huge.

they let the Jets dictate tempo om THEIR field...I say it's their coaching

Mike Smith is well organized but is not a hard-nosed coach. His team is soft. I do like Matt Ryan.

Mike smith probably should have taken the points...but it probably wouldn't have mattered. Taking a field goal makes it a 3 point game...and if you keep that logic...then Atlanta doesn't go for it on 4th down twice late in the 4th. So another field goal makes it a tie game....and the jets still get the ball. Sure..butterfly effect and all that...but it doesn't magically mean that taking the field goal manes Atlanta wins.

Doesnt make the call right. If he had made it, maybe he wouldve have called different plays and handled/milked the clock differently. Especially after he made he same dumb call last week. Players get cut for repeating same mistakes . So whats his excuse. He is totally incompetent as a head coach.

Mike Smith is well organized but is not a hard-nosed coach. His team is soft. I do like Matt Ryan.

But he is media friendly and a nice guy so it will buy him more time and sympathy .

well...seeing Rex Ryan jump a half foot off the ground, seeing the Jet players all whooping and hollering like they won the Super Bowl, seeing Rex all pumped up, their players sky high...you take the three points and THAT doesn't happen and then the Falcons come out in the 2nd half and roll...as Ryan's stats indicate.

Shoulda taken the points?? right...NO...definitely take the points...bad decision...period.

You can sit here and what if the rest of the night...it was a bad decision.

Sure...the emotional part is big. And it changes the complexion of the game. I'm simply implying that the logic of mike smith deciding to kick the field goal simply means they are down by 3 instead of 6...assuming that everything else stays equal. I believe that logic is faulty like you implied...but when the talking heads are completely ignoring the fact that you can't act like you get the field goal AND the touchdown in the end....because you don't go for it twice because you don't have to when a field goal ties the game.

Had Matt ryan not scored a touchdown and they turnover on downs...then you can definitely make that argument...once again assuming everything in a vacuum.

Doesnt make the call right. If he had made it, maybe he wouldve have called different plays and handled/milked the clock differently. Especially after he made he same dumb call last week. Players get cut for repeating same mistakes . So whats his excuse. He is totally incompetent as a head coach.

I agree 100%.

Sure...the emotional part is big. And it changes the complexion of the game. I'm simply implying that the logic of mike smith deciding to kick the field goal simply means they are down by 3 instead of 6...assuming that everything else stays equal. I believe that logic is faulty like you implied...but when the talking heads are completely ignoring the fact that you can't act like you get the field goal AND the touchdown in the end....because you don't go for it twice because you don't have to when a field goal ties the game.

Had Matt ryan not scored a touchdown and they turnover on downs...then you can definitely make that argument...once again assuming everything in a vacuum.

I'm confused...the Falcs were down ten points...that's TWO scores...Smith walked away with nothing....Football 101...end of first half and you have the chance to bring your team within ONE score, you TAKE it. Add to that the apparent fact that the Jets were IN the Atlanta backfield on every run and I find Smith's decision to run on 4th preposterous. Take the easy three, go to the lockerroom and regroup.

That Falcons lost really diminishes all the things we've accomplished so far.If we lose next week, then the story will be we need to play teams with losing record to win games.

That Falcons lost really diminishes all the things we've accomplished so far.If we lose next week, then the story will be we need to play teams with losing record to win games.

:confused::confused::confused:

I'm confused...the Falcs were down ten points...that's TWO scores...Smith walked away with nothing....Football 101...end of first half and you have the chance to bring your team within ONE score, you TAKE it. Add to that the apparent fact that the Jets were IN the Atlanta backfield on every run and I find Smith's decision to run on 4th preposterous. Take the easy three, go to the lockerroom and regroup.

I don't disagree. I thought it was a horrible call.

However..it does not mean Atlanta wins the game. Each team would have kept making adjustments to the situation at hand.

****.10 characters

If the jets can beat the Falcons at home then anybody can. Falcons are officially a horrible team.

Once they failed to get that TD at the end of the half and had another play because of the penalty I thought to myself "Wow they lucked out, now they can kick a FG." Nope, not Smith. Went for it again, failed and in the end they lose by 2 points.

They were playing another team the Pats beat. :confused:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back