PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

MMQB: Butler deserving of All-Pro consideration

Status
Not open for further replies.
Statistically speaking, Chris Harris Jr. has clearly out performed Aqib Talib in the past 22 games, and it's not even that close.

As of a week or two ago and according to the NBC statistics which started in late 2013, Harris had given up an opposing QBR of something in the high 40's, compared to Talib's middle 60s. Both are excellent, but Harris' have obviously been better.

More importantly, Harris hasn't given up a TD since late 2013, continuing a stretch that has seen 22 games now (unless he gave one up vs. CLE last week). Talib has given up at least 5 in that same time frame.

Either way you look at it, both are very good CBs, and it's allowed DEN the luxury to continue to use their first round draft pick from last year, Roby, as the 3rd corner.

Chris Harris is covering number 2 receivers with help (likely).

I don't understand the criticism of Malcolm at all.

The kid has been asked to basically guard the #1 of every team and has done a damn good job. Has he been beat before? Sure, who hasn't. Is he Revis? No, but who (that isn't on crack) thought that he would be.
I would add to that - was Revis, Revis after 6 career starts? No

You have to recognize when Peter King is talking out of his ass, even if it is praising one of your players.

I love Chris Harris.

REDwvyC.jpg

Peter King and his minions over at MMQB, are trying to kiss up after completely screwing up Deflategate...

I know King did not write it, but it is his site..

Chris Harris is covering number 2 receivers with help (likely).

You make a fair point that Harris probably isn't getting the opposing teams' number one target nearly as often as Talib is. That said, an argument can be made that teams may shy away from Talib a bit, thus giving Harris even more targets with quality players.

He plays both in the slot and also on the outside, so he's seeing his share of targets.

I hope that Butler can be as effective as Harris has been, as there are some similarities between the two as far as not getting invited to the combine, and continuing to show improvement every year.

I love Chris Harris.

REDwvyC.jpg

I would imagine that there are plenty of clips which show Talib, Sherman, and Revis (or more appropriately, Butler himself) missing tackles or getting juked, so I'm not too sure this adds much to the debate.

We can pretend that a 5-6 game sample size warrants comparison to more established players who have continued to progress every year, but it probably doesn't. At least not yet. Here's hoping that Butler follows the same path and continues to move forward. Either way, he's a great value player as an UDFA.

I'd take 2nd year CB Bashaud Breeland 10 times over, but he was a 4th round pick, so it's difficult to make a fair comparison to a guy like Butler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe