PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Missing Mrs B! Appreciation thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is the first year that Mrs B has not filed her training camp reports. I really miss them. The old saying is you don't know what you've got til it's gone applies in this case.

For the many years Karen has supplied us with her excellent reports, we thank her. I wonder if Karen is still stilling on 'the hill' doing her podcast (whatever that is:D)

Maybe I'll find out in few days if I can schedule my trip to TC this year.:rocker:

Not to worry, "I am teaching this summer so I only made a couple of sessions."

Last edited:
Mrs. B just reported everything she observed (and I'm not talking secret formations), and she didn't have an agenda filter as some in the media seem to. Some days you'd think there are only a handful of guys on the field. Then you catch the odd report of someone making a play or performing poorly and you wonder what are they all mostly watching...each other?? Matt Patricia's sock color and height? Two and a half hours of observation condensed into 6-8 paragraphs...and half of that a matter of opinion.

Yeah, I miss Mrs. B.

She did it so well and for so long that I honestly can't remember...were there detailed reports of daily camp drills before Karen? I seem to recall, way back when, that training camp "coverage" consisted mostly of boilerplate features on whichever player was speaking that day.

If she didn't exactly invent the genre, she certainly popularized it. I'd even say that Karen and the many who emulated her should get much of the credit for the huge crowds and event atmosphere of today's Patriot camps. New veteran FAs always marvel over it.

The off season has certainly not been the same without Karen's reports. They were must read material.

As much as I love football and Patriots football, I don't know if I would have been willing to go to every practice, twice a day for several years.

Sitting out there in the hot sun (not much shade at TC facility) and sometimes drizzle, then filing reports on every practice, was just amazing for a fan to do. Hell, the paid reporters had a little shaded tent not too far from where she sat on the hill. I don't know if they ever thought of inviting her to their area or not. They might have but if they didn't maybe they should have.

Hey Kids,

Thanks for the kind words and sentiments. As Phil mentioned, I am teaching this summer so my schedule doesn't coincide with daily camp jaunts. I did make it to a couple of sessions but honestly, it was so crowded that I couldn't even sit comfortably. Training camp certainly has evolved from the days of a couple of hundred fans at Bryant to 12K at a time this year at Gillette. There was a time when I could recognize every player on and off the field and actually knew many of them personally from being a fixture at camp. Now instead of it being a small mom and pop operation, it's become a big box store. Such is progress. As a fan of this team, it's great that they get so much support and are so well loved. However, it's just not practical for me anymore to spend my few days off, crowded like sardines on the hill where I can't stretch my legs out and then sit in traffic forever to get out of there. I still love my boys, and get excited about training camp but it's just not doable the way it was for the past decade.

Other things have evolved as well, such as the ability for the "people who actually get paid to report" to get info out to the masses before I could even drive home for the past few years. And yes, back in the day when I started my TC Reports, they were initially intended for a bunch of Pats fans and friends on an email listserve that I belong to in order to deliver the breaking news to them. News reports back at that time consisted of a featured news story the following day in the morning paper and I often broke the good stuff to my friends before anyone could ever read it in the paper. That led to my being asked to also share on message boards such as this one, Patriots Planet and KFFL. I have been told, more than once by a very respected and favorite Pats reporter, that my daily TC Reports were the first of their kind and led to the media's daily observations posted today. (Of course PFW took camp notes but only published them in the weekly paper, not daily on internet like they do now.)

So, while the commitment of doing daily reports, and driving back and forth twice a day, staying up to all hours to squeeze it all in, then do an audio podcast on top of it, was a LOT of work, it was a labor of love and I felt that it served a purpose to FELLOW FANS. :) Now, however, logistically, I don't have the time or access to camp like I did back then when I didn't work summers, but more importantly, with the glut of info coming out of camp via Twitter, blogs, Facebook, podcasts, video, other fans in the stands etc.... my reports are no longer as necessary because they will be old news by the time I even get home and the info would be redundant.

Meanwhile, I can pine for the old days, but like everything else in life, change is inevitable. (Ahhhh... Bryant, where there wasn't even a "fan section". I could just walk along the ropes anywhere around the entire fields and observe whatever I wanted. No sitting...heaven!) Thanks everyone here for always supporting me and showing your appreciation. It's meant a lot to me and kept me going when burning the midnight oil for all of those years.

Go Pats!!!!!

Karen (Mrs. B.)

Last edited:
Mrs B,

I can honestly say that your TC reports were the highlight of my day. I haven't been able to go to any of the sessions, and your reports gave me and so many others a remarkable window into the trials and tribulations of a team in the making, and of the fans who love them.

What made your reports so wonderful is the way you have of not only seeing what is going on, but of putting it into words that made us really see the thing, understand a bit of what was going on, and had a better "feel", to my mind, than the columns of many of the paid reporters of the daily rags.

Things do change. We grow older, players come and go, and the game itself has changed quite a bit since even vaunted Coach B came aboard. But i miss your reports, and though I've wondered about their absence, I am happy that you are employed and doing well.

Thanks for the many great posting you made from camp, and I look forward to your writings during the season.

GO PATS!!!!!!!

Gwedd said it better than I. Mrs B's reports were avidly consumed and compelling enough for me to travel up from Southern CT to attend camp for several years. Even though technology and coverage has meant quicker more frequent information, today's blogs, tweets and media still fall short of her observations and insights.

It is a shame though that the new reporting, and increased public attendance have made it more difficult for Karen to operate, as she did in the past. Perhaps Mrs B could be persuaded to write just one report a week, and give us her impressions of the rookies and FAs that have been assembled, as well as her view of the strengths and weaknesses of each unit. What I miss most is her perspective and analysis on the team (players and coaches), and the color and objectivity she provided in each and every bulletin (even when discussing 54).

Mrs B, you are sorely missed.

I remember you from Bryant ,Mr's B...those were the days...don't know if you recall, but I'm J.O., big guy, walrus mustache...wrote up reports for the Unofficial NEP.com board back in those days...I remember a conversation we had in the drizzle underneath the press tent one afternoon as Bledsoe was throwing frozen rocket ropes 50 yards downfield...lots of water under the bridge since those days for sure...I went to camp three times so far this season and it's like going to a rock concert or something....

Mrs. B, just want to thank you for all that you've done to enrich my experience as a Patriots fan throughout the years. I'm a Bryant graduate, and remember those Patriots' TC days fondly. Thanks for all you've provided us through the years.

I haven't been to many games at Gillette, but I have met Miguel and Mrs B. Mrs B. was as charming and gracious as anyone could possibly be while struggling to control a canopy in the pouring rain. Legends! All thanks and best wishes to them both.

Hey Kids,

Thanks for the kind words and sentiments. As Phil mentioned, I am teaching this summer so my schedule doesn't coincide with daily camp jaunts. I did make it to a couple of sessions but honestly, it was so crowded that I couldn't even sit comfortably. Training camp certainly has evolved from the days of a couple of hundred fans at Bryant to 12K at a time this year at Gillette. There was a time when I could recognize every player on and off the field and actually knew many of them personally from being a fixture at camp. Now instead of it being a small mom and pop operation, it's become a big box store. Such is progress. As a fan of this team, it's great that they get so much support and are so well loved. However, it's just not practical for me anymore to spend my few days off, crowded like sardines on the hill where I can't stretch my legs out and then sit in traffic forever to get out of there. I still love my boys, and get excited about training camp but it's just not doable the way it was for the past decade.

Other things have evolved as well, such as the ability for the "people who actually get paid to report" to get info out to the masses before I could even drive home for the past few years. And yes, back in the day when I started my TC Reports, they were initially intended for a bunch of Pats fans and friends on an email listserve that I belong to in order to deliver the breaking news to them. News reports back at that time consisted of a featured news story the following day in the morning paper and I often broke the good stuff to my friends before anyone could ever read it in the paper. That led to my being asked to also share on message boards such as this one, Patriots Planet and KFFL. I have been told, more than once by a very respected and favorite Pats reporter, that my daily TC Reports were the first of their kind and led to the media's daily observations posted today. (Of course PFW took camp notes but only published them in the weekly paper, not daily on internet like they do now.)

So, while the commitment of doing daily reports, and driving back and forth twice a day, staying up to all hours to squeeze it all in, then do an audio podcast on top of it, was a LOT of work, it was a labor of love and I felt that it served a purpose to FELLOW FANS. :) Now, however, logistically, I don't have the time or access to camp like I did back then when I didn't work summers, but more importantly, with the glut of info coming out of camp via Twitter, blogs, Facebook, podcasts, video, other fans in the stands etc.... my reports are no longer as necessary because they will be old news by the time I even get home and the info would be redundant.

Meanwhile, I can pine for the old days, but like everything else in life, change is inevitable. (Ahhhh... Bryant, where there wasn't even a "fan section". I could just walk along the ropes anywhere around the entire fields and observe whatever I wanted. No sitting...heaven!) Thanks everyone here for always supporting me and showing your appreciation. It's meant a lot to me and kept me going when burning the midnight oil for all of those years.

Go Pats!!!!!

Karen (Mrs. B.)

Karen,

Even though the media basically tried to copy what you did, it's still not as good as the original.

There was something missing this year in the info that we have been receiving this year. I had thought from time to time that was your reports that was the missing piece. So, last night I decided to make it known on the boards. And it appears that I'm not the only one who feels that way.

Best of luck to you always. What you did over the years was fantastic and should be remembered by all Patriots fans. :rocker:

Shout out to Mrs B! Your TC reports were awesome! We chatted briefly at training camp in 2003 and the pleasure was all mine :)

See, this is why I need 10 Billion Dollars so I can buy the team.
39.gif

If I were running things, I'd just pay Missus B to do'er thing, cover whatever Logistics she required ~ Chopper to and from? Shady Veranda with Portable AC Unit? I Pad? Piña Colada? Coooooooooool Water SandWich and a Sunday Go T' Meetin' Bun, Bow Bow Bow?? ~ and we would all rejoice in her singular Insights.
th_coffee.gif

Who's got 10 Bill to lend me?? I'm good for it. :D

Otherwise...Give me 20 to 25 years, Missus B. ;)

Hey Kids,

Go Pats!!!!!

Karen (Mrs. B.)

Hi Mrs. B,

From one of the many admirers of your work, thanks so much for your efforts and insights all those years. TC isn't quite the same with them, but your reasons for the change make all the sense in the world.

Take care, and ... Full Tilt Full Time!!

Karen, its been a long time from the KFFL days. I stop by every now and then its kind of sad to see how that board has dried up. There were some great posters there, and so few remain.

I couldn't help smile when you wrote about how doing those reports now would just be redundant because the media now does a pretty good job of doing what you used to do so well. How does it feel to be a media trailblazer.

I was at yesterday's practice, and I contemplated doing a report, but didn't just for the reason you so aptly pointed out. I still haven't figured out how Greg Bedard can be so detailed in his OL/DL one on one reports given the distance between the media tent and where they are doing the drills. ;)

But this might be a good time to point out one thing that I hadn't seen mentioned in the media reports of yesterday's practice. During the team defense section, they clearly worked on several plays against the "Wildcat". Never too early to get ready for the Jets.

Again thanks for the service you've provide us with for many years. However busy you are though, it wouldn't hurt if you added your opinion to the various issues of the day more often.

Last edited:
...Other things have evolved as well, such as the ability for the "people who actually get paid to report" to get info out to the masses before I could even drive home for the past few years. And yes, back in the day when I started my TC Reports, they were initially intended for a bunch of Pats fans and friends on an email listserve that I belong to in order to deliver the breaking news to them. News reports back at that time consisted of a featured news story the following day in the morning paper and I often broke the good stuff to my friends before anyone could ever read it in the paper. That led to my being asked to also share on message boards such as this one, Patriots Planet and KFFL. I have been told, more than once by a very respected and favorite Pats reporter, that my daily TC Reports were the first of their kind and led to the media's daily observations posted today. (Of course PFW took camp notes but only published them in the weekly paper, not daily on internet like they do now.)...

Not being among those in bold above is exactly why your posts were so great. It's one thing to get reports from a reporter who's just there for his/her job. It was something completely different to get something from a fan who was there everyday and could offer insight into little changes over the course of a camp, and could post things without worrying about bosses or the like.

Your posts are missed, and thank you for all your efforts. Enjoy the rest of the summer, and enjoy the 2012 Patriots season.

Karen,

THe biggest compliment is that your reports have spawned all the training camp reports and blogs we now see. You were Reiss' Pieces before Mike Reiss!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST