PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Vrabel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tedy has reportedly been washed up for years and yet oddly yesterday we kept hearing his name over and over over...:rolleyes:

Honestly we're a fan base that to some extent has lost all capacity to enjoy as Junior so aptly calls it the journey that is each NFL season...

Some people think we should have blended in some young linebackers 2 years ago. We'll see.

Yeah, I've been posting a lot about his diminishing skills. Obviously, we appreciate all the great things he has done for us, but his career is on the back end. I dont know how much his contract is, or what his cap number is for next year, but i think he will need to restructure, or will be gone. With Guyton getting increased playing time, and hopefully Crable getting better each week, I think we will be able to replace him, and probably upgrade quite substantially.

Yeah, I've been posting a lot about his diminishing skills. Obviously, we appreciate all the great things he has done for us, but his career is on the back end. I dont know how much his contract is, or what his cap number is for next year, but i think he will need to restructure, or will be gone. With Guyton getting increased playing time, and hopefully Crable getting better each week, I think we will be able to replace him, and probably upgrade quite substantially.

Upgrade quite substantially?
With who? Crable?
That does'nt add up for me.
And I thought Guyton played inside, oh well.
Sounds like Crable has his work cut out for him.
Personally, I'm not ready to bury Vrabel just yet.

How long has it been now since he's had a TD catch?

The guy has obviously lost it.

But seriously ...

I don't recall Vrabel ever having more than two pass rush moves:

1. Run past the tackle on the outside and get around him.
2. Hope they forget to block him, in which case he runs straight at the QB.

#2 generally is more successful.

Exactly the same things could be said about a certain former Patriot LB, who holds the NFL record for post-season sacks.

The Patriots let McGinest go when he still was a great locker room leader and still knew how to beat guys up at the line of scrimmage. Vrabel, however, is a more versatile and durable player than McGinest. He's also less egotistical, and more interested in building for a future coaching career. (Note: If I were a good-looking rich black guy from LA, I'd be just as egotistical as McGinest.)

We KNOW Tedy will stay throughout his career. Hopefully he can be a useful role player for a while after he no longer starts.

I see Vrabel as somewhere between McGinest and Bruschi in his likelihood of staying with the Pats as his abilities decline. I hope it works out. I also hope he becomes a great coach after he's done playing, either for Ohio State or the Pats.

The guy has been non-existent for over a year now. Last year, when he made the pro-bowl, he had many sacks where the offensive line forgot to block him, where his sacks were not the product of him beating the lineman. As I recall, halfway through the year when teams started to realize that they had to block him, he disappeared. That has carried over till this year. He may play, but I think we need a guy in there who can pass rush. Maybe Crable isnt the answer, but he was a playmaker. He probably isnt ready if he isnt even active on gameday. I thought Guyton was an outside backer coming out of college, maybe I am wrong. I just feel with his speed he can force some action, and looks to have a similar build as Colvin.

Some people think we should have blended in some young linebackers 2 years ago. We'll see.

Doesn't do any good to blend 'em if they can't play the scheme. Bill drafted LB's when he perceived a viable opportunity to.

I was going to post what a waste of bandwidth threads like this are until I saw this one at least put maryjane out of our misery...:bye2:

We need to draft an OLB this year, for sure.

capt. downer, nice to have you reading my stuff. Remember, keep smiling, Matt Cassel is our QB. :D

It's my pleasure to read your well-written, thoughtful - though occasionally over-optimistic - posts, Mr. Box.

Besides, I'm always smiling after a Manning loss. Too bad Worthlessbooger & the Squeelers couldn't hold up their end of the Daily Double.

What do all those words have to do with the fact that whenever Vrabel rushes the QB, he doesn't ever get close to him, even when only blocked one-on-one? His days of being a pass-rusher worthy of respect, much less fear, are over. If Woods can show that he can properly hold the edge on runs, then he should start instead; Crable should be a game-day active (esp. with Jarvis still out), and Vrabel can rotate at ILB with Bruschi.

Do you ever honestly think befor you post?

1) Vrabel sets the edge very well. He also lines up next to Seymour, who is starting to see double teams again.

2) Vrabel is not being asked to rush the passer as much from the ROLB sport.

3) Crable and Jarvis Green play 2 different positions. Making Crable a game day active would NOT make up for not having green. It would hamstring the Pats ability to rotate in D-linemen the way they do.

4) Moving Vrable back to ILB would not help the team, either in rotation with Bruschi or playing full time next to Mayo.

Why do people on this forum say this? Why would the Pats want any player to play poorly or be a non factor? This is an excuse that many people on this board are playing out. Whenever a player plays bad, people say "it's part of the game plan". Give me a break. Vrabel has been really bad this year, that is not what the game plan calls for. I'm 100% sure they don't tell him to get stoned at the line when he's rushing the passer one on one. It's becoming a joke when I see him try to get after the QB, especially when he stunts inside.

You really don't know what you are talking about at times. No one is saying that the Pats want any player to play poorly or be a non-factor. The problem doesn't lie in the explanation that is being given to you. It lies in your lack of understanding of what you see on the field. For instance, against the Chargers, the game plan was to shut down the run. PERIOD. That means the Pats weren't going to put pressure on the QB regardless. It meant that Vrabel's job was to set the edge and prevent Tomlinson and Sproles from being able to run outside.

Also, after the year he had last year, teams are gameplanning for him. Meaning they are watching where he's at and Putting someone one on one with him. Going up against a more athletic TE or having a RB pick you up in the backfield is not the same as beating a less mobile tackle.

Vrabel hasn't been "really bad this year." He's been solid. Just because he's not being FLASHY with sacks doesn't mean he's not doing his job.

I hope its more than that.. Especially a starter who is making some good cash..

Why do you hope its more than that? Because of your lack of understanding of the game plans? As for "making some good cash", I have news for you, Vrabel's salary and bonuses this year total about $3 million. I think you'll find that there are many starting OLBs who are making more.

The guy has been non-existent for over a year now. Last year, when he made the pro-bowl, he had many sacks where the offensive line forgot to block him, where his sacks were not the product of him beating the lineman. As I recall, halfway through the year when teams started to realize that they had to block him, he disappeared. That has carried over till this year. He may play, but I think we need a guy in there who can pass rush. Maybe Crable isnt the answer, but he was a playmaker. He probably isnt ready if he isnt even active on gameday. I thought Guyton was an outside backer coming out of college, maybe I am wrong. I just feel with his speed he can force some action, and looks to have a similar build as Colvin.

You really should watch the games more closely. Teams didn't forget to block Vrabel. Sorry. Vrabel was beating RTs very handedly up until Colvin went down and teams started leaving the TE on his side to block him as well.

Vrabel's sacks fell off when Colvin went down to injury and Thomas moved to OLB.

Guyton played both MLB and OLB in college. He's playing ILB for the Patriots, primarily on passing downs.

I have to admit that I haven't seen Vrabel making spectacular plays, sacks, etc. but that in no way means that he is not playing well. I can say that his block on Leonard Little on the Green-Ellis TD was superb though.

These guys are put in a position to succeed in every game. I really think Bill adjusts players for two reasons:

1) Match-up (pretty obvious)

2) Degrading physical tools.

For example: you don't trade a vet safety in for a rookie because he's a bit faster. Obviously if your safety is using a walker you've got an issue, though.

The logic is that a slower player will often use less steps due to accurate play diagnosis. Bill knows he can't magically implant experience or good instincts.

I'd rather bank on someone who has shown those two intangibles than a guy with an inhuman 40 speed.

To Vrabel, I suspect it's both of the above. He may not be in peak game shape yet (but he's awful close, imo) and that process will get slower year by year, but his ability to act decisively makes him very dangerous.

I love watching the vets play. Deltha's juggling INT is likely just a pass def. by one of our rookies.

Do you ever honestly think before you disparage anyone who disagrees with you?

Unlike you, I think my posts through very thoroughly, thank you. And, how can I be disparaging you when I am simply asking a question? Or are you that self-centered and insecure that you have to take everything as an insult.

You certainly haven't helped yourself through your time here, regularly posting things that are so far off base that you are regularly questioned, not just by myself, but by people such as Mo, Box, Pats1, etc.

DaBruinz---If you watched the games last year, you would see that he had at least 25% of his sacks, at least 3 sacks I can remember off-hand, where when nobody touched him. He had to have had 75% of his sacks through the first eight games. Teams caught on, and he went non-existent. You can be loyal, which is fine, but if you watched the games more carefully, maybe you would agree with me. I actually really like Vrabel, I was giving my opinion on what I felt about him. He hasnt been productive, in my opinion. He is a team leader, which is immeasurable. He is a smart player, which is the same. Maybe we don't have anybody better on the roster as a complete player, but his skills are diminishing. Our weakness is a pass rush, so I look to him and Adalius. If teams are double teaming one of AT and Vrabel, I am pretty sure they double AT. Therefore, I have no problems with Adalius. So, I look at Vrabel.

Also, to say you think all your posts through thoroughly is a joke. You have almost 10,000 posts. Think about it. 10,000 posts. If you think about each post carefully through in your head, then have to actually write the post. It would take I would say, 1 min and 30 seconds per post, and this is being generous if you truly think each post through. That would mean 15,000 minutes of post time, or the equivalent of 250 hours worth of "thoughtful posting." And this estimate is being generous. Not to mention the fact that you have to read other people's posts to think through what they said. Wow.

but at least you're for mccain

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes