PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mike Evans gets BIG Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard it was originally for 90M, but the guy dropped the pen when it was handed to him to sign the contract. Ba-dum-ching

Mike Evans is certainly deserving of a big extension. He’s one of the top 5 WRs in the game. I hope Cooks isn’t looking for 16m a year or he’s long gone. It would be nice to see something around 13m a year, but even then, I think they would be hesitant without seeing him here for one more year.

This could play into the idea of a Cooks trade similar to recent Belichickean moves - a guy's gonna get paid in free agency in the upcoming year, so you get something for him a year early. Honestly, I think it's inevitable that UNLESS Belichick loves Cooks on the team, that hes traded by the trade deadline

$55m of it guaranteed smdh, there goes the WR market

This could play into the idea of a Cooks trade similar to recent Belichickean moves - a guy's gonna get paid in free agency in the upcoming year, so you get something for him a year early. Honestly, I think it's inevitable that UNLESS Belichick loves Cooks on the team, that hes traded by the trade deadline

This take is absolute ****e. I mean a really big stinky pile of ****e.

There's a lot better chance Cooks signs a long term deal in the next week than there is of him getting traded by the trade deadline.

Belichick loves Cooks and fell in love with him during Pats/Saints scrimmages a couple of years ago.

Belichick in his entire career has only ever traded a 1st round pick once for a player and the player was Brandin Cooks.

Am I the only one that thinks Cooks has very little in common with Evans?
Each taken in the first round 4 yrs ago.

Evans = 4,600 yards and 32 TDs

Cooks = 4,100 yards and 28 TDs

Cooks isn’t the type of top 5 WR that Evans is, but he’s top 10.

Aside from the big guarantee, I’m not seeing how this is exactly “setting the market?”

Brown—17m
Hopkins—16+m
Landry—16.2m franchise tag
Evans—16+m

That's just too much for a receiver. He's a promising young player with 4 straight 1,000 yard seasons, but that's just way too much money. Good grief.

Cap inflation + positional inflation.

There's a lot better chance Cooks signs a long term deal in the next week than there is of him getting traded by the trade deadline.

Belichick loves Cooks and fell in love with him during Pats/Saints scrimmages a couple of years ago.

Belichick in his entire career has only ever traded a 1st round pick once for a player and the player was Brandin Cooks.
Not enough to pay him 16 mill, or even more.

Belichick has also never paid a WR anywhere near top of the market money for more than one year, which he did on 2 separate occasions. Those 2 players were Moss & Welker, both of whom were gone the following year. Make of that what you will but I wouldn't discount it.

And? I can give you 82.5m reason why the original poster had a point. BB has never paid top of market to a WR long term. He will just bring in another guy, some scrap heap cast off no one wants.

Man, that's a chitload of money. Crazy. Wonder where that puts them, cap-wize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST