PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Smith on Espn.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good read.

Yup. Smith, unlike a lot of the other national writers, does his homework, at least where the Patriots are concerned.

He makes all the difference. So honestly, it doesn't make a difference whether Branch shows up today or after 10 games. The Patriots' offense will be pretty good.
Nailed it right in the head. Good article by Smitty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's not forget about receivers who have come through Foxboro and not produced:

Andre Davis
Tim Dwight
Bethel Johnson
Donald Hayes

Just off the top of my head...

Edit: oops, posted that before I read the article and he does address the "scrubs"

Last edited:
SoCal Bong said:
Let's not forget about receivers who have come through Foxboro and not produced:

Andre Davis
Tim Dwight
Bethel Johnson
Donald Hayes

Just off the top of my head...

Edit: oops, posted that before I read the article and he does address the "scrubs"

The only one on that list that didn't produce was Donald Hayes.
All the others made at least a fair amount of contribution.

I really like Michael Smith and this article..but...does this paragraph make sense??

"Word is Branch wants a deal that averages $8 million to $9 million per season and includes $12 million in bonuses. There's also been talk that he wants a contract similar to the six-year, $39 million deal (including a $13.5 million bonus) the Colts' Reggie Wayne received this year just before he was to become a free agent. "

Isn't the "word" deal substantailly higher in value than the "RW" deal???

fgssand said:
I really like Michael Smith and this article..but...does this paragraph make sense??

"Word is Branch wants a deal that averages $8 million to $9 million per season and includes $12 million in bonuses. There's also been talk that he wants a contract similar to the six-year, $39 million deal (including a $13.5 million bonus) the Colts' Reggie Wayne received this year just before he was to become a free agent. "

Isn't the "word" deal substantailly higher in value than the "RW" deal???

I think he's either addressing two different rumors or that Branch either wants an avg of 8 or 9 mill per season for a short deal or if he's locked up for 6 years than he wants a deal similar to reggie wayne.

Great article, but is Deion Branch listening?

Little noticed are these amazing stats ....

- Both QB's combined to throw to 16 different receivers.

- Both QB'S threw at or near 75% completion rate

This offense is going to rock this year.

R

Kinda validates Sterling Sharpe's comments Saturday Nite, which he repeated about 50 times; "Tom Brady's favorite receiver is the open receiver."

GJAJ15 said:
Kinda validates Sterling Sharpe's comments Saturday Nite, which he repeated about 50 times; "Tom Brady's favorite receiver is the open receiver."

.... i was wondering if that phrase should be modified slightly to

"Tom Brady's favorite receiver is the receiver that's open when he's suppose to be."

It's no good if the the 3rd read is open when Tom is making his second read
for example but is covered when Tom reads him.

I should like to see their play book and hear them discuss the
timing of Tom's reads. Are the plays drawn up so that receivers are
anticipated to be open in sequence?

Thanks,
That was a great article. Brady does make WRs better than they would be with another team.

JR4 said:
.... i was wondering if that phrase should be modified slightly to

"Tom Brady's favorite receiver is the receiver that's open when he's suppose to be."

It's no good if the the 3rd read is open when Tom is making his second read
for example but is covered when Tom reads him.

I should like to see their play book and hear them discuss the
timing of Tom's reads. Are the plays drawn up so that receivers are
anticipated to be open in sequence?
Now that's an absolutely interesting notion. Seems like it's worth a bump. It is so difficult to really arm chair evaluate what's happening in the secondary because of TV shot preference. Intersting that we've never heard ANY pundit discuss this - including the ex-WR types.

There's plenty of room for compromise in the Branch situation. Someone has to blink first.

Ochmed Jones said:
There's plenty of room for compromise in the Branch situation. Someone has to blink first.
There's plenty of room...but there is no compromisde bt Deion..ball is in his court and the 24 second clock is counting down quick....

Great read, i always enjoy Michael Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back