PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Silver (Yahoo): A Growing Disconnect Between Brady, Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
How in the world is it a fact that there will be an LA franchise in 2011? That's real soon considering there's been no serious discussion of this by the league...

From Reiss's Sunday quick-hits -- I think Polian's comments exposed this Silver article for what it is, garbage:

Quick-hit thoughts around NFL & Pats - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

By Mike Reiss

Quick-hit thoughts from around the NFL and with the Patriots:

1. One line of thinking is that the Indianapolis Colts are closer to a contract extension with Peyton Manning than the Patriots are with Tom Brady. But after hearing what Colts general manager Bill Polian said Saturday Indianapolis Colts' Bill Polian says no system in place for Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis deals - ESPN, it sounds like the Colts and Manning have hardly started talking.

Last edited:
FWIW Belichick believes the QB position should take up no more than 10-12% of cap (provided of course you have one even worth that). Brady's deal last time fell well within those parameters. 12% of a $140M cap which would be the low side of what it averages over the next 5-6 seasons would be almost $17M per as an AAV. That is a tad above where I'd actually expect Brady's next deal to fall. I know mediots are talking about $20M per for Manning, but they were spewing the same nonsense about his little brother before he signed his recent deal that averages less than $16M. The problem isn't with the parameters, it's with the timing and construction of the contract based on the uncentainty of the next CBA and the need to get Wilfork and hopefully Mankins locked up within acceptable ranges as well.

Tom and Bill are both more interested in growing their legacies here than proving they could succeed somewhere else or absent each other. They built a dynasty here with Kraft and underscoring it wasn't some fortunate fluke is what matters to them. They appreciate the working conditions here (working with each other) and know it's not always that way elsewhere. You can tarnish a legacy through no fault of your own. Just ask Joe Gibbs.
Or Scott Pioli...

How can you know what percentage of the cap BB feels is the maximum the QB postion should take up? Myfirst guess would be you heard him say so in an interview, but there is just no chance that BB would make such a strategic idea public.

How can you know what percentage of the cap BB feels is the maximum the QB postion should take up? Myfirst guess would be you heard him say so in an interview, but there is just no chance that BB would make such a strategic idea public.

Patriots Reign. It's not a national secret formula.

Apparently the Colts are screwing over Manning now too. According to an ESPN interview with Bill Polian, he said the uncertainty of the CBA is stopping them from doing new deals with guys like Mathis and Wayne and that they haven't even started to negotiate with Manning.

Indianapolis Colts' Bill Polian says no system in place for Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis deals - ESPN

Of course this is further proof how the Pats are screwing Brady. The Colts respect Manning enough to not insult him with offers right now and rather just sit and wait. The Pats have insulted Brady by actually speaking to him.

The league and the NFLPA are in for it now... you don't mess with the Polian like that and get away with it. ;)

Patriots Reign. It's not a national secret formula.

While I don't remember that specific citation from the book it certainly should be read by all Pats fans. Time to find out to whom I "lent" my copy and re-read it during this awfull off season football drought. Many gems of insight.

On the down side - on his Sunday sports show on Comcast, Felger opined that because Brady hadn't denounced Silver's story than it must be true. :rolleyes: He had Silver on, but after I heard that intro, I could bring myself to listen.

BTW- the local media seems to think that Silver somehow has someone on the "inside" of the Brady camp. But I find this hard to believe given Silver's severe condemnation of Brady for (gasp) having a child out of wedlock.

Once again, his source used to be a local Brady sister

Even more ridiculous is that Peter King promoted Silver's garbage in his column this morning. And the beat goes on....

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Polian, on QB deals: “When (the labor situation) is resolved, those other situations will resolve themselves.”

We know where Brady stands in his contract year — waiting. And now, Colts President Bill Polian has provided an update on Manning… speaking with the same confidence as Robert Kraft does about Brady, but adding some emphasis on laying the groundwork now.

In comments to the Associated Press, Polian said he believes Manning’s deal will get worked out before it expires following the 2010 season.

“There’s probably some likelihood that that will happen,” Polian told AP. “But there’s a lot of work that we can do between then and now to lay groundwork and cover areas that we need to cover and talk about various different structures, and we’ll do that.”

Interestingly, Polian referenced Brady’s deal again, saying how teams are all struggling to know what to pay these guys — just like with the Pats and Brady.

“Everybody’s in the same boat,” Polian said. “Players are in the same boat, clubs are in the same boat. None of us know what’s involved and what the system will be like going forward. When that’s resolved, those other situations will resolve themselves.”

Its not just Felger, Holley is on board. Peter King is WAY off on this. This is all about Brady wanting to be closer to home. He can get the same money someplace else, be close to his son and keep his wife happy. I think you guys really miss the point on the son. He lives in LA, during the season Brady is in Foxborough for 6 months. That's a few visits and some time during the bye week. He LOVES LA as well. He's won 3 titles here, so its close minded to think these aren't factors. Are any of you people parents? There doesn't have to be a team in LA either. Dallas, Arizona or SF would be candidates as well. Dallas can pay him and put him in the biggest arena in sports. (3 hour flight to LA) Arizona with Ken Whisenhunt finally getting that act together can offer him an hour flight every Tuesday to see him son during the season. The Pats better pray the Franchise tag is not a casualty in the new CBA.

The question I ask this board, why would he stay other than a sense of loyalty. The Pats aren't Super Bowl contenders anymore, money yes, but he can get that anywhere, so as long as he can find a winning organization there is no real reason to stay. All his closest friends on the team have left as well. And if you ask people who know him. He loves Los Angeles. I know Boston people have trouble accepting that but its the truth. He's not from here.

Its not just Felger, Holley is on board. Peter King is WAY off on this. This is all about Brady wanting to be closer to home. He can get the same money someplace else, be close to his son and keep his wife happy. I think you guys really miss the point on the son. He lives in LA, during the season Brady is in Foxborough for 6 months. That's a few visits and some time during the bye week. He LOVES LA as well. He's won 3 titles here, so its close minded to think these aren't factors. Are any of you people parents? There doesn't have to be a team in LA either. Dallas, Arizona or SF would be candidates as well. Dallas can pay him and put him in the biggest arena in sports. (3 hour flight to LA) Arizona with Ken Whisenhunt finally getting that act together can offer him an hour flight every Tuesday to see him son during the season. The Pats better pray the Franchise tag is not a casualty in the new CBA.

The question I ask this board, why would he stay other than a sense of loyalty. The Pats aren't Super Bowl contenders anymore, money yes, but he can get that anywhere, so as long as he can find a winning organization there is no real reason to stay. All his closest friends on the team have left as well. And if you ask people who know him. He loves Los Angeles. I know Boston people have trouble accepting that but its the truth. He's not from here.

Didn't you get BANNED just last week?

I don't think that the colts situatuation and our are similar at all.

Manning clearly will stay and has no reason to move. His team has starting to extend his offensive players, and is acting as a team building for the next Manning contract. They have molded their odffensiv e coaching staff to accomodate Manning.

On the other hand, Brady has no reason to stay other than loyalty to Kraft. Most of his friends are gone, and he certainly isn't staying for his QB coach and coordinator. Brady could certainly stay, but he has every reason to move, if he can. Being able to take a plane home after a Sunday game has to be very attractive to Brady.

Bridget hails from East Longmeadow. That was one reason they got introduced by a mutual talent agent. If she were to get an offer to do series work out of NY after he relocated to LA Tom would be in the same situation visitation wise...

Tom has lots of freinds on this team. Welker is his latest BFF. He and Koppen remain tight. His HC rides in bicycle races to support him. He says next season he hopes Randy will. His owner attended his very exclusive wedding. Milloy was a close friend but even Brady will admit Bill is charged with making the best decisions for this team and he does and that is how it should be. He and Richard were never close. He was as disappointed in Branch's behavior as he was in the teams in losing him, but he's watched his and Givens careers from afar since and he knows how those unfolded. He'd have no friends and no comfort within a system starting out in a new location. Players leave every team for a variety of reasons including the ones that facillitate their leaving here, cost vs. effectiveness.

Brady cares about his football legacy. And despite what geddie the troll spews, NE is just as much a contender as anyone this season and set up a lot better for the long haul than most teams currently in contention. Brady knows this because unlike geddie he's not an agenda driven, interweb dolt.

And the Colts situation is exactly like ours. Teams are operating in a vacuum absent a new CBA. Some will say screw it. The smart ones will take their time in hopes of avoiding costly mistakes down the road. They say the devil is in the details, and in 2006 Polian found himself in an unforseen mess due to the devilish rules of an expiring CBA impacting the Manning and Harrison annual restructures. Had they not settled on an extension he was threatening to sue everyone. I think he learned a lesson that time that even with Tom Condon whispering sweet nothings in your ear about how everything will be fine, sometimes **** happens even a super agent like Condon didn't forsee...

Tom would like to have a new deal done. That's human nature. So would Manning and Brees. Common sense tells them all that eventually they will get them. Sadly common sense is sorely lacking amoung mediots looking for ratings and fans anxious for something else they have no control over or intelligent grasp of to worry about.

Last edited:
I do believe we have our very own Michael Myers/Freddie Kreuger.

It's easier to get unbanned here than banned...

Looks like this one got his very own clean slate do over...that's a new twist...

must have had a week of counseling.

Looks like this one got his very own clean slate do over...that's a new twist...

must have had a week of counseling.

No - he got his other threads deleted, and then came back into this one. I've removed him.

Bridget hails from East Longmeadow. That was one reason they got introduced by a mutual talent agent. If she were to get an offer to do series work out of NY after he relocated to LA Tom would be in the same situation visitation wise...

Tom has lots of freinds on this team. Welker is his latest BFF. He and Koppen remain tight. His HC rides in bicycle races to support him. He says next season he hopes Randy will. His owner attended his very exclusive wedding. Milloy was a close friend but even Brady will admit Bill is charged with making the best decisions for this team and he does and that is how it should be. He and Richard were never close. He was as disappointed in Branch's behavior as he was in the teams in losing him, but he's watched his and Givens careers from afar since and he knows how those unfolded. He'd have no friends and no comfort within a system starting out in a new location. Players leave every team for a variety of reasons including the ones that facillitate their leaving here, cost vs. effectiveness.

Brady cares about his football legacy. And despite what geddie the troll spews, NE is just as much a contender as anyone this season and set up a lot better for the long haul than most teams currently in contention. Brady knows this because unlike geddie he's not an agenda driven, interweb dolt.

And the Colts situation is exactly like ours. Teams are operating in a vacuum absent a new CBA. Some will say screw it. The smart ones will take their time in hopes of avoiding costly mistakes down the road. They say the devil is in the details, and in 2006 Polian found himself in an unforseen mess due to the devilish rules of an expiring CBA impacting the Manning and Harrison annual restructures. Had they not settled on an extension he was threatening to sue everyone. I think he learned a lesson that time that even with Tom Condon whispering sweet nothings in your ear about how everything will be fine, sometimes **** happens even a super agent like Condon didn't forsee...

Tom would like to have a new deal done. That's human nature. So would Manning and Brees. Common sense tells them all that eventually they will get them. Sadly common sense is sorely lacking amoung mediots looking for ratings and fans anxious for something else they have no control over or intelligent grasp of to worry about.

Well written, well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back