PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Michael Silver (Yahoo): A Growing Disconnect Between Brady, Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that there are maybe nine people who know or might know what's "really" going on: Tom Brady, his dad, Gisele Bündchen, Bob Kraft, Myra Kraft, Jonathan Kraft, Bill Belichick, Nick Caserio (maybe) and Don Yee (maybe).

Of them, only Brady, Bob Kraft and Belichick "really, really" know.

And, of all of them only Brady and Bob Kraft "really, really, really" know.

Silver's inside source is not Tom as that bridge got a bit burnt. Word I have from a longtime connected Pats fan is that Silver uses a Brady sister as his inside source.

One last thing on this topic; let's compare what Silver included in his article on Kraft's quote to the rest of the quote from the Globe article:

Silver's Yahoo column:
Contrast that with the comments Kraft made to reporters in March at the NFL owner meetings in Orlando about a potential Brady extension: "Great things happen in life if you're flexible and not rigid. ... We're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. We're not sleeping. It's just complicated."

Original Globe column:
"Let's put it like this, Tom Brady is going to be a part of this franchise. He wants to be. We want him. Great things in life happen if you're flexible and not rigid. We have to find a way to satisfy him and the team, and have a team that can win, big-time. That's what it's about. So we're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. So we're not sleeping. It's just complicated, and it's complicated for everybody. We hope we do a satisfactory job. But we'll figure it out one way or the other."

In addition Silver chose to ignore this comment from Kraft:
“We’re very lucky to have him as our quarterback and we want him to be our quarterback for a long time into the future,’’ Kraft said. “Everything he represents is pretty special. He’s a winner. We’re privileged to have him a part of the New England Patriots organization.’’

So yeah, as said before, he's speculating and then looking to find ways to back his speculation. In other words rather than researching and then coming to a conclusion, he's doing the opposite.

One of two things is happening here.

Brady wants to play here after this season.

Brady doesnt want to play here after this season.

Either one is fine. Life will go on. I could see why both options would be appealing to him and wouldnt/couldnt fault him one bit if he decided to move on.

While I didn't even bother to read the article as I am sure Silver has no insider info, I for one don't think Brady is a lock to re-sign with the Pats. I don't need an article written by a yahoo to tell me that Tommy Boy has grown up since he started here, and like lots of people who get married and have kids, his focus is completely different from what it was when he was a young guy. If the Pats are offering basically the same money he could get from a west coast team, why wouldn't he consider it? Like the rest of us who (unfortunately) have more to think about than working out and playing football, he'll probably think about a move if it would be markedly better for him and his family. What really ties him to NE in a job that's bound to end in the next 10 years no matter where he plays? I think about his statement in that video that his favorite ring is "the next one," but he doesn't sound like that any more. Football has evolved for Brady into a job rather than a passion. It's still a good job, no doubt, doing something he loves, but until he signs on the dotted line, I'll be worried that whatever the Pats offer won't be enough to overcome the other "competition" in his life (that he didn't have last time he signed on the dotted line).

Fingers crossed the Michael Silver and me are wrong.

A fair and reasoned response. And, don't forget, while LA doesn't have a team, there are other west coast teams that wouldn't mind a Hall Of Fame QB. I didn't give Silver's link a hit either, for the record.

One last thing on this topic; let's compare what Silver included in his article on Kraft's quote to the rest of the quote from the Globe article:

Silver's Yahoo column:
Contrast that with the comments Kraft made to reporters in March at the NFL owner meetings in Orlando about a potential Brady extension: "Great things happen in life if you're flexible and not rigid. ... We're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. We're not sleeping. It's just complicated."

Original Globe column:
"Let's put it like this, Tom Brady is going to be a part of this franchise. He wants to be. We want him. Great things in life happen if you're flexible and not rigid. We have to find a way to satisfy him and the team, and have a team that can win, big-time. That's what it's about. So we're balancing a lot of different factors in an unknown environment. So we're not sleeping. It's just complicated, and it's complicated for everybody. We hope we do a satisfactory job. But we'll figure it out one way or the other."

“We’re very lucky to have him as our quarterback and we want him to be our quarterback for a long time into the future,’’ Kraft said. “Everything he represents is pretty special. He’s a winner. We’re privileged to have him a part of the New England Patriots organization.’’

So yeah, as said before, he's speculating and then looking to find ways to back his speculation. In other words rather than researching and then coming to a conclusion, he's doing the opposite.

Great reply. I didn't read Silver's piece, but I remember Kraft was very Pro Brady in his comments, and if Silver slanted his article to ignore all that, than you just busted him. That's bad journalism!

Silver's Yahoo column:

Original Globe column:

Wish I could say I was surprised :nooo:

You can tarnish a legacy through no fault of your own. Just ask Joe Gibbs.
Or Scott Pioli...

Ouch!
Give Pioli a little more time, Mo. I'm hoping that he & the Chiefs further tarnish the legacies of Norv Turner & Uncle Al Davis instead.

While I didn't even bother to read the article as I am sure Silver has no insider info, I for one don't think Brady is a lock to re-sign with the Pats. I don't need an article written by a yahoo to tell me that Tommy Boy has grown up since he started here, and like lots of people who get married and have kids, his focus is completely different from what it was when he was a young guy. If the Pats are offering basically the same money he could get from a west coast team, why wouldn't he consider it? Like the rest of us who (unfortunately) have more to think about than working out and playing football, he'll probably think about a move if it would be markedly better for him and his family. What really ties him to NE in a job that's bound to end in the next 10 years no matter where he plays? I think about his statement in that video that his favorite ring is "the next one," but he doesn't sound like that any more. Football has evolved for Brady into a job rather than a passion. It's still a good job, no doubt, doing something he loves, but until he signs on the dotted line, I'll be worried that whatever the Pats offer won't be enough to overcome the other "competition" in his life (that he didn't have last time he signed on the dotted line).

great post on the subject....Brady wants big time bucks this time around.....no more "take one for the team" attitude....the longer they take to get it done....the worse it will get and the better the chance he could sign elsewhere.....

Silver's Yahoo column:

Original Globe column:

Well done. That's a good "call out" on some sloppy journalism. Did you post it to Yahoo?

That's really well-put. Personally, I hope that the chance to do something no other QB/HC combination has ever done together (win a second SB together ten years after their first) keeps him in NE despite (a little) less money than he might get elsewhere, the pull of his family and his love of the OC.

But, that's about as good a description as I've ever seen of where I think Brady probably "is," based on the external evidence that is available to us and acknowledging that we're all just guessing in the end.

Overlooked, I think, is that Porter's pick in many ways sealed the dual legacy that Brady and Manning share: "The man who delivers in the clutch and has the rings to prove it and the man who is probably the most skilled QB in history." "Never say never," but it's getting highly unlikely that Manning will match Brady's rings.

As they get older and enter the final years of their productive careers, it's becoming clearer and clearer to me that Tom Brady and Peyton Manning will always be understood and spoken about in relation to each other. Theirs is truly the greatest individual rivalry in the history of the NFL.

One of two things is happening here.

Brady wants to play here after this season.

Brady doesnt want to play here after this season.

Either one is fine. Life will go on. I could see why both options would be appealing to him and wouldnt/couldnt fault him one bit if he decided to move on.

Ah, at last! The person who might be able to negotiate world peace!

Silver's inside source is not Tom as that bridge got a bit burnt. Word I have from a longtime connected Pats fan is that Silver uses a Brady sister as his inside source.

Which one? Marcia, Jan or Cindy?

Oh no, seems to be a disconnect in the Manning negotiations, although in Manning's case it's between the owner and his GM... Somebody call Michael Silver...

"So it's futile to plan beyond just baseline kind of planning because you don't know what the final product is going to look like."

Owner Jim Irsay has said he intends to make Peyton Manning the highest-paid player in the NFL, and the four-time league MVP is entering the final year of his current deal.

But the timetable for talks with agent Tom Condon has not been established, Polian said.

"We'll sit down and talk and as we go forward, we'll figure out the various moving pieces and parts and we'll see which way we go," Polian said. "We'll talk, but there is no timetable. I don't put any timetable on it and neither has Jim Irsay . . . Tom and I have always handled those things."

Polian said such talks could occur during or even after the season if they need to.

Indianapolis Colts' Bill Polian says no system in place for Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis deals - ESPN

Funny how Polian sounds like he's parroting exactly what Kraft has been saying for a while now. He should have had a discussion with his knuckelhead owner before he blathered about plans for Manning's new deal that now may well wait until AFTER this season, apparently...

That bastid Brady, looks lke he's scrounging up some competition at small slot receiver for Welker...

Brady with buddies ... on Twitpic

What's with the new haircut? Damn that Giselle.

Last edited:
Apparently the Colts are screwing over Manning now too. According to an ESPN interview with Bill Polian, he said the uncertainty of the CBA is stopping them from doing new deals with guys like Mathis and Wayne and that they haven't even started to negotiate with Manning.

Indianapolis Colts' Bill Polian says no system in place for Reggie Wayne, Robert Mathis deals - ESPN

Of course this is further proof how the Pats are screwing Brady. The Colts respect Manning enough to not insult him with offers right now and rather just sit and wait. The Pats have insulted Brady by actually speaking to him.

Oh no, seems to be a disconnect in the Manning negotiations, although in Manning's case it's between the owner and his GM... Somebody call Michael Silver...

Funny how Polian sounds like he's parroting exactly what Kraft has been saying for a while now. He should have had a discussion with his knuckelhead owner before he blathered about plans for Manning's new deal that now may well wait until AFTER this season, apparently...

Oops! Should have read all the posts before I posted mine.

Apparently the Colts are screwing over Manning now too. According to an ESPN interview with Bill Polian, he said the uncertainty of the CBA is stopping them from doing new deals with guys like Mathis and Wayne and that they haven't even started to negotiate with Manning.

Of course this is further proof how the Pats are screwing Brady. The Colts respect Manning enough to not insult him with offers right now and rather just sit and wait. The Pats have insulted Brady by actually speaking to him.

Mathis and Wayne still have multiple years left on their deals, and Manning has already been publicly told, via the Colts owner, that he'll become the highest paid player in the game.

I don't know if Brady is feeling a disconnect from the Patriots over the contract situation. I do think that comparing his situation to the Colts is not a bit more apples to oranges than apples to apples.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes