PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

mesko released

Without being a jerk, there's a thread for Patriots players being cut KY. There's no need to start a new one every time a player is cut.

Without being a jerk, there's a thread for Patriots players being cut KY. There's no need to start a new one every time a player is cut.

I think surprising cuts like Mesko and Forston (and Tebow but he wasn't really a surprise) deserve their own threads.

I hope Allen's the real deal. Seemed to be more of a power punter than accurate.

Called this the minute they signed Allen.

This one deserves it's own thread.

This guy was the teams punter (and was damn good) for the past 3 years and did an incredible amount of work for charities in the community - -a Ron Burton award winner.

This isn't some UDFA rookie from Southwest State University.

I hope they picked the right guy because mesko wont be without a team for long.

Holy ****, I actually hate this move. I thought Mesko was a great punter and very cool, smart guy. What a pisser.

To me, the biggest shocker so far. I don't think I found a single roster prediction without him as our punter.

I actually saw one or two, but regardless very shocking..

I really dont like this move...Mesko looked alot better(more accurate) punting the ball than allen

Holy ****, I actually hate this move. I thought Mesko was a great punter and very cool, smart guy. What a pisser.

I agree. Aside from liking Mesko as a character, I was happy where the Pats were at the position.

Punter is a minor position, until it isn't. Any time someone new appears, I fear a return to the Ken Walter days when you thought it would probably have been better to just go for the first after you saw the result of many of the punts in his career.

Money considerations. Brady makes it so we don't even punt that much. Sometimes it's the second half before we even need the punter. Won SBs without a great punter in the past. Allen is no slouch - he was the best punter in the college ranks... more than one year....

Thank God they saved $700k. Now they're under the cap...oh wait.

I'm actually kind of excited about the move. Allen has a powerful leg.

Actually they saved $1M. My biggest concer is on kick holding but that is pretty easy....except for Tony Romo.

This is another example of the economics of this team, Mesko was going into his contract year.. they found a competent or what seems to be an equal replacement, so make the move now and spread the money elsewhere..

Don't fall in love with the veterans..

McCourty, Ninkovich and Spikes are all in their contract year...

Also interesting that as a group we spend time on a punter.. nice luxury, imagine being a jets fan right now???

This is another example of the economics of this team, Mesko was going into his contract year.. they found a competent or what seems to be an equal replacement, so make the move now and spread the money elsewhere..

Don't fall in love with the veterans..

McCourty, Ninkovich and Spikes are all in their contract year...

Also interesting that as a group we spend time on a punter.. nice luxury, imagine being a jets fan right now???

McCourty in a contract year? If he plays safety well this year, he can hold the team hostage. I don't care what Belichick's cap for safety is. McCourty can demand a 20% premium.

Zoltan Mesko · 8,901 like this
about a minute ago near Boston ·

First and foremost, I want to thank the New England Patriots for everything they have done for me. I have nothing but love in my heart as I depart this great organization. Mr. Kraft, the coaches, the strength staff, the trainers, the media personnel, the marketing department, the rest of the amazing staff members at Gillette, and especially my teammates…THANK YOU for all that you have given and have done for me. I want to say that I see the silver lining in things now more than ever, and am a true believer that things DO happen for a reason. This goes out to anyone that will ever come across a mere bump in the road; be thankful, be positive, because there’s a deeper purpose of WHY things happen that we may not yet, or may never come to understand. Just believe. I will miss New England, and more than anything, I’ll be missing the smiles on those kids whom I visited and acted like a goofball in front of. It was ALL worth it. God bless.

A guy who's cheaper for one year and tied up for multiple years, vs. a guy who's more expensive this year and then a FA. Big difference contractually.

Mesko seems like a great guy. Pity not to have him to root for any more. At least he'll land on his feet, no pun intended.

What's interesting is that this seems like a pretty clear downgrade at the position for one year. And that in turn speaks to the importance of the position, or lack thereof. While BB obviously cares whether opponents' drives start on the 10 or the 20, he obviously doesn't want to pay all that much to have that difference a few times per year.

A true class act. he will be missed.

Allen beat him out, it's that simple and Allen sealed his roster spot with his 2 tremendous directional corner punts to seal the Giants inside the ten yard line. Allen earned the spot, big congrats to him. Kid has a powerful leg and will prove to be a great asset for the team. All finances aside.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back