PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ian Rapaport echoes what I’ve been saying

O'Brien has been part of the problem. There are a lot of problems on this offense and it isn't just the QB. If Mac Jones was such a historically bad QB as some want to make him and he is the only real problem with this offense, even Zappe should have radically changed this offense and would have been able to score at least a field goal against the Chargers or wouldn't have completely fallen apart in the second half of the last two games.
You are telling me 10 wasn’t the problem because the offense is only a little better with a 2nd year 4th round pick who was exposed to waivers and none of the 32 teams wanted?
You are prolong up 10 for being only a little worse than a guy who may not even belong in the league.

I am pointing out you could have won some of those game with Mac Jones and better players around him just as much as you can argue that they could have won those games with a better QB.
I mean if Bill could win with a "game manager" like TB12, why not with Mac, d%#*!@t.

In all seriousness, I think the value that Bill places on offense is outdated. This explains the piss poor GM work he has done on offense. Defense, I have absolutely no complaints about, obviously.

O'Brien has been part of the problem. There are a lot of problems on this offense and it isn't just the QB. If Mac Jones was such a historically bad QB as some want to make him and he is the only real problem with this offense, even Zappe should have radically changed this offense and would have been able to score at least a field goal against the Chargers or wouldn't have completely fallen apart in the second half of the last two games.
More strawmen.

You are telling me 10 wasn’t the problem because the offense is only a little better with a 2nd year 4th round pick who was exposed to waivers and none of the 32 teams wanted?
You are prolong up 10 for being only a little worse than a guy who may not even belong in the league.

10 was a problem and towards the end a big problem, but he is far from the only problem on offense. There isn't a WR on this team who could make the Dolphins or Bengals' roster. Probably couldn't make about a half dozen or more rosters. None of them would get a starting job on most teams.

Other than Owenu and Anderson, none of the o-line would get starting jobs on at least half the teams in the league. Maybe Brown if he could stay healthy and on the field.

There has been reports that O'Brien wanted to call a much more modern offense than he is running. He wanted to incorporate a lot of what they were doing in Alabama with RPOs and other things. The reports say that Belichick has been overruling him and making him run a more traditional offense. If true, he might just be really frustrated for having his hands tied and getting the blame. But of course it could just be O'Brien passing the buck by leaking this to take the blame off of him since he is likely looking for a head coaching job.
I echo ******** on this. Sounds like this was pulled directly from your Mac Jones fantasy. Where are these reports?

So we are talking about 12 pass attempts 11 coming after he threw a pick that put him down 14 and the defense began ignoring the run. You think that has something to do with the pressure on 12 passes being higher than average?

Earlier in the year, the pressure rate was well over 50%. For Sunday, it was 48% total which is extremely high.

I echo ******** on this. Sounds like this was pulled directly from your Mac Jones fantasy. Where are these reports?
Because it is BS. You’d have to imagine the offense BoB planned to run would’ve been discussed prior to being hired.

I call BS. Show me these “reports”.

"I've talked to people inside the organization who feel Bill O'Brien isn't allowed to run the offense that he brought in," Breer said. "(Head coach) Bill (Belichick) basically tells him, 'This is what I want this week, this is what we're looking for,' and he works within those constraints. I mean, as recently as last night, somebody said to me in defense of Bill O'Brien, 'I don't think he's able to run everything that he learned as the head coach at Houston, as the head coach at Penn State, working at Alabama,' like all of the new-fangled stuff -- that's where the game is going.

"Some of that stuff, he's not able to run it to the level maybe he's learned to run it because of the restrictions here. And I think you can even see some of that in the way that they started games early in the year against Miami, against Philadelphia, before the talent issue kind of got to a critical mass.

"The way they came out of the gate, you could see some of the ingenuity, you could see some of the rhythm in what they were doing. All of that looks like it's gone now. And I know that there are at least some people who feel like part of it is the restrictions Bill (Belichick) is putting on him."

10 was a problem and towards the end a big problem, but he is far from the only problem on offense. There isn't a WR on this team who could make the Dolphins or Bengals' roster. Probably couldn't make about a half dozen or more rosters. None of them would get a starting job on most teams.

Other than Owenu and Anderson, none of the o-line would get starting jobs on at least half the teams in the league. Maybe Brown if he could stay healthy and on the field.
No one said he was the only problem. No team has only one problem. No team has 53 all pros
What he is, is at the least a QB who turned a team that would be at least .500 with a mediocre qb into a 3-11 team.

Strange and Sow are good young Gs. Anderson has barely played all year and was bad when he did, but it’s probably due to his mystery illness.

"I've talked to people inside the organization who feel Bill O'Brien isn't allowed to run the offense that he brought in," Breer said. "(Head coach) Bill (Belichick) basically tells him, 'This is what I want this week, this is what we're looking for,' and he works within those constraints. I mean, as recently as last night, somebody said to me in defense of Bill O'Brien, 'I don't think he's able to run everything that he learned as the head coach at Houston, as the head coach at Penn State, working at Alabama,' like all of the new-fangled stuff -- that's where the game is going.

"Some of that stuff, he's not able to run it to the level maybe he's learned to run it because of the restrictions here. And I think you can even see some of that in the way that they started games early in the year against Miami, against Philadelphia, before the talent issue kind of got to a critical mass.

"The way they came out of the gate, you could see some of the ingenuity, you could see some of the rhythm in what they were doing. All of that looks like it's gone now. And I know that there are at least some people who feel like part of it is the restrictions Bill (Belichick) is putting on him."

sounds like a tall tale.

The WR's are mediocre at best. Special teams is bad. The Oline has been up and down but mostly down. A mediocre QB doesn't fix any of that.
who's the ST coach? :maybenot:

I see way more issues than the QB.

Last edited:
they have two mediocre quarterbacks. the problem is they play like third stringers bc the jackass gm of the NEP surrounded said signal callers with third and fourth receivers, the online is a mess because the jackass gm of the NEP decided to stick the line with Jags, mid round draft picks, and guys who can't stay on the field. they play like third stringers because the jackass gm of the NEP decided not to have a third down back...comprende? capice?

9 wins is a .500 team, not a contender

I also think they're a .500 team with a half decent QB. That's not the same as saying they'd be a contender. Rapoport's claim is a big nothing burger.

I have a hard time believing this but I guess we will know in the offseason if BOB resigns.

There has been reports that O'Brien wanted to call a much more modern offense than he is running. He wanted to incorporate a lot of what they were doing in Alabama with RPOs and other things. The reports say that Belichick has been overruling him and making him run a more traditional offense. If true, he might just be really frustrated for having his hands tied and getting the blame. But of course it could just be O'Brien passing the buck by leaking this to take the blame off of him since he is likely looking for a head coaching job.
Idunno. I remember a time when BB would spend time picking the brains of college coaches to find a way to incorporate some of their system into ours with TB. I know some here will think BB is at such arrogant heights that this can no longer be true, but I'm calling BS on this theory. Now if BOB wanted to change the entire offense that's a different story and should have been worked out before his hire.

I asked the question last week what our record would be with Zappe as QB all season, one guy answered. I think we'd have 7-8 wins right now, not great but not as terrible as we are now.

Are we blaming BB or BOB.

Im trying to keep up with this ever changing story. BB did not micro manage Mickey D.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back