PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Meriweather...

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great game. Looks like Harrison is teaching him how to bring the lumber :rocker:

Not sure I 'd classify as a great game, but it seems that he has come a long way. I noticed that he seemed to be in the right place which lets me know he is grasping the the D a bit better.

Gotta come up with that pick though.

Height: 5-11 Weight: 200 Age: 23

He could probably put on 10 lbs. pretty easily.

i think the whole secondary played quite physical yesterday..

Didn't that big hit of his come at the end of an 11 yard running play? That's no time to pat yourself on the back IMO. Its progress, but its now time for him to raise his standards and not be real proud when a guy's allowed to run 11 yards down field on first down. If it had been 3rd and 12 when he made the hit, that would have been different.

Huh?.................

That's why they call it safety.

Last edited:
Didn't that big hit of his come at the end of an 11 yard running play? That's no time to pat yourself on the back IMO. Its progress, but its now time for him to raise his standards and not be real proud when a guy's allowed to run 11 yards down field on first down. If it had been 3rd and 12 when he made the hit, that would have been different.

it was a 2nd and 18 after a big sack and like the whole game, we played nickel/dime most of the time so Meriweather was deep. The pass was a screen or little drag to Ginn and he started running across field..juking..cut back and then Meriweather drilled him.

hes not an LB or a CB that was chasing him from behind..he had deep responsibilities it seemed

He is dropping picks, but the encouraging thing to me he is in the right place more often the second half of the year. He is starting to show up. I am encouraged.

J D Sal

All of the DB's owe a lot to Rodney. He's a presence and a force, and our red zone stats have improved greatly since #37 came back in the 5th game.

Eh, he is a rookie, give him a break. I know most of us were hard on him earlier in the year but he is showing great improvement. Yes he dropped sure ints YET AGAIN, but at least he was in position to make play which he was having trouble with earlier in the year.

How about that hit he had though? I was so giddy for the kid:rocker: !

Okay, so I was watching Bernie Kosar explaining why he threw one pass in some famous Cleveland comeback, even though his receiver was well covered. He said "There's a reason DBs are DBs... they can't catch."

The point here is that doing 99% of a DB's job, you make the offensive play not happen. Those real special guys -- yes, it looks like Asante is one of them -- can do that, plus scare the Bernie Kosars of the world not to "give it a try" by punishing them with an interception.

But still, it seems like the nature of stats and highlight reels will tend to overemphasize the importance of picks.

THat said, yeah it's better to catch them than drop them.

PFnV

Last edited:
So he's NOT the second coming of Chris Canty? Someone tell NSA/NEM.

Seriously, though, that was a huge hit. I think he learned that one from watching Sean Taylor in last year's Pro Bowl. :rocker:

Seriously, though, that was a huge hit. I think he learned that one from watching Sean Taylor in last year's Pro Bowl. :rocker:

Except the guy Taylor hit in the Pro Bowl is a better player. :D

the brightside is we cut 2 guys that were playing ahead of him at one point. Other brightside is hes getting on the film. The even brighter part is he hasnt been exposed at all..and hes been close to making quiet a few plays.

typical rookie season: ups and downs..some play more than others. Our DBs are playing very well so no need to rush him in. He missed few tackles, made some good ones. like BB would say @ the end of the year
"I think Brandon is a good player. Hes made some plays, few he probably could've done better. Hes learning everyday, works hard. "

RayClay..................correct..................not many D men LB/D backs come into NFL and "shine" the 1st or 2nd year

It's huge in my eyes that he was around the ball. Merriweather's problem wasn't playing time, hes been in a fairly decent amount. The problem was that when he was in, he was 25 miles away from the ball. Yesterday we saw a young safety that can hit and that go into a few pass plays. It's huge that he stays close to the ball in his rookie year. I know that sounds like a homer's justification, I remember in high school my coach always preached about your distance from the ball. I'm not worried that he dropped a freaking pick. I'm satisfied that he is out there hitting and he is around the plays. Eventually, he is going to make those plays.

Re: Merriweather...

Perhaps his most impressive play was tackling the Dolphins' STer who had an easy path to the endzone after Troy Brown's fumble.

Re: Merriweather...

Perhaps his most impressive play was tackling the Dolphins' STer who had an easy path to the endzone after Troy Brown's fumble.

didnt he also have the strip on a punt?

merriweather hits like a bag of bricks... has bricks for hands too.....

It's encouraging that he made the leap over an undrafted player and an injured street free agent. He earned the sixth DB spot in practice, so the team must be satisfied that he is progressing.

That said, he hasn't shown much other than making the field. He made the plays that were there, but dropped an easy interception. He didn't whiff, like he did earlier in the season, but he didn't blow up anything in front of him, he didn't cut down a runner, he didn't turn in any big plays.

Hopefully the playing time will be helpful and he will pick up the defense better over the coming offseason. He has a huge opportunity. Who knows if Rodney will be back, and Wilson is likely departing. Sanders can switch to Rodney's position, and Meriweather has the chance to compete for a starting spot.

Wilson did very well his rookie season, so it has been done. Let's hope Meriweather progresses enough to be an option there next year.

I didn't realize he'd played enough to drop 3 INTs.

As for Rodney being gone next year ... I'll make another thread about that.

NEM doesn't post here. Please stop perpetuating lies. Especially you newbies who have NO IDEA about him. And hey, if you're NOT a newbie, then you shouldn't be posting under multiple usernames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST