PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels likely to go to niners, Patricia likely to stay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what I think. His stock will rise year after year. If he's patient enough he could ride out Brady's career. If the Pats win with a young QB Josh's stock will skyrocket. Those premium jobs will get offered to him and he'll have more leverage at the table. Even if the Pats win a SB this year Josh will get more opportunities. He doesn't have to settle for whatever comes available.

The HC jobs available after the 2014 season:

Philadelphia Eagles
Atlanta Falcons
Denver Broncos
Chicago Bears
San Francisco 49ers
Oakland Raiders
Buffalo Bills
New York Jets

HC jobs available after the 2015 season:

Tennessee Titans
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Philadelphia Eagles
San Francisco 49ers
New York Giants
Cleveland Browns
Miami Dolphins

Anyways every year jobs open up. If Josh is patient those premium jobs will get offered to him eventually.
Every one of those jobs either fit the category of the kind of job he is supposed to turn down or a team that didn't want him.
The idea that as soon as a good job comes open it's his is naive.

I think you're talking extremes here. Nobody is suggesting Josh wait for a Super Bowl contender opportunity to open up, but it's a lot of effort and time to implement a proper program, and he can't just pick up his family and go somewhere for a year, only to get fired and move again.

Some coaches DO need to do that, especially position coaches. But Josh can be more selective.

You're assuming the job offer is static, and only one way. Josh may have demands, and if he doesn't get what he wants, it's not worth it. Like in Jacksonville, maybe one of the conditions was you keep Bortles. We don't know. But to assume the offer is only one way is a very limited world view.

As for your list, and I think it missed the mark. For example, how did Detroit end up on the NO list? They have a QB in Stafford, just went to the playoffs, a former Patriot at GM, a pretty patient hands-off owner, like...what the heck? I'm not going through it all, I just think you're focusing on the things that don't matter to Josh, and missing the things that do.

Josh has also been there, done that so he's not desperate like you keep claiming. Next year, there will be 6 or 7 new options, same with the year after that...there aren't a lot of jobs in the world, but roughly 20% of them are available every year.

Maybe we just have different world views on employment in general. But I think if you were Josh, you would not walk your talk, and you would think about it much differently instead of bending over for any offer you can get.
Ok so you totally misunderstand everything I said. No point in responding.

It's his career but I think McDaniels would be dumb to take that offer. York is a ridiculously bad owner and has zero patience. They do have a very high first round pick, though, and may make an offer for Garoppolo. But he'd have his work cut out for him there and may not have an ownership situation in place with the patience to let it happen.

It's his career but I think McDaniels would be dumb to take that offer. York is a ridiculously bad owner and has zero patience. They do have a very high first round pick, though, and may make an offer for Garoppolo. But he'd have his work cut out for him there and may not have an ownership situation in place with the patience to let it happen.
I'm not so sure the patience isn't there. He would be the 4th HC in 4 years taking over the worst team in the league (Cleveland at least has young guys who will improve) and York has publicly admitted it's a long term project at this point.
Guys who succeed at that level believe that it's their ability, system and vision that matters. No coach ever takes over a bad team and wins with the same roster so roster isn't really that big a deal.
My point here is that the mentality and personality of a top HC is that he can walk into any situation and fix it not that he has to be selective and pass on offers until he gets the perfect one, which may never come.

I'm not so sure the patience isn't there. He would be the 4th HC in 4 years taking over the worst team in the league (Cleveland at least has young guys who will improve) and York has publicly admitted it's a long term project at this point.
Guys who succeed at that level believe that it's their ability, system and vision that matters. No coach ever takes over a bad team and wins with the same roster so roster isn't really that big a deal.
My point here is that the mentality and personality of a top HC is that he can walk into any situation and fix it not that he has to be selective and pass on offers until he gets the perfect one, which may never come.

Wouldn't the 4 HCs in 4 years be a bad sign? I bet people were saying this last year and Chip still got fired after 1 year.

I don't think there ever will be a "perfect" offer. But the 49ers are a very bad offer. Their problem stems from the top. There are better offers that he could get, maybe as early as next year, with more competent ownership. York is a boob and his most recent presser highlights that fact. In the end, it's Josh's career but this may be his last shot at a head coaching title and the odds are most definitely stacked against him in San Fran from day one. In the end, it doesn't take a "perfect offer" to beat out San Fran.

Wouldn't the 4 HCs in 4 years be a bad sign? I bet people were saying this last year and Chip still got fired after 1 year.
I think it pushed pressure on them to be patient.
Tomsula was just a terrible hire. He had to go because he was clearly over his head. Problem is baalke, who forced harbaugh out because he felt he deserved the credit because it was his roster and harbaugh just did an average job with it. Once he selected kelly and the team still blew even worse it became apparent that they should have kept harbaugh and fired baalke so kelly went out with his GM so they could start fresh.
It's a total reboot and very different from the mud they have been stuck in for 3 years.

I don't think there ever will be a "perfect" offer. But the 49ers are a very bad offer. Their problem stems from the top. There are better offers that he could get, maybe as early as next year, with more competent ownership. York is a boob and his most recent presser highlights that fact. In the end, it's Josh's career but this may be his last shot at a head coaching title and the odds are most definitely stacked against him in San Fran from day one. In the end, it doesn't take a "perfect offer" to beat out San Fran.
Most owners are boobs but York doesn't meddle. He left it to baalke to run. Baalke crapped the bed.
Mostly though I'm not touting the sf job as much as I'm saying it's hard to get a HC job and every year there are new competitors for those jobs. If you start passing in jobs you may never get another offer.

Look at it this way. People on this board are talking like if all 32 jobs came open tomorrow McDaniels could pick whichever one he wanted and the reality is only a few would consider him a leading candidate.

The bills just hired a mediocre DC and McDaniels wasn't even in their list.

They knew he wouldnt stay in the division.

We have a really real chance of losing both Matt and Josh to Cali teams

Most owners are boobs but York doesn't meddle. He left it to baalke to run. Baalke crapped the bed.
Mostly though I'm not touting the sf job as much as I'm saying it's hard to get a HC job and every year there are new competitors for those jobs. If you start passing in jobs you may never get another offer.

Look at it this way. People on this board are talking like if all 32 jobs came open tomorrow McDaniels could pick whichever one he wanted and the reality is only a few would consider him a leading candidate.

The bills just hired a mediocre DC and McDaniels wasn't even in their list.

As long as Josh is here and the offense is clicking, there will always be interest in him as a head coach. And while York doesn't necessarily "meddle" in the affairs of the head coaches, he's shown absolutely no patience in letting a program develop coupled with the fact that he flat out stated that he didn't think he was a problem. There's also no evidence whatsoever that he's developed that patience. If Josh waits for next year, just to toss out an example off the top of my head, the Bears job may open up where ownership is superior to the dog and pony show they have out in San Fran.

As long as Josh is here and the offense is clicking, there will always be interest in him as a head coach. And while York doesn't necessarily "meddle" in the affairs of the head coaches, he's shown absolutely no patience in letting a program develop coupled with the fact that he flat out stated that he didn't think he was a problem. There's also no evidence whatsoever that he's developed that patience. If Josh waits for next year, just to toss out an example off the top of my head, the Bears job may open up where ownership is superior to the dog and pony show they have out in San Fran.
Sf was very patient with singletary. Didn't have to be with harbaugh.
The only evidence of impatience is admitting tomsula was a terrible hire which I would call decisive rather than impatient, and then firing the GM that screwed the whole thing up by forcing out harbaugh after it was obvious he screwed up the team. Kelly was collateral damage.
I don't know that there is any owner in the NFL that would take blame. Plus he publicly admitted that they are at the stage of needing patience.

We disagree on how easy it would be for josh to get hired or that Chicago would be better. He would not be the only candidate in Chicago and he was beaten out for other jobs this year.

At this point we are just rehashing what we disagree on so you can have the final word.

Well as a Patriot fan I want him to stay on.
In the end he will most likely take the job and then hes just another part of the other 31.

Too bad the NFL doesn't let you loan players to another team like soccer does. Would be great to sign jimmy for 6 years and loan him to some basement dweller until Brady retires

Ugh. What if he went and traded for Brady? Every so often on here it is suggested that Brady finishes his career in SF given that it was his team growing up.

As a fan, I'd like to see him finish up with the whole legend/legacy/dynasty storyline that hasn't finished playing out in New England. Even if Brady plays four more years, Josh is still only in his mid-forties.

Second pick in the draft Hyde and a tackle is the starting point for talks

With some guarantees in place I can see that as an interesting offer.

San Francisco is a nice city to leave I can tell you that, California is well, California and although the ownership is toxic there, SF is a big market and the 49ers have the DNA of a winning franchise, that's important, F Tennessee, Jaguars, etc...those are dead man walking franchises. The 49ers have a fanbase waiting for this team to deserve their money on tickets again. Screw the bandwagon thing, everybody has the right to be on/off the bandwagon these days, there's a lot of things to do on a daily base it's not like we are in the 80's or 90's in terms of nothing to do on Sundays only barbecue and football.

The problem there is really the lack of talent on the team, they are in worse shape than the Browns for example so it's gonna be a long and exhausting rebuilding. It's not like he's is going to a loser franchise with some players in place like the Jaguars.

Every one of those jobs either fit the category of the kind of job he is supposed to turn down or a team that didn't want him.
The idea that as soon as a good job comes open it's his is naive.

You misread my post Andy. I didn't say "as soon as a good job comes open it's his". I said as his stock raises those jobs will be offered to him. If he's patient he could land a premium job. He doesn't have to take the worst job possible because it "came open".

"Every one of those jobs" come open every year. He's young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back