PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McDaniels learned from the best, and he is right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: McDaniel learned from the best, and he is right

Didn't Cutler jam his thumb in the 1st quarter of that game - affecting his throwing ability. I think his poor performance can be partially blamed for that...not that he is Peyton Manning (AFCCG 2006 when he played out the game completed disgusting wobbly passes to make that gut-wretching comeback).
I don't know if Jay Cutler had much to do with the Pats putting up 40 as much as a league-terrible Denver secondary.

The thumb was working just fine intermittently...it reminded me of how Warner's thumb tended to become a bigger issue when he was having a really bad day irregardless... Ben's another guy whose injuries tend to magnify in relation to his overall play on a given day. Ditto McNabb...

Denver needed one win down the stretch in '08 and Cutler's QB rating in all 3 of those games was 13 points below his career average 87. So at best was he was no help. I really think it's comical how Denver fans were wishfully perceiving him. They'd done a lot better with Plummer on a short leash... I really think falling in love with this putz was Shanny's downfall. With a JAG QB and a superior defense he remained competitive. Once it all started revolving around Jay the running game and that D went to hell and yards aside he struggled to put actual points on the board and turned the ball over more times than his once proud defense could cope with...

I hope Josh doesn't pay attention to all the idiot guru's who now insist he has to package those two firsts to get a QB even Pete had reservations about. Fix the D and make believe you got a developing QB on offense you need to protect by playing mistake free conservative offense as you proceed with carefully installing your system. Deal with upgrading that position further next season... Who knows, maybe by then one of Cassel or Quinn shakes loose again. And if not you again have 2 firsts with which to go after a QB if you must... Remember your roots and that where you came from the best QB's to fit the system emerged from the opposite end of the draft.

This guy hasn't earned the right to be mentioned in the same sentence as Dan Marino. It's a lot more likely that he'll end up like McNabb; a very good QB who, in the end, didn't get the job done...but, come to think of it, Cutler has a long way to go before I'd compare him to Donovan either.

well, he certainly will be redefined. he wont throw for 4500 yards in chicago with that system and in that weather. so his days of putting up big numbers while losing are over, the question now is whether he is capable of making plays to win instead of having nice numbers while losing.
Personally, I think the team he left is better than the team he went to and his shortcomings are going to get exposed. not that he will be horrendous, but I think he will be very mediocre.

I agree. The way McDaniels is handling the Cutler thing is not much different than Belichick handled Terry Glenn, Deion Branch, Ty Law, Lawyer Milloy, etc. People criticized Belichick's handling of most of these situations. For the most part, Belichick ended up proving his critics wrong.

And Josh follows in BB's footsteps by always looking at least 1 draft ahead. He's set himself up with 2 #1's this year and next (theirs, plus the Bears') and you just know he'll turn at least 1 of those each year into a couple of later round picks.

Very Belichick of him.

And Josh follows in BB's footsteps by always looking at least 1 draft ahead. He's set himself up with 2 #1's this year and next (theirs, plus the Bears') and you just know he'll turn at least 1 of those each year into a couple of later round picks.

Very Belichick of him.

4 1st round picks in 2 years is a great platform to re-build from.

I have to say I have more respect for Pat Bowlen than I did before the Cutler saga. He was a Cutler supporter, but once Cutler's antics got out of control to a certain extent he decided enough was enough and traded the malcontent within 48 hours, for a king's ransom. Very decisive and effective action. From all reports, McDaniels was willing to lie low and hope the situation with Cutler would blow over, but it was Bowlen who got fed up when things publicly went beyond a certain point.

will

Great post.

The only thing that can probably added is that the owner probably feels the same way.

It's interesting how the instillation of "team first" baffles large segments of the pigskin punditry.

The thumb was working just fine intermittently...it reminded me of how Warner's thumb tended to become a bigger issue when he was having a really bad day irregardless... Ben's another guy whose injuries tend to magnify in relation to his overall play on a given day. Ditto McNabb...

Denver needed one win down the stretch in '08 and Cutler's QB rating in all 3 of those games was 13 points below his career average 87. So at best was he was no help. I really think it's comical how Denver fans were wishfully perceiving him. They'd done a lot better with Plummer on a short leash... I really think falling in love with this putz was Shanny's downfall. With a JAG QB and a superior defense he remained competitive. Once it all started revolving around Jay the running game and that D went to hell and yards aside he struggled to put actual points on the board and turned the ball over more times than his once proud defense could cope with...

I hope Josh doesn't pay attention to all the idiot guru's who now insist he has to package those two firsts to get a QB even Pete had reservations about. Fix the D and make believe you got a developing QB on offense you need to protect by playing mistake free conservative offense as you proceed with carefully installing your system. Deal with upgrading that position further next season... Who knows, maybe by then one of Cassel or Quinn shakes loose again. And if not you again have 2 firsts with which to go after a QB if you must... Remember your roots and that where you came from the best QB's to fit the system emerged from the opposite end of the draft.[/quote]

Good analysis and advice.
We'll know that Josh was really too immature for the HC position if he trades his 1st rounds for a pile of late 6th round draft picks though. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST