PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

McCourty to stay with Patriots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id love to have been listening to that phone call between Devon and Bill. Makes me wonder was Bill just leveraging Mccourtys loyalty, then caved on the price once he realized he was going to sign elsewhere? Bill dosnt strike me as the kind of guy to change his mind over a phone call or make an emotional decision last minute. Bill probably said OK Mccourty is probably the type of guy to give me a best and final, if we are within X amount of dollars we will make it happen.
I think the fact he called Bill personally instead of his agent was a huge thing and that probably set the alarms off in coach's head that McCourty wanted to stay.

awesome to hear.

It should shut up two groups of people

1.)the folks who think the krafts and BB are cheap and don't pay elite players

and

2.)the folks who think mccourty is overrated. 6 teams were willing to give DMac record setting guarenteed safety money. that doesn't happen when your considered "overrated" Dmac is Elite in todays nfl.

Damn, I thought he was gone. Great news, pending the money. Hope we'll be able to keep Collins/Jones/Hightower in 2 years while paying Revis and McCourty, but that's two-years-from-now's problem.
Collins should be locked up ASAP, in 2 years i guarantee you he's seen as the best LB in the league. His rise is just phenomenal and i don't even know where his peak will be. Expect to see plays like the one Lynch had on him at the end of the SB to be eradicated because he's a smart dude too and learns very quickly.

That is so classy from DMac. Most of the whores during FA don't give their current team a second look, as soon as they see the $$ signs in their eyes they bolt town without even a goodbye. Makes me respect him even more.

I don't that McCourty was being particularly classy. He wanted to stay and gave the team an opportunity to make a deal. If he wanted to go, then he wouldn't have accepted the patriot deal.

awesome news I hear almost 10 million per he is well worth the money GO PATS

Now it's Ghost's turn to get to the table and (1) lower that $4.5M cap hit, and (2) move the Pats closer to the spending cap floor.

Consummate professional? Check.
Team Leader? Check.
Highly productive on the field? Check.
Durable? Check.
In the prime years of his career? Check.

I can't exactly fathom why anyone wouldn't be elated with this deal. Dollars and cents aren't the deal breaker either especially since McCourty could have gotten another team to pony up even more than New England. When you have a player this good, and this young you lock them up. McCourty and Gronkowski are the only remaining players on the team from the 2010 draft class, and both of them are under contract until 2019 - that should show you how much the Patriots clearly value him.

He's borderline irreplaceable, and the floated replacement options lack the one thing that separates McCourty from pretty much all other safeties in the NFL and that is his on the field intelligence. It shocks me how many people unappreciate what McCourty allows this defense to do week-in and week-out.

I don't that McCourty was being particularly classy. He wanted to stay and gave the team an opportunity to make a deal. If he wanted to go, then he wouldn't have accepted the patriot deal.
So it's not classy to call your coach and let him know your plans instead of getting your agent to do the deed? Whatever, i must have a different version of classy defined by my brain.

Even if DMac had left because we didn't offer him the deal it would have still been classy as hell!

A top-notch FS of course makes everyone better but in particular this is tremendous news for Brandon Browner, who I think would become a liability without a true sideline-to-sideline centerfielder behind him.

Wow. DMC had no business being where he was on that Ravens INT. Covered tons of ground, read the QB, used his instincts... great play! Thanks for this post.

The article doesn't point out, which Belichick does in Belichick breakdowns on patriots.com, that Flacco completed a pass on a similar play before and McCourty was able to recognize it this time and jump the route. Belichick points out that's why you don't always run the same play again if it's successful.

The GIF doesn't even show McCourty breaking for the ball before Flacco even gets into throwing motion. If you still have the TV footage, watch when they show the replay, you'll see. :)

As for the contract. Got to wait for details but it would appear we overpayed but not by market standards I suppose. Demand was high, supply was low.

Damn, I thought he was gone. Great news, pending the money. Hope we'll be able to keep Collins/Jones/Hightower in 2 years while paying Revis and McCourty, but that's two-years-from-now's problem.

Or Bill pulls a Gronk/hernandez like early extension with Collins and Hightower gives them good size but team friendly deals.

Look at Gronk's hits the next 3 years, $8.6, $6.6, and $7m. Not to mention a $5.4m cap hit this past year If he stays healthy and doesn't let Rosenhaus talk him into a holdout Belichick was brilliant with that deal.

eh hernandez not so much but hey don't think anyone saw that coming when the deal was made.

Pats could easily draft a receiver/get a vet and let Amendola go if they wanted to save even more money couldn't they? Not sure i would want it because he showed more clutch in a single game than Welker ever did. Still think DA has so much to prove here.

Tuesday evening will be the worst when a bunch of teams ink their marquee signings and the Pats stay quiet.

Hopefully, the patriots will announce more re-signings of their own free agents, and perhaps a restructure or extension of Browner.

Anyone else think Bill is just a total boss making every decision, from play calls to personell groupings, all the way down to the cell phone call of the player who's looking to get a best and final offer? Boss.

Just had a look at our cap breakdown again and boy are we ripping off Gronk big time or what! He should be paid Megatron money if you go by his production. Can't believe Jimmy Graham gets more.

I'm glad that D Mac is coming back. He is very solid at safety. Now resign Revis and we are set to go out and get another ring. I cannot wait to see what magic BB will pull when the draft comes.

Collins should be locked up ASAP, in 2 years i guarantee you he's seen as the best LB in the league. His rise is just phenomenal and i don't even know where his peak will be. Expect to see plays like the one Lynch had on him at the end of the SB to be eradicated because he's a smart dude too and learns very quickly.

Per Miguel--Jamie Collins cannot be extended this year via rules from the CBA.

For crying out loud, he's less than 2 full years into his rookie deal. We have other much more pressing issues coming up with Solder, along with decisions on the 5th year options in the future for Chandler Jones and Hightower--and that's not even bringing this current year into the equation with many important players such as Revis, etc.

The crazy thing about all of this is that we're all going nuts over the re-signing of the first real star of the core young group BB has drafted and developed defensively. Excluding the real jewel in the crown at corner, the best players on that defense are still on their rookie deals. Assuming 24 comes back the defense is only going to get better and better moving forward.

Is it wrong that in the AFCCG I was more excited about what the D would do to the Colts than what Brady & Co. would do?

Or Bill pulls a Gronk/hernandez like early extension with Collins and Hightower gives them good size but team friendly deals.

Look at Gronk's hits the next 3 years, $8.6, $6.6, and $7m. Not to mention a $5.4m cap hit this past year If he stays healthy and doesn't let Rosenhaus talk him into a holdout Belichick was brilliant with that deal.

eh hernandez not so much but hey don't think anyone saw that coming when the deal was made.

Definitely what I'm hoping for, especially in Jones' case since his value might be at a relative low after two significant injuries in three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back