PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Snap Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opposing offenses forced to play catch up through the air....Patriots replace a LB with an additional secondary piece. Mayo is #3 on LB depth chart/least versatile of Top 3 LBs/obvious bench candidate ...................................this coaching thing is so easy :)

Opposing offenses forced to play catch up through the air....Patriots replace a LB with an additional secondary piece. Mayo is #3 on LB depth chart/least versatile of Top 3 LBs/obvious bench candidate ...................................this coaching thing is so easy :)

Why the ridicule. But let's deal with what you said. The Mayo situation has nothing to do with injuries. The patriots have chose to pay $7M or so for a backup LB that plays only in the base. Last year, a UDFA (back and forth from the practice Squad) played that role. And the consensus here seems to be that Mayo will not be back in 2016.

Should folks really NOT question why we are paying so much for a LB who only plays against the run?

Personally, I believe that Mayo is being brought back slowly, and will be a valuable asset when the snow flies.

Ok but let's answer this question:

Of the three LBs does everyone believe that mayo is at the bottom even if 100% healthy?

Honestly yes. And when Jarod Mayo is your third LB, that tells me this team has a great LB core...

I expect his snap count to go up with Hightower shoulder limiting him in practice

Personally, I believe that Mayo is being brought back slowly, and will be a valuable asset when the snow flies.

Yes, I think you hit the nail right on the head. Mayo hasn't played significant reps in quite awhile, so it makes perfect sense to see something like the 2014 early season Gronk situation, where he's brought around slowly to acclimate his body to the wear and tear of the game.

As you note--his time will come. In the meantime, I'm not going to concern myself with the 2016 cap situation just yet, but I can understand why Mayo/Amendola would both be prime candidates for discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST