PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Mayo's Snap Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsull87

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Please don't take this as an over reaction. With mayo only playing a hadn full of snaps the first 2 games i thought i'd gauge the feeling around here.

Dou you think it's him being brought on slowly? Being the 3rd LB in a defense that usually only has 2 on the field? An indicator of his future with the team or all of the above.

I think it's a combination of all of the above personally. I think he is about 12 months from the opperation and it would be amazing if he was at 100%. I also think he's a victim of us playing in the big nickle.

But it is also possible that sheerly Collins and Hightower are of greater importance to the team now. It's a good problem to have. But just interesting to see how this develops.

Unless this lingers a game or two after the bye, I will not believe it is anything more than the team just bringing him back slowly. It's been a long while since he's played football and he didn't play much during the preseason. His snaps should increase as time go along . . . think Gronk last season. Will he be as effective? Only time will tell.

I think NE really likes the 4-2-5, in which case, it will be High and Collins in the middle, unless they decide to kick High down on the line with his hand in the dirt. I'm sure we'll see some more 3-3-5 as well. This is a versatile front seven and I believe BB will find ways three in the games, on early downs at the very least. It's a passing league now and the Pats (and most teams) spend a lot of time in sub packages/nickel/dime. This means they will have to find ways to get all of their most talented guys on the field. As you alluded to in your post - it's a good problem to have for sure.

He suffered his injury in week 6 so it's actually 11 months and he is already on the field so I think they are going easy with him, which is the right thing to do. I'm looking forward to what Mayo can really give us after week 8 or 9.

Yes, he is being brought slowly, but I expect him to be off the field more often than not even when playing healthy. Basically, the nickel defense is more used nowadays, and HT e Collins are better players, IMO. Mayo's terrific 3rd LB and our base defense is great thanks to that

Paying this guy ALOT OF MONEY. I was surprised he wasn't asked to take the pay cut before the season started.

But it is also possible that sheerly Collins and Hightower are of greater importance to the team now. It's a good problem to have. But just interesting to see how this develops.

Outside of Brady, no one Patriot player is "more important" than any other. Just ask Malcolm Butler at this time last year.

......and don't call me "Sheerly". :D

His injury is a tough one to rehab and come back from so I'm not surprised that his snap count is low to start the season.

Ok but let's answer this question:

Of the three LBs does everyone believe that mayo is at the bottom even if 100% healthy?

realistically hes a 30+ MLB coming off two IR ending seasons. During that time we have seen an emergence from Jamie Collins(Grade A superstar) and Dont'a hightower who has grown into his own player after a shaky rookie season. The team has excelled with mayo out of the lineup, and so the team has a bit of leeway to ease him back into it slowly.

Mayo probably isn't with the team next year because of his cap hit, and how well the younger players are playing. just a couple of really unforunate years for Mayo which might have shortened his career with the patriots.

realistically hes a 30+ MLB coming off two IR ending seasons. During that time we have seen an emergence from Jamie Collins(Grade A superstar) and Dont'a hightower who has grown into his own player after a shaky rookie season. The team has excelled with mayo out of the lineup, and so the team has a bit of leeway to ease him back into it slowly.

Mayo probably isn't with the team next year because of his cap hit, and how well the younger players are playing. just a couple of really unforunate years for Mayo which might have shortened his career with the patriots.

I agree that Mayo will not be playing with the Patriots next year on his current contract. However, my feeling is that Mayo is not on the 2016 team only if Belichick thinks he's done. From all appearances Mayo loves it here and has a lot of Bruschi and Troy Brown in him. My guess is he'll do whatever it takes contract wise to be on the team in 2016.

Not concerned. Takes time. Besides nickel is the new base and Collins and Hi are better players.

Exacltly makes him a Great back-up for this year but not at that number next year. The guys ahead of him have so much more to offer hard to believe he's going to be 30 next year.

Last edited:
I agree that Mayo will not be playing with the Patriots next year on his current contract. However, my feeling is that Mayo is not on the 2016 team only if Belichick thinks he's done. From all appearances Mayo loves it here and has a lot of Bruschi and Troy Brown in him. My guess is he'll do whatever it takes contract wise to be on the team in 2016.

I think Mayo is still a High level Talent, and will get 6+ million from another team, I don't see the patriots keeping him for more then 3

Good piece by Curran. I agree w/the general consensus here that there's a few things at play driving his lower snap count. And as others have said, for now not a bad problem to have.

The open question is whether Patricia wants to play Hightower or a healthy Mayo in the nickel. We play 2.3 LB on average. Mayo is a very, very expensive "base" LB. Belichick had UDFA's coming in for some of last year, with little damage.

This is a good problem to have for 2015. Obviously, the crunch will come in the off-season for both players (and Chandler Jones).

Paying this guy ALOT OF MONEY. I was surprised he wasn't asked to take the pay cut before the season started.

He already restructured his contract, which created a big roster bonus option on him next year that they won't exercise and will end up getting a 3rd round compensatory pick for in 2017

He's amazing depth and puzzle piece to have this year, even at his salary.. if hightower goes down, there will be almost no drop off to Mayo. Our linebacking group is orgasmic

Mayo will play a bunch this week. No need to play a bunch of sub packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes