PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maturation of Julian Edelman

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the other hand, one could argue that those of us who believed in Edelman's abilities based upon limited observation are more prescient and more capable of making an accurate assessment of his skill level than those who underrated him. Not looking to engage in apissing contest, just pointing out that there's another legitimate possible point of view in addition to yours.

When did I ever say my point of view negated anyone elses?

If my pov was assessing his play to date, and yours was assessing potential, then of course they would be different.

Lets not try to revise history and say I never said he could develop.

If I had said he would never develop then I would be eating crow.
Thats not what I said. My comments were based on how he played up to the time I made the comments. I stand by them, and I am very happy that he has developed.

You never gave the kid a shot at developing. It was never, maybe he'll develop, it was 'all he can run is a 5 yard slant'.

What he has needed is an opportunity and a healthy season. He happens to be getting both at the right time.

Welker a great player = yes
Welker has great hands = not so much

Edelman has been clutch all season; look at his splits coming into today’s game, he steps up big when it matters:

First half – 26 receptions, 187 receiving yards, 7.2 average and 2 touchdowns
Second half – 34 receptions, 406 receiving yards, 11.9 average and 2 touchdowns

Right its taken a while but I've liked your above post. Its the first quality post I think you have made on this site. Especially the Welker bit.

Though in Jerry Rice's defense, on a per-pass-play basis, his reception totals are much more impressive. Teams didn't throw nearly as much 30 years ago.

Well, in Jerry Rice's defense he was doing 1500 yards and 15 TDs per year, averaging 15+ yards per catch (18+ in the 1980s).

He's in a completely different world from the Welkers and Edelmans and other scrappy slot receivers. He was a game breaker.

He didn't evolve people, he simply got a chance, now that Welker is gone we finally had no choice but to give the guy a chance and he does as he always has: produces.

Edelman haters of the past can eat crow.

I never thought Edelman would be closing in on the 100 reception/season mark, but I have always been impressed with his quick transition to becoming a WR for the Patriots-something that not everyone has been able to do: Ochocinco & Joey Galloway among others. I've always been impressed with his effort and all-out style of play which may have contributed to his injuries over the past couple of years, but are definitely laudable. Edelman's emergence as a top WR has been fun to watch and came just in time for the team.

Well, in Jerry Rice's defense he was doing 1500 yards and 15 TDs per year, averaging 15+ yards per catch (18+ in the 1980s).

He's in a completely different world from the Welkers and Edelmans and other scrappy slot receivers. He was a game breaker.

Even some Patriots receivers like Stanley Morgan had eye-popping yards per catch back then. I believe Stanley was 20 yards per catch a couple seasons.

EDIT: He did it each of his first 6 seasons in the NFL, and in 1986, he put up this stat:

84 receptions, 1491 yards, 17.8 yards per catch, 10 Tds.

I don't know who is the second best receiver in Patriots history (Welker, Troy Brown, Moss, Fryar, Glenn, Vataha, Deion Branch, Cappelletti, etc.) but Stanley Morgan has to be #1.

Thought the thread title was "Masturbation of Julian Edelman"

Pretty disappointed, tbh.

You never gave the kid a shot at developing. It was never, maybe he'll develop, it was 'all he can run is a 5 yard slant'.

That is not correct.
My comments were always about his play. The ones you reference were about the Jets game when people overated his 13 catch game.
You will not find comments from me saying he could never develop, just comments based on what he had done on the field.

What he has needed is an opportunity and a healthy season. He happens to be getting both at the right time.
And an enormous amount of improvement, which he also has realized.

The price tag keeps going up.

Hope they keep him, don't know if they will go high enough.

AndyJohnson said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackson 2

On the other hand, one could argue that those of us who believed in Edelman's abilities based upon limited observation are more prescient and more capable of making an accurate assessment of his skill level than those who underrated him. Not looking to engage in apissing contest, just pointing out that there's another legitimate possible point of view in addition to yours.

When did I ever say my point of view negated anyone elses?

If my pov was assessing his play to date, and yours was assessing potential, then of course they would be different.

Lets not try to revise history and say I never said he could develop.

Don't make me link up the Edelman vs Welker thread from last year. We were all forecasting, not talking about the past. You said Edelman could never produce, not even 80 catches or so as I suggested.

Being wrong about one guy does not make you any less of an expert. Have you ever, in your life, said "I was wrong"? Crow has been served, you must eat it before you can join the Minitron bandwagon.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

Tis true Andy, you threw dirt all over the man and he is now our best receiver.

I never doubted him, I always felt he was more versatile, and in the open field I thought he was tougher to get to, more agile. Easy for me to say now right lol. But going back to the jets game last year when he score what two or three TD,s, one on offense, one KR and one fumble recovery and a TD during a punt?

Don't make me link up the Edelman vs Welker thread from last year. We were all forecasting, not talking about the past. You said Edelman could never produce, not even 80 catches or so as I suggested.

Being wrong about one guy does not make you any less of an expert. Have you ever, in your life, said "I was wrong"? Crow has been served, you must eat it before you can join the Minitron bandwagon.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

You can remember whatever you chose.
Doubting a player being able to fill a role based upon what he did on the field in front of your eyes, is not saying he could never produce. Its saying he has not shown that he can. Until this year that was the case.

Tis true Andy, you threw dirt all over the man and he is now our best receiver.

Not expecting a remarkable breakout exceeding anything he had ever done before is hardly throwing dirt on him.

I hated on Edelman as a pure wr far too much to hop on his bandwagon now lol. But in my defense, he was always hurt and had crappy hands. For three years I hadn't seen him make a clean over the shoulder catch.

The price tag keeps going up.

Hope they keep him, don't know if they will go high enough.

He won't command the welker or amendola money IMO. I am pretty sure we can retain him at a decent price. He has special teams value also.

He won't command the welker or amendola money IMO. I am pretty sure we can retain him at a decent price. He had special teams value also.

Yeah I think he'll take a friendly deal that's good for both sides.

Yeah I think he'll take a friendly deal that's good for both sides.

He won't get a 6million dollars a year contract. No way. If amendola and welker could only get that, that is maybe edelmans ceiling. But I bet he gets a nice pay day from us, not only is he a great wr, but the best punt returner. You get 2 in 1 IMO.

He won't get a 6million dollars a year contract. No way. If amendola and welker could only get that, that is maybe edelmans ceiling. But I bet he gets a nice pay day from us, not only is he a great wr, but the best punt returner. You get 2 in 1 IMO.

Personally, I'd be kind of surprised if he gets anything more than 50% of this 6 million dollar AAV projection. I see him in line with the kind of deal that Emmanuel Sanders was offered from Belichick, maybe not in number of yrs, but in salary. I'm thinking the cap is at 3 million or so AAV.

Edelman has improved--no doubt about that, but there are still plenty of things that he needs to improve upon. Edelman himself recently spoke of his blown assignments/routes this year, along with some of his struggles in the blocking game (which Amendola has excelled in), and how he's always trying to improve upon that.

One thing that I can assume Belichick really appreciates is the fact that Edelman has progressed year to year. He got an apartment out in San Mateo near where Brady was spending a portion of his off-season, so that they could improve upon their chemistry together. He has made a very nice transition from a QB in college to a basic slot backup in the NFL, to an actual wide receiver running better routes as an outsider WR. That's a pretty nice group of steps showing hard work.

Sometimes I just wish they'd lock them up a bit earlier though, as we could all kind of see that Edelman's price tag was rising 2 months ago. I think Belichick needs to see an overall season long assessment first though, before offering any numbers. Just a thought.

Let's just hope that no one steps in and throws around the kind of money they gave David Givens, with a deal that we just can't think of matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes