PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light and the OL in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
However his being abused today had nothing to do with technique (the standard by which we would call him lousy). It had to do with the fact that Barnes was lining up way on his outside shoulder as a 9 tech and with his speed it would have taken a top-notch LT with amazing lateral speed and some pretty sick bucket stepping to cut him off.
Okay, then why isn't Barnes a top-notch player? Why did he not even make the Ravens roster earlier this year? I don't think it takes an all-world LT to stop this scrub... Light just needs to stop playing like sh*t or we need a new tackle.

Do people really think the same veteran offensive line that has been playing well together all year suddenly just forgets how to block in certain games?

There has to be at least an equal factor of not recognizing, reacting to, or taking advantage of what the defense is doing.

He Wouldn't have made a difference today, Moss wouldn't have either.

I disagree on both counts. We'll never know for sure, though.

Okay, then why isn't Barnes a top-notch player? Why did he not even make the Ravens roster earlier this year? I don't think it takes an all-world LT to stop this scrub... Light just needs to stop playing like sh*t or we need a new tackle.

He is an one dimensional player whose game is speed, and that works for the Chargers.

He Wouldn't have made a difference today, Moss wouldn't have either.

Mankins would have definitely made a difference today. Not all that sure about Moss.

I didn't catch that. Though, I did miss a good portion of the 4th quarter thanks to the idiots at CBS11 here in Dallas.

I know. I live in arlington, and the idiots at cbs11 kept interrupting the game to give me tornado warnings. I looked outside, and it was freaking sunny.

I certainly believe than Mankins would haved helped the left side to improved blocking in the first half/

I certainly believe than Mankins would haved helped the left side to improved blocking in the first half/

I'd like to think so, but historically speaking, he probably wouldnt have. When going up against great d-lines, they simple cant hold their own. Mankins is a really good run blocker, but an average pass blocker. I think the pressure on Brady wouldve been there even with Mankins.

Where do you get that they benched Connolly? Connolly was out there on the last series of downs for the Pats. Including moving to FB as the lead blocker on the 4th and 3..

I'm sorry but I was questioning why Connoly was NOT playing in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters. The first time I saw him play was as a FB. It was why I questioned if Matt Light was shading toward the inside to help the Fresno State C/G play LG, and then getting beat himself to the outside.

All the damn critics pontificating about Light ought to pay a little more attention. Light WAS getting beat to the outside. The question was, Why?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Patspsycho
However his being abused today had nothing to do with technique (the standard by which we would call him lousy). It had to do with the fact that Barnes was lining up way on his outside shoulder as a 9 tech and with his speed it would have taken a top-notch LT with amazing lateral speed and some pretty sick bucket stepping to cut him off.

It really isn't that difficult....I have played LT long enough and I used to love it when they would line up wide in a "stabber" position....The problem was that Light wasn't kicking back enough and letting Barnes work half a shoulder which is bad news for any O-lineman if you aren't squared up with the defender.....It seemed like light was expecting Barnes to rush up the field and then cut back underneath to the QB so Light was kind of "slow playing" the rusher......I always liked to kick back a couple of steps and then attack the rusher to mix it up so he would be surprised and you can throw him off.....It just seemed like Light did the same thing every play.....And if you decide to let him rush up field so you can push him by the Qb, You can't let the defender spin back towards the Qb...You have to ride him all the way past....

Any chance they would switch light and vollmer. I mean the pass rush on the right is a little lighter load and yes Vollmer still needs to get better but throwing him in at left is a great start. Didnt he hold Freeny better than Matt light when we played last year. And Mankins Being back would help. Hes a dork and he will be gone next year but i think this could work to a better advantage. Maybe Hernandez could get deeper and brady have more time

patriots - Ten Things We Learned Sunday: Different year, different players, different mentality - WEEI | Christopher Price
LOGAN MANKINS’ BARGAINING POWER INCREASED ON SUNDAY

Facing the league’s highest-rated pass defense on Sunday — and with some of the most impressive pass-protection numbers (eight sacks allowed in five games) in the league — the Patriots’ offensive line had its worst day of the season, yielding four sacks against the Chargers.

San Diego got after Brady three times in the first half, hauling him down on back-to-back plays with New England threatening in the red zone when Shaun Phillips and Antwan Barnes doing the damage. On a back-to-back sequence in the first half, Phillips got to him first for a five-yard sack, then on the next play, Barnes picked up an 11-yard sack, pushing the Patriots out of the red zone and forcing them to settle for a 40-yard field goal from Stephen Gostkowski.

Barnes got him (and beat left tackle Matt Light for the second time in the half) for an eight-yarder before the end of the half. (For good measure, Light had illegal-use-of-hands penalty tacked on to the play.) Former Boston College product Antonio Garay had a seven-yard sack in the third quarter to finish things off for the San Diego pass rush.

“We never deviated from the game plan, and we were able to go out there and execute,” Phillips told reporters after the game. “We cause some disruption, but [Brady is] a talented player and they still got the win. That's all that matters.”

Much of the pressure appeared to come from the left side at the expense of Light and left guard Dan Connolly, who was replaced relatively early on by backup interior lineman Ryan Wendell. Connolly has performed well in place of Mankins over the first six games of the season, but with the deadline for Mankins to report starting to loom larger and this game fresh in the minds of many, expect lots of talk this week about the possibility of Mankins stepping back into the lineup sooner rather than later.

I see that you a new poster. Welcome!

The answer is that Light is not capable of playing RT. We have discussed this literally hundreds of times. It is just possible that Light could play LG next year, but not RG or RT.

Any chance they would switch light and vollmer. I mean the pass rush on the right is a little lighter load and yes Vollmer still needs to get better but throwing him in at left is a great start. Didnt he hold Freeny better than Matt light when we played last year. And Mankins Being back would help. Hes a dork and he will be gone next year but i think this could work to a better advantage. Maybe Hernandez could get deeper and brady have more time

Last edited:
Let's not forget that Light was also at fault late in the Jets game when Taylor got to Brady. At some point, Vollmer has to take over in that position.

What big hole?

It was not a cut outside, it was a bounce out, and it is BJGE's job to follow the FB. Where could he have "cut"?

Maybe he should have jumped over that huge scrum pile? But then he'd have to deal with the FS coming right at him?

The Chargers read that play all the way through and had everyone flowing right.

Not only that, but Connolly missed a block, helping Hernandez with a double team instead. The Charger shot the gap and got to BJGE.

The OL situation will certainly be addressed in the offseason. However, I would be not be surprised to see Light at LT in 2011.

There are folks here who want no one back for 2011 except Vollmer, and perhaps Connolly as a backup. And since folks want Vollmer moved to LT, there would be new players at all five OL positions. That just isn't goping to happen. That is not even close to what will happen.

While I agree that the OL will change some next year, some of the present OL will be starting next year.

Let's not forget that Light was also at fault late in the Jets game when Taylor got to Brady. At some point, Vollmer has to take over in that position.

One thread, so many Ginzu Knives.

Brady held the ball too long on many of those plays. He is as much to blame as anyone.

Here's a quick hint for the oline.

If the QB gets 3 seconds and can make a move, that's the start of the oline being OK.

I agree with this. There were chances for brady to just throw the ball away and give us more manageable 3rd downs. We also only threw 2 screen passes the entire game if im correct. The chargers pinned their ears back the entire game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes