PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Light and the OL in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
and koppen sucked too!!.......seriously Light played like sh;t today and has for most of his career. He has had many good games I am sure....and has been bailed out a crapload by Brady. Overall....this will be his last year I would imagine...,and pray. But he was especially useless today as was Koppen. Brady ought to be able to hock a loogie on lights steak next time he takes the OL out.

While Light didn't play his best game, your statement that Light has played like sh!t for most of his career is just asinine and shows how much you don't know about football. The guy has been the starting LT for this team for 10 years now. He's been a good LT. He's had his ups and downs against some of the best (like Taylor and Schobel). Has he been HOF worthy? No. He hasn't. But he's still in the top 3 for LTs to have put on a Patriots Uniform.

If Light has played so poorly as you suggest throughout his career, there is no way he'd have been the starting LT on this team for 3 years, let alone 10.

Yes, he's about done. Yes, the top end DEs/OLBs give him a hard time. But they give everyone a hard time.

Last edited:
One thread, so many Ginzu Knives.

Brady held the ball too long on many of those plays. He is as much to blame as anyone.

Here's a quick hint for the oline.

If the QB gets 3 seconds and can make a move, that's the start of the oline being OK.

Anthony Castonzo - stud left tackle from Boston College - is starting to look pretty good in the draft right now...

The 4th down try they deserved to fail, who the hell runs an off tackle run on 4th & 1, you need 1 yard, why run 3 yards left to get 1 north. Yet another stupid play call by the OC.

The 4th down try they deserved to fail, who the hell runs an off tackle run on 4th & 1, you need 1 yard, why run 3 yards left to get 1 north. Yet another stupid play call by the OC.

It wasn't supposed to be an off-tackle run. BJGE made it look like that because he didn't cut up, inside, to the huge hole he had. Instead, he cut outside and into 3 Chargers.

Anthony Castonzo - stud left tackle from Boston College - is starting to look pretty good in the draft right now...

I only see that happening if they grade him out as being better than Vollmer for that position. If so, great. I'd like him and Vollmer as the bookends for the next 5 years...

Well if you plan on moving Vollmer to LT, you still need a RT to replace Kaczur (who is even worse and more often injured than Light). I'd rather just keep Vollmer at RT and draft or sign a new LT. Vollmer has been playing RT for a year and half now and seems to be doing well. Lets give him some time there.

Koppen was real bad today. 4th and one goes around the edge, because at that point in the game Koppen was more than likely ending up in his own backfield.

Koppen was real bad today. 4th and one goes around the edge, because at that point in the game Koppen was more than likely ending up in his own backfield.

He does not look anywhere near the 296 lbs he is listed at. Looks way closer to 280 lbs. When at the games in person it is noticeable.

Bill tends to rebuild units ... I bet the OL is up next ... we need 3 pieces.

Last edited:
Light was so terrible that they benched Connolly.

Wait, what?

Well if you plan on moving Vollmer to LT, you still need a RT to replace Kaczur (who is even worse and more often injured than Light). I'd rather just keep Vollmer at RT and draft or sign a new LT. Vollmer has been playing RT for a year and half now and seems to be doing well. Lets give him some time there.

It's not a matter of what I am planning. It's a matter of what the Pats are planning. And Vollmer was drafted last year with an eye on having him replace Light at LT. This is well known.

Also, Vollmer has played both LT and RT for the Pats. He did not play, exclusively, at the RT position last year.

It's also easier to replace a RT than a LT for a right handed QB because the LT has the blind-side of the QB. And Vollmer held up well there.

Wait, what?

Where do you get that they benched Connolly? Connolly was out there on the last series of downs for the Pats. Including moving to FB as the lead blocker on the 4th and 3..

Where do you get that they benched Connolly? Connolly was out there on the last series of downs for the Pats. Including moving to FB as the lead blocker on the 4th and 3..

Wendell took some of Connolly's snaps in the second half.

I'm guessing Connolly had a flaw in his game, perhaps due to a routine injury that he just didn't happen to be handling well, so they rested him, coached him back up, and sent him back up.

Wendell took some of Connolly's snaps in the second half.

I'm guessing Connolly had a flaw in his game, perhaps due to a routine injury that he just didn't happen to be handling well, so they rested him, coached him back up, and sent him back up.

I didn't catch that. Though, I did miss a good portion of the 4th quarter thanks to the idiots at CBS11 here in Dallas.

Wow.. alllll game the offensive line was just horrendous, especially Matt Light... he was getting flat-out abused by Barnes, Applewhite etc

and koppen sucked too!!.......seriously Light played like sh;t today and has for most of his career. He has had many good games I am sure....and has been bailed out a crapload by Brady. Overall....this will be his last year I would imagine...,and pray. But he was especially useless today as was Koppen. Brady ought to be able to hock a loogie on lights steak next time he takes the OL out.

While Light didn't play his best game, your statement that Light has played like sh!t for most of his career is just asinine and shows how much you don't know about football. The guy has been the starting LT for this team for 10 years now. He's been a good LT. He's had his ups and downs against some of the best (like Taylor and Schobel). Has he been HOF worthy? No. He hasn't. But he's still in the top 3 for LTs to have put on a Patriots Uniform.

If Light has played so poorly as you suggest throughout his career, there is no way he'd have been the starting LT on this team for 3 years, let alone 10.

Yes, he's about done. Yes, the top end DEs/OLBs give him a hard time. But they give everyone a hard time.

Yes, Light is in the twilight of his career now (no pun intended). He will not get a new contract.

However his being abused today had nothing to do with technique (the standard by which we would call him lousy). It had to do with the fact that Barnes was lining up way on his outside shoulder as a 9 tech and with his speed it would have taken a top-notch LT with amazing lateral speed and some pretty sick bucket stepping to cut him off.

Wait, what?

Really? I didn't see that, but I did see that he didn't have a good game either.

As for Light, I said it in another thread and I'll say it again: he usually has one or two TERRIBLE games a year and then bounces back. Let's hope this is it because he was getting owned all day long. The interior O-Line was awful, too. I'm beginning to think more and more that our first draft pick should be used on a center.

It wasn't supposed to be an off-tackle run. BJGE made it look like that because he didn't cut up, inside, to the huge hole he had. Instead, he cut outside and into 3 Chargers.

What big hole?

It was not a cut outside, it was a bounce out, and it is BJGE's job to follow the FB. Where could he have "cut"?

Maybe he should have jumped over that huge scrum pile? But then he'd have to deal with the FS coming right at him?

The Chargers read that play all the way through and had everyone flowing right.

Attachments

• bjge.jpg
    bjge.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 228
when will selfish Mankins come back?

Matt Light needs to go

OL had a bad game, but look at the big positive: 2nd consecutive game on the road with clutch, tough Patriot's Defense! I like the Post-Moss Era.

There are a lot of good guards in this year's draft. Marcus Cannon, Rodney Hudson, Ben Ijalana could all be first rounders this year. I'd be surprised if we didn't draft one with Mankins not looking like he'll be here next year, and Neal always thinking about retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case