PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Matt Cassell - QB contoversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Gr8est

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
OK, sorry about the cheap ploy to draw you all in, I don't see a QB controversy in New England as long as Tom Brady is Tom Brady...

...but I was wondering about which teams Matt Casselll COULD cause a QB controvery on.

For starters, I am re-posting AzPatsFans's excellent post from a previous Matt Cassell thread, since it is astute and well-written and will save me some time:

"There is only one Tom Brady,but that does not mean that Matt Cassel is without talent.

Scouting QBs is the hardest thing to do because athletic talent has the least to do with a QBs ability, once he has an arm "good enough". Cassel's arm obviously passes that "good enough" test with lots of room to spare.

Then the things that you evaluate a QB on are:

POISE (The ability to remain composed under pressure)
- Rohan Davey didn't have it
Intelligence (To understand the theory of the Offense)
- Michael Bishop didn't have it
Leadership (An Intangible that makes others wiling to follow)
- John Huard didn't have it
Personality (The ability to get along with 52 other guys on the Team)
- Jeff George didn't have it
Tenacity ( Toughness and never give up attitude)
- Tony Eason didn't have it
Hard Worker (To be a good QB you have to work hard at it)
- Drew Bledsoe but its not entirely true He is not a good example perhaps the Raider QB of the 80s, who would rather have smoked dope, whose name I forget (Milasovich??)
Team Oriented ( The ability to sacrifice for the good of the Team)
- Jeff George definitely didn't have it

Only now do we get to pure athletic talent. Many a successful QB didn't have enough but still won. Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, Joe Kapp, are but a few examples.

Athletic talent analyzed.

Cassel's arm might actually be slightly stronger than Brady's arm. He approaches Bledsoe the epitome in in arm strength.

Cassel's accuracy is no where near Brady's, but it is at least as good as Grogans and maybe better.

Cassel's running ability is better than many Pats starters. While not as good as a Young Steve Grogan, he is not too far behind. He's miles ahead of Bledsoe and Plunkett though.

Cassel is not inhibited by size. He has ideal size, and can see over the line and rush, unlike say Doug Flutie whose passing was constrained to certain "throwing lanes".

In short, I can see Matt Cassel evolving in to an NFL starting caliber, above average, QB. He made major strides and is almost there already as a Sophomore."

Now there are obvious teams where Cassell wouldn't cause a QB controversy, such as NE and Indy, but is he good enough to cause a contoversy if he was backing up say Bledsoe, Plummer, or Brunell? I say yes, definitely!

I'd be interested in hearing comments here.

The Gr8est said:
OK, sorry about the cheap ploy to draw you all in, I don't see a QB controversy in New England as long as Tom Brady is Tom Brady...

...but I was wondering about which teams Matt Casselll COULD cause a QB controvery on.

For starters, I am re-posting AzPatsFans's excellent post from a previous Matt Cassell thread, since it is astute and well-written and will save me some time:

"There is only one Tom Brady,but that does not mean that Matt Cassel is without talent.

Scouting QBs is the hardest thing to do because athletic talent has the least to do with a QBs ability, once he has an arm "good enough". Cassel's arm obviously passes that "good enough" test with lots of room to spare.

Then the things that you evaluate a QB on are:

POISE (The ability to remain composed under pressure)
- Rohan Davey didn't have it
Intelligence (To understand the theory of the Offense)
- Michael Bishop didn't have it
Leadership (An Intangible that makes others wiling to follow)
- John Huard didn't have it
Personality (The ability to get along with 52 other guys on the Team)
- Jeff George didn't have it
Tenacity ( Toughness and never give up attitude)
- Tony Eason didn't have it
Hard Worker (To be a good QB you have to work hard at it)
- Drew Bledsoe but its not entirely true He is not a good example perhaps the Raider QB of the 80s, who would rather have smoked dope, whose name I forget (Milasovich??)
Team Oriented ( The ability to sacrifice for the good of the Team)
- Jeff George definitely didn't have it

Only now do we get to pure athletic talent. Many a successful QB didn't have enough but still won. Brian Sipe, Bernie Kosar, Joe Kapp, are but a few examples.

Athletic talent analyzed.

Cassel's arm might actually be slightly stronger than Brady's arm. He approaches Bledsoe the epitome in in arm strength.

Cassel's accuracy is no where near Brady's, but it is at least as good as Grogans and maybe better.

Cassel's running ability is better than many Pats starters. While not as good as a Young Steve Grogan, he is not too far behind. He's miles ahead of Bledsoe and Plunkett though.

Cassel is not inhibited by size. He has ideal size, and can see over the line and rush, unlike say Doug Flutie whose passing was constrained to certain "throwing lanes".

In short, I can see Matt Cassel evolving in to an NFL starting caliber, above average, QB. He made major strides and is almost there already as a Sophomore."

Now there are obvious teams where Cassell wouldn't cause a QB controversy, such as NE and Indy, but is he good enough to cause a contoversy if he was backing up say Bledsoe, Plummer, or Brunell? I say yes, definitely!

I'd be interested in hearing comments here.

If Matt Cassell is really that good, then I think we should trade him to avoid any QB controversy between Cassell and Brady.

If Rohan Davey was worth a 1st rounder, then Cassell should easily bring in two 1st rounders.

Last edited:
The is indeed justice in the world.

Start a thread using a cheap attention getting trick thread title and the only guy who will give you an answer is Mikey :D

Last edited:
brady2brown said:
The is indeed justice in the world.

Start a thread using a cheap attention getting trick thread title and the only guy who will give you an answer is Mikey :D

You wound me deeply sir!

Cassel is clearly better than Davey - there'll be no controversy but we will be able to trade Cassel at the appropriate time.

For the first time in Patriots franchise history, we not only have the BEST QB in the game, but the best player/playmarker in the game. He is also one of the most clutch big game QB's of all time....

WHY, WHY are we still lamenting over how AWESOME Matt Cassel is? Threads like this are so pathetic.

Just sit back and enjoy what you have in Brady and stop with the Cassel trade bait, or Cassel Brady Clone crap already!

Before long, Brady will be at the podium giving his retirement speech-are some fans then and only then going to realize what we had in Brady-his leadership, passion to win, team first character?

Spend some time at the Dolphins Fin Heaven and see how many threads they still dedicate to Marino. They have been desperate for a second coming to Danny Boy that they have a post that actual has a poll on who is better; Brady or Culpepper -sure Brady leads the poll by 70%, but there are at least 300 Dolphin fans that are desperate enough to put Culpepper ahead of Brady! We, my fellow Pat fans, are not desperate to replace Brady...or are we???

My point is, let Cassel be the backup and let's hope we do NOT have to see him or hear his name until camp starts up again in 2007.

Last edited:
Unbelievable. Lets start another imaginary contorversy like, Dillon sulking, and now this one.

Not all thoughts have to be shared - sometimes it's better to let them just float out of ones head.:mad:

PATSNUTme said:
Unbelievable. Lets start another imaginary contorversy like, Dillon sulking, and now this one.

Not all thoughts have to be shared - sometimes it's better to let them just float out of ones head.:mad:

So who's creating a controversy? There is NO contoversy suggesting that Cassell is going to supplant Brady.

My question is, "Is Cassell good enough to start a controversy on a team with a good but not great QB such as Bledsoe or Plummer?" Cetainly the drafting of Cutler indicates the Broncos aren't thrilled with Plummer and there WILL BE a QB controversy in Denver soon. Is Cassell good enough now that his play would cause a controversy in Dallas or Denver if he was their backup?

It points to the upside and development of Cassell and his trade value, as well as show another example of the brilliance of BB and SP.

The Gr8est said:
You wound me deeply sir!
Sorry. You did state up front that you used a cheap ploy to get people's attention.

As long as Brady wears a Pats uni, there will never be a QB controversy in New England. End of discussion.

However, considering that Cassel has not been a regular starter since high school and is now a backup QB in the NFL is nothing short of extraordinary. I think Pete Carroll has something to do with him being here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft