PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Massarotti : Careful Pats fans,Chargers are a trap

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're usually favorites in a trap game, Pats are underdogs.

Exactly. It's tough for it to be a trap game when they are underdogs. Trap games are games you are expected to win, typically to win handily.

In the NFL, there is no such thing as a "TRAP" game. Who every made this up obviously knows nothing about sports or football. These players and coaches all work hard day in and day out to best prepare themselves for their up coming opponent. They take no one lightly or prepare any less during the week. With a 16 week schedule and every game counts, there are no mulligans.

Reporter: "Coach, can you explain the loss today"?
BB: "There is nothing to worry about, it was just a trap game".

Last edited:
...however the patriots need to take this game seriously, because Rivers is a threat, the patriots are on the road and this is the first time they will have been favored (for the most part) on the road...

What are you talking about?

In the NFL, there is no such thing as a "TRAP" game. Who every made this up obviously knows nothing about sports or football. These players and coaches all work hard day in and day out to best prepare themselves for their up coming opponent. They take no one lightly or prepare any less during the week. With a 16 week schedule and every game counts, there are no mulligans.

hmmm, pretty sure it doesn't say careful Bill Belicheck....trap games are mostly for the fans and it doesn't matter how hard a team prepares btw there are always lapses in judgement and some teams get caught looking forward.

It was Bill Parcells.

I was listening to F&M in the car today just after 5pm. As they came back from the break, Massarotti was chortling over something he had just read on the net and said he'd tell Felger later. Felger said "patsfans.com" though he then said they were blocked from patsfans there, no idea what that really meant.

It appears they check us out here and this thread is likely possible cause of their amusement. I couldn't keep listening to see if they went into it again later, anyone hear?

By my knowledge, I define a trap game as coming off a big win or two, playing a supposedly inferior opponent, which is OVERLOOKED (key) because a stronger team or heated rival is around the corner next week.

You have part 1. Maybe part 2, which BB is better than most coaches at avoiding, but the youth of the team may hinder, and definitely not part 3.

So yes, I might expect a bit of a letdown, but not a true trap game. If BB can prevent #2, and he has shown he usually does, they shouldn't come out awfully flat.

Also, just to make clear, a team can win or lose and still be "trapped". It's how they come out to play, flat or up, that decides. Usually it's compared to the point spread not just a W or L. We're only talking about an absolute point or two versus true expected ability.

I was listening to F&M in the car today just after 5pm. As they came back from the break, Massarotti was chortling over something he had just read on the net and said he'd tell Felger later. Felger said "patsfans.com" though he then said they were blocked from patsfans there, no idea what that really meant.

It appears they check us out here and this thread is likely possible cause of their amusement. I couldn't keep listening to see if they went into it again later, anyone hear?
Did not hear that portion of the show; but regarding Felger and PatsFans.com, if you have not done so already you may want to check out this interview:

Sunday Morning Conversation With Michael Felger :pats Confidential

I'm glad Mazz wrote this. I was looking past the Chargers, but now I'm more focused on this game and anticipate that I will have a better cheering performance from my couch. :rolleyes:

I'm glad Mazz wrote this. I was looking past the Chargers, but now I'm more focused on this game and anticipate that I will have a better cheering performance from my couch. :rolleyes:

Personally, I've been muttering "one game at a time" under my breath for days now. :eek:

there can only be one trap game a season:rolleyes:

Yeah okay buddy. Not what I said at all.

Chargers are favored entering this game. A lot of people are expecting a competitive game despite the two teams' records. The Lions game most would consider a laugher (the casual fan at least). The Chargers still have #1 ranked offense and defense and are tough to beat at home. They get infinitely more respect/cred in the football world than the Lions do. Plus the Jets would be waiting the following week. Think that won't be on the team's minds heading into Detroit? Hope nobody's naive to think that it won't. THAT is why I say the Lions game fits the profile more.

Last edited:
Every game's a trap game if you lose.

It's a good column--his mistake is using the phrase "trap game" which isn't really what he means.

The main point of the column is that a developing team will have ebbs and flows in their development over the course of a season. The hardest thing for a young team is developing consistency, which hopefully the Pats will be able to do.

It's a good column--his mistake is using the phrase "trap game" which isn't really what he means.

The main point of the column is that a developing team will have ebbs and flows in their development over the course of a season. The hardest thing for a young team is developing consistency, which hopefully the Pats will be able to do.
Mazz is incapable of writing a good column. He's too stupid.

Yeah okay buddy. Not what I said at all.

Chargers are favored entering this game. A lot of people are expecting a competitive game despite the two teams' records. The Lions game most would consider a laugher (the casual fan at least). The Chargers still have #1 ranked offense and defense and are tough to beat at home. They get infinitely more respect/cred in the football world than the Lions do. Plus the Jets would be waiting the following week. Think that won't be on the team's minds heading into Detroit? Hope nobody's naive to think that it won't. THAT is why I say the Lions game fits the profile more.

This is what the thread is about, the casual fan would see this as a trap game. Riding high off a big win against the Ravens, the casual fan sees this game as one of the best teams in the nfl against a team that just lost to the Rams. Id like to think that most of the posters here are more knowledgeable than the casual fan, thats why most of the predictions you will see will be close.

This is what the thread is about, the casual fan would see this as a trap game. Riding high off a big win against the Ravens, the casual fan sees this game as one of the best teams in the nfl against a team that just lost to the Rams. Id like to think that most of the posters here are more knowledgeable than the casual fan, thats why most of the predictions you will see will be close.

I can definitely agree with that.

The chargers are averaging 40 ppg at home, and I'm still not totally sold on our defense, so sure, I could see this being a tough matchup. I still think the Pats will win, though.

Masarotti's face is a trap for mah FIST

I wonder what spanky spaulding thinks about this piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News