Maroney
O'Brien
Pees
Little bit of Moss
Maroney
Maroney
Belichick has sucked at drafting players
Meriweather

It's a vicious cycle for the Simmons clones.

I think it was Belichick's way of simply saying, "here's 60 minutes to think about it," to try to ensure that when he gets into the situation again, Maroney will protect the ball better.

I don't think it was done in anger or anything like that. I think the fact that he did bench him for the entire game means very likely does mean he views Maroney as a feature back for the playoffs. The benching was designed to be an instruction and motivation tool, and why do you need to instruct or motivate a guy if you're not going to use him in high pressure situations later.

I actually love the way Maroney has been playing lately, and I think the red zone fumbles are in part a result of the fact that he's running so darn hard and trying to keep plays going. Yesterday, I think he learned that sometimes going to the turf or wrapping both arms around the ball rather than trying to get the extra yard is the right play. I assume lesson learned.

The best thing about this forum is that even the most arrantly uninformed posters have a voice!

That's funny.
So that includes anyone who does'nt agree with you that Maroney is our best back?
So Maroney is better than Morris, Fred Taylor, and I won't mention Kevin Faulk, because you'll tell me how dumb I am because he is a "situational' back.
And Maroney does'nt have a fumbling problem.
Yeah, OK.

Last edited:
Maroney deserved to get benched. The fumbling near the goal line has got to stop!

Maroney deserved to get benched. The fumbling near the goal line has got to stop!

True story, it doesn't mean he won't ever play for us again, or he won't start, although I would be surprised if he started this week, but he was definitely sent a message. I also believe that if he gets in and fumbles again, either next game or during the playoffs, we won't see him again.

the Maroney haters had to shut up for a while because he was playing well, now that they have a chance to rip into him again they are going to jump all over it. Maroney had never had an issue with fumbles until about a month ago, I am sure he will be out of this funk soon enough.

I certainly hope you are right!! I believe some people here are using the wrong words in describing Maroney. He may very well be our best "runner" right now. He is running very hard, pushing the pile, and keeping his feet. All that being said, he is our 4th best running back, because he can't hold on to the ball. If he fixes that everything is hunkey dorey! I hope it is just bad luck, however, I am afraid it relates directly back to what has made him a much better runner in the last 1/2 of the season. Pushing that pile and keeping upright has given opposing teams more of a chance to get the ball, and he hasn't been able to protect it. Hopefully, it is just a technical issue and he will be able to address it.

Adrian Peterson just fumbled in overtime of the Vikings game. He should be benched now, right?

Maybe the Vikings could trade him and still salvage a 7th round pick in return.

Adrian Peterson just fumbled in overtime of the Vikings game. He should be benched now, right?

I thought the same thing too, and it wasnt like its the first time he fumbled all season, I think hes up around 6.

Just shows that sometimes Maroney isnt given fair treatment around here

comparing Maroney to AP, bwhahahahahahahahahahaah

as soon as Maroney performs well enough to hold AP's jock strap, he can get a pass for a fumble.

Last edited:
Maroney has 4 career fumbles ... "4"

Kevin Faulk had 7 in his first 2 years.

He had 10 fumbles in 3 out of his 1st 5 seasons.

Faulk had 3 > 1999
Faulk had 4 > 2000
Faulk had 3 > 2003

Just for some comparison. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maroney has 4 career fumbles ... "4"

Kevin Faulk had 7 in his first 2 years.

He had 10 fumbles in 3 out of his 1st 5 seasons.

Faulk had 3 > 1999
Faulk had 4 > 2000
Faulk had 3 > 2003

Just for some comparison. :rolleyes:
True. I think the real number the Maroney haters are riled about is "7". As in, if he gets 7 against the Colts, maybe we win. Just sayin'.
Please keep in mind I'm NOT a Maroney hater. I think he's done very well this year overall. I really do wish he'd held on to that one tho.

Edit: Oops, guess the number should be "6". Unless LM can kick extra points too :)

Last edited:

as soon as Maroney performs well enough to hold AP's jock strap, he can get a pass for a fumble.

Peterson has 20 career fumbles, and he's only been in the league since 2007, yet he's considered one of the very best running backs in the game. Perhaps instead of reflexively bashing Maroney as your retort you could try using your brain next time. If you bench players every time they make mistakes, you'll have nobody to play the game. When Brady next throws an interception, should we expect to see Hoyer?

Last edited:

how about 7 fumbles this year compaired to the 4 LM has in his career? Or maybe the fact that AP has more fumbles than any RB in the NFL over the last two seasons. and before you accuse me of it....no I am not saying he is better than AP, if you think that is what this is about you missed the point.

I think the biggest Maroney bashers(me included)want him to succeed but we are just so tired of him letting us down. I want him to score everytime he touches it and as long as he is a Pat I will continue to pull for him. but I will not blow smoke up your turd tunnel and say he hasnt been a bust.

Maroney
Meriweather
Moss
Meriweather
Maroney
O'Brien
Pees
Little bit of Moss
Maroney
Maroney
Belichick has sucked at drafting players
Meriweather

I would put "Bill has sucked at drafting players" higher on the list; perhaps at the top of it. But that's a topic for another thread.

It's a vicious cycle for the Simmons clones.

Hey, my wife graduated from Simmons College, and she resembles that remark, nyuk nyuk nyuk.

But seriously, folks...

LaMa needs a Professional FullBack leading the way to the promised land;
not a backup OLman,
not a backup 2nd-year RB,
not a LB,
not a DLman,
but a FB who can attack the hole with explosiveness & vision, which will help identify the first threat from the defense.

LaMa fumbled against the dolts in not an insignificant part because BJGE did not properly identify the most immediate threat to the ball-carrier. The result was: LaMa never saw the LB coming.

LaMa fumbled yesterday for 2 reasons:
he was given no push from the OL & his lead-blocker Connelly, and...
he was carrying the ball Too Damn High. He needed to lower his shoulders, make himself smaller, and find somewhere to land. Nothing good ever happens when you allow the front 7 to take shots at you & your football. Unfortunately, this complaint of running too upright has followed LaMa from his days at the U of Minnesota.

The question going forward is, for me:
Can LaMa adjust his technique this late in the season, so that he can improve his ball security, esp. in goal-line/short-yardage situations, without compromising his explosiveness, power & vision?

Peterson has 20 career fumbles, and he's only been in the league since 2007, yet he's considered one of the very best running backs in the game. Perhaps instead of reflexively bashing Maroney as your retort you could try using your brain next time. If you bench players every time they make mistakes, you'll have nobody to play the game. When Brady next throws an interception, should we expect to see Hoyer?

how about 7 fumbles this year compaired to the 4 LM has in his career? Or maybe the fact that AP has more fumbles than any RB in the NFL over the last two seasons. and before you accuse me of it....no I am not saying he is better than AP, if you think that is what this is about you missed the point.

How about 305 carries for 1300+ yards, and 17td's? Yeah,t hats what I thought. Dont ever disrespect AP by comparing him to Maroney.

Ill say it again: As soon as Maroney puts up the numbers that AP does, he can get a pass for a fumble.

Until then, hes a below average running back that has been fumbling the ball at the worst times. And frankly its laughable that he is being compared to AP.

I know its hard for some of you to understand this logic, but read slowly, sound out the words, then think befor you post.

Last edited:
Just guessing here but perhaps a similar situation (weakness) picked up on film by the other teams. Perhaps the way he goes in the endzone. Probably very correctable. Like I keep saying he runs different than from college and different from when he was a rookie. He's rebuilt the running back he is and will be going forward. He's a good running back.

I don't think we should ever put much stock into who is the star of the week ... all based on weaknesses. If healthy we have 4 good RB's who all seem to be okay with getting a share of the load. What other team has 4 very decent backs who don't have a ton of carries at this point in the season.

How about 305 carries for 1300+ yards, and 17td's? Yeah,t hats what I thought. Dont ever disrespect AP by comparing him to Maroney.

Ill say it again: As soon as Maroney puts up the numbers that AP does, he can get a pass for a fumble.

Until then, hes a below average running back that has been fumbling the ball at the worst times. And frankly its laughable that he is being compared to AP.

I know its hard for some of you to understand this logic, but read slowly, sound out the words, then think befor you post.

The issue isn't logic. The issue is your apparent inability to grasp a simple point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back