PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney's benching

Status
Not open for further replies.
he deserved to be benched, but next week is a new week.......

I think part of the problem lies with the fact that his fumble problems started to happen at the same time he started running better and harder......I am sure it is a problem that can be worked out.

BTW, that should have been a TD

So when BB continues to play Maroney you will admit to being wrong or knowing more than BB?

if Maroney continues to put the ball on the ground every 28 times will you?

Maroney fumbled in 4 games, that's FOUR GAMES. Also note that a fumble is only one part of the entire picture of not only Maroney himself but his contribution to the bottom line. That is not equivalent to 6 months of an employee slacking off or doing poor for whatever reason. Again it was a terrible analogy, now let it go. That's why I didn't answer it in the first place.

116 carries is a lifetime in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately occupation. How do you know that they are exclusive? Your opinion which has about as much weight as mine.

Disagree? The fact is you are wrong. This is the type of stuff I mean. Yet you tell me to "watch the games".

Indy, after the fumble we stopped them and Welker returned the punt to the 7. We scored in 2 plays and Maroney was back in on the next drive.

Jets, after the fumble, pick 6 by Bodden. Maroney was back in on the next drive.

NO, after the fumble, Maroney fumbles Ellis and Welker recovers. Few plays later Maroney is back in and then a couple plays after gets a goalline TD

.....and BB had enough and pulled him vs JAX. They did go away from him vs Indy (2 carries rest of the game when up big) and to a lesser extent NO. LoMo got the carries vs NYJ b/c they were up by 17.

Again you twist words and stick to your bias. I never claimed Moss was "performing fine". I said Moss had a stretch of games where his production was down, but it's nothing to worry about and it happens. This is the NFL, if you expect Moss to be perfect that's your problem. As it turns out my attitude to not be worried was correct. Your worried trend crap turned out to be stupid. Did you really expect Moss to continue "trending downward"? I mean get real.

Yep and BB wasn't concerned either. Which is why he sent him home along with 3 other player who are suddenly performing now. What a shock! Thats why players need coaching and motivation sometimes...

Maroney has fumbled too much lately, but again I am not worried that it is a sign of long term future struggles. I'm confident he'll be fine in the ball security department as he has proven to be throughout his career.

But yea you can go ahead and watch the games and tell me again how after each fumble BB benched Maroney for the game :rolleyes:. Now that is classic

OK. Just did.

Last edited:
if Maroney continues to put the ball on the ground every 28 times will you?

Answer my question with a question and then accuse ME of avoiding questions?

If Maroney put the ball on the ground every 28 times over the longterm, then I'd want him dropped off the team.

116 carries is a lifetime in a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately occupation. How do you know that they are exclusive? Your opinion which has about as much weight as mine.

You continue to look at the "116 carries" in a box all you want, because it just helps you ignore the rest of the facts.

.....and BB had enough and pulled him vs JAX. They did go away from him vs Indy (2 carries rest of the game when up big) and to a lesser extent NO. LoMo got the carries vs NYJ b/c they were up by 17.

Wow you are just an amazing sidestepper. First you claim that he was punished in every game after the fumble. Yet I show you that DIRECTLY AFTER the fumble he still got carries. So you are now telling me that he was teased and then punished? Oh you fumbled? OK here have 2 more immediate carries and now go into the corner... Really?

JAX is your only case for a benching due to fumble. And coaching discipline, even if it was strictly due to the fumble, is not the same as having a problem that is likely to continue into the future. Just like I don't think that Moss, Burgess, Thomas and Guyton have a longstanding problem or tendency to be late, but am fine with the discipline for them being late.

Yep and BB wasn't concerned either. Which is why he sent him home along with 3 other player who are suddenly performing now. What a shock! Thats why players need coaching and motivation sometimes...

You are ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. You continue to push your obviously wrong assertions that people were sent home due to performance issues. It is laughable that you are still holding on to this.

Monday meeting: BB says ARRIVE EARLY and STAY LATE
Wednesday meeting: 4 players arrive late

your conclusion: they weren't performing!

And then you insinuate that sending them home is what made them play better. None of them played great in the immediate game after the discipline, and Thomas didn't even play at all.

OK. Just did.

:rolleyes: pretty sad really.

Answer my question with a question and then accuse ME of avoiding questions?

If Maroney put the ball on the ground every 28 times over the longterm, then I'd want him dropped off the team. .

Just playing your game....;)

If Maroney fumbles vs HOU, I do not want him carrying the ball in the playoffs. End of story.

You continue to look at the "116 carries" in a box all you want, because it just helps you ignore the rest of the facts. .

Its 1/2 a season of carries for him. More than enough of a sample to conclude that he has a problem holding onto the football. Sheesh!

Wow you are just an amazing sidestepper. First you claim that he was punished in every game after the fumble. Yet I show you that DIRECTLY AFTER the fumble he still got carries. So you are now telling me that he was teased and then punished? Oh you fumbled? OK here have 2 more immediate carries and now go into the corner... Really? .

never said that. said BB will either bench him or go away from him. Indy, NO and JAX prove that. hello?

JAX is your only case for a benching due to fumble. .

never said JUST benching. go away from too.

And coaching discipline, even if it was strictly due to the fumble, is not the same as having a problem that is likely to continue into the future..

never said Maroney was diciplined. said he needed coaching. seperate issue to the 4 underperformers.

Just like I don't think that Moss, Burgess, Thomas and Guyton have a longstanding problem or tendency to be late, but am fine with the discipline for them being late. .

You need to stop correlating lateness with punishment and start looking at the larger scope. All 4 were underperforming. All 4 are now performing.

You are ridiculous, absolutely ridiculous. You continue to push your obviously wrong assertions that people were sent home due to performance issues. It is laughable that you are still holding on to this. .

if all 4 were performing at a high-level, they would not have been sent home. It is laughable that you do not believe this.

Monday meeting: BB says ARRIVE EARLY and STAY LATE
Wednesday meeting: 4 players arrive late

your conclusion: they weren't performing!.

Funny how they wern't and now are....Hmmmmm

And then you insinuate that sending them home is what made them play better. None of them played great in the immediate game after the discipline, and Thomas didn't even play at all. .

It didn't make them play better immediately, but what it did do is get them refocused on doing their jobs- which is helping the team win. I'm convinced that it was a wake-up call for other players as well- many players, including TBD even said so. If BB didn't think that there wasn't a possibility of that happening, why would he even do it? Think about that.

:rolleyes: pretty sad really.

Sad that you can't see whats right in front of you.

I'll ignore most of the crap that you have here...

never said that. said BB will either bench him or go away from him. Indy, NO and JAX prove that. hello?

So you are saying it is likely that BB will stop running the ball because Maroney fumbled once. BB is so stupid, that he would rather just stop running the ball (i.e. keep maroney in there but not running rather than putting a different RB in there) because he thinks Maroney is at risk to fumble?

How do you come up with this crap. And considering he went RIGHT back to him very shortly after the fumbles in each game except JAX, your "opinion" makes no sense. So he goes right back to Maroney the next drive or a few plays later, but then after decides oh wait a few plays ago he fumbled so let's keep him in there but don't give him the ball.

You need to stop correlating lateness with punishment and start looking at the larger scope. All 4 were underperforming. All 4 are now performing.

Are you trully this arrogant? Or is it just ignorance? Stop correlating the REASON FOR SENDING THEM HOME with the reason for sending them home? huh what the...

if all 4 were performing at a high-level, they would not have been sent home. It is laughable that you do not believe this.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sorry that I've dragged this on this much.

You are simply filled with conspiracy theory mentality of trying to correlate anything you want with the reasons you have pre-determined have to exist.

Hey emoney and robert weathers, are you guys in love or something? Seriously, it's getting ridiculous.

"A straw man argument is an informal fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position.[1] To "attack a straw man" is to create the illusion of having refuted a proposition by substituting a superficially similar proposition (the "straw man"), and refuting it, without ever having actually refuted the original position.[1][2]"

the strawman argument is you and whoever else saying that AP fumbles and should be benched and if Brady throws a INT he should be benched. So dont try and say it wasnt, because its right there in black and white and ill surely call you out on it.

good job cherry picking some stats, how about you use the entire season as your stats.

oops, there goes your entire argument. Stop comparing AP to Maroney, you look more and more stupid every time you post.

I know what a straw man is. My point hasn't been one. You failing to grasp a point does not turn that point into a straw man.

Also, I wasn't comparing Maroney to AP until YOU started with the "production" argument. I was using AP as an example of how even the greats can have problems.

By the way, why the hell would I use the entire season of stats when your claim was about production and AP's production slump is what I was pointing to? That would be stupid on my part.

Last edited:
I'll ignore most of the crap that you have here...

So you are saying it is likely that BB will stop running the ball because Maroney fumbled once. BB is so stupid, that he would rather just stop running the ball (i.e. keep maroney in there but not running rather than putting a different RB in there) because he thinks Maroney is at risk to fumble? .

They pretty much went to Faulk and put the ball in Brady's hands to win the game.

How do you come up with this crap. And considering he went RIGHT back to him very shortly after the fumbles in each game except JAX, your "opinion" makes no sense. So he goes right back to Maroney the next drive or a few plays later, but then after decides oh wait a few plays ago he fumbled so let's keep him in there but don't give him the ball. .

Indy- went away- not a trend yet.
NYJ-- not a trend yet, but worrisome
NO- BB is what is going on?

they address it and work on it in practice.
JAX- Maroney- OUT.

Kinda simple really.

Are you trully this arrogant? Or is it just ignorance? Stop correlating the REASON FOR SENDING THEM HOME with the reason for sending them home? huh what the...

Talk about arrogance. Why is everything I say wrong and everything you way right? Pot, meet kettle.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. I'm sorry that I've dragged this on this much.

I'm not . It's facinating to me why you don't see the obvious. I'm enjoying this.

You are simply filled with conspiracy theory mentality of trying to correlate anything you want with the reasons you have pre-determined have to exist.

All based on data, logic, trends and decades of observing this team in action.

Hey emoney and robert weathers, are you guys in love or something? Seriously, it's getting ridiculous.

Yea you may be right. emoney likes to mix it up. Guess I got carried away too.

My apologies to the board.

All based on cherry picked data, extremely flawed logic, small sample sizes of what I call trends and decades of observing this team in action which is pretty useless by itself and incredibly unreliable when left to the human eyes and memory.

Fixed it for ya ;)

But you forgot to add "wild speculation into the mind of BB"

Last edited:
Fixed it for ya ;)

But you forgot to add "wild speculation into the mind of BB"

Is that what you resort to now? You are better than that.

Last edited:
I just hope Maroney can mentally get passed the fumbles and go back to

blowing his wad again ... we need all 4 RB's ... not just someone's favorite.

I wish I had benched him, I had him as one of my Fantasy RB and that play cost me a net of 8 points (-2 for the Fumble, 6 for the TD) I ended up losing by 4 points.

I'm just sick of him, send him to a shrink or something to figure out why he can't hang on to the damn ball.

Do you have a link to those comments, or are you just here to troll? :rolleyes:

Maroney quote in regard to fumbles "I have to take credit for those. I think it was just me being lazy". From Boston Herald.com, blogs, rapsheet from Dec.4

I wish I had benched him, I had him as one of my Fantasy RB and that play cost me a net of 8 points (-2 for the Fumble, 6 for the TD) I ended up losing by 4 points.

I'm just sick of him, send him to a shrink or something to figure out why he can't hang on to the damn ball.

1. The first problem is that you have Maroney on your fantasy roster in the first place.
2. The Pats use RB by committee so NONE of the Pats RBs will be predictable in terms of production.
3. You should not use fantasy productivity to measure the true worth of a RB.

I just hope that Maroney learns the lesson here and takes better care of the ball from now on. The worst thing that could happen is for him to take it the wrong way and pout or let it affect him negatively.

Maroney CAN be a productive cog in the Pats RB committee, but he has to continue to produce on the field and stop coughing up the ball as he has done lately.

You cant put LoMo on the field, he is averaging a fumble lost per 15 carries since week 5.

Mike Reiss discussed Maroney's fumbles on ESPNBoston:

Laurence Maroney might see his role with the New England Patriots diminished because of a spate of fumbles - ESPN Boston

Some nice quotes from Maroney:

- On whether he had crossed the goal line: "I thought I was over the line, but like I say, that's one of those things that you can't point the finger at anybody but yourself. I have to be more careful with the ball. If I didn't fumble, I still would have been playing. I was looking down and thought I clearly crossed, but hey, it's one of those you just have to suck up. You're in the pile and I thought I crossed it, but it's one of those where you have to come out of the pile with the ball because they really can't see. It's a judgment call, and you really can't tell. I believe if I would have come up with the ball, it would have been a touchdown, but since it was a fumble, now it's a big controversy. I can't point the finger at anybody but myself. When it's all said and done, I have to be more responsible with the ball."

- On his benching: "The good thing about being a player, I'm not a coach, so I don't make decisions. I just play. That was the decision coach made, and I just have to deal with it. If he wants to take me out for the whole game, that's his decision. I can't really complain about it. I did fumble. I'm not condoning fumbling, but it is what it is. You have to live with it and you just move on."

- On moving forward: "I felt like the last nine weeks, when they called on me, I showed up. I think I ran the way they wanted me to run: hard, physical, made plays, scored for them. I don't think it is one of those things where I have to necessarily build confidence back in them. I just have to hold on to the ball. My approach is to be ready. I feel like even though I sat out the whole game, it's going to come back. When it does, I have to keep doing what I have been doing -- running hard."

Whatever his flaws, Maroney's never been one to make excuses. Hope he gets the start against Houston, and holds on to the ball.

I think Maroney only gets minimal carries against Houston. Taylor should get the bulk of the work IMO as he's the most rusty and needs the game time.

We hates it when Maroney fumbles the precious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes