PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Maroney: "The Best Is Yet To Come"

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not true at all. Maroney will attract interest as a FA, barring injury, no matter how he does this year. His performance this year will mostly just dictate how much money he can command and how competitive a backfield he lands in.

Aaron Schatz summed it up pretty well on our PatsCast, I think: if you can get past what you hoped he'd be (Adrian Peterson), you'll see that he's actually a pretty good RB. Not amazing, not even an all pro, but he has a job to do and he does it effectively. If you think that other teams will bypass the guy entirely because he didn't live up to some fans' overinflated expectations, then I dunno what to say except that that's just incorrect.

Maroney won't be able to "command" money. He will be signed by a team to be Chester Taylor, Faulk, Bradshaw, etc.

If he sucks again you won't see him in the NFL, - you might see him in the CFL or some other league - like I said before,very few teams will show an interest in a Pats castoff knowing if he can't succeed in a top heralded system he won't succeed anywhere - This is his FINAL chance to prove he can do it as a Patriot or probably fail in the NFL.

Are you back on your meds again? Maroney ran for over 750 yards last season in a RBBC offense that was decidedly pass-first. He ran for over 830 in his last healthy season before 2009 with the team. Where are you seeing that Maroney has "sucked" before?

Are you back on your meds again? Maroney ran for over 750 yards last season in a RBBC offense that was decidedly pass-first. He ran for over 830 in his last healthy season before 2009 with the team. Where are you seeing that Maroney has "sucked" before?

I won't get into a Maroney love or hate discussion because all it ever does is waste 6 pages of a thread and goes nowhere.

My point is this is the last chance Maroney has of making an impressive show at what IMO is a do or die situation for him as a Patriot and show that he is worthy of an extended time in New England.

Do you really think that if Maroney does nothing special in 2010 that the Pats will sign him for more years based on his first 4 years?

Maroney has shown he can be very useful as a back catching short out passes and doing something with the play,this way he avoids tight quarters and can utilize his speed more...why he is not utilized more for that is something I wonder about.

Last edited:
I give his proclamation the same chance I give mankins showing up and playing.

It would be great, but I ain't holding my breath

I won't get into a Maroney love or hate discussion because all it ever does is waste 6 pages of a thread and goes nowhere.

My point is this is the last chance Maroney has of making an impressive show at what IMO is a do or die situation for him as a Patriot and show that he is worthy of an extended time in New England.

Do you really think that if Maroney does nothing special in 2010 that the Pats will sign him for more years based on his first 4 years?

Maroney has shown he can be very useful as a back catching short out passes and doing something with the play,this way he avoids tight quarters and can utilize his speed more...why he is not utilized more for that is something I wonder about.

I think that if Maroney has another solid season, the Pats will offer him a contract. Nothing Earth shattering, but a contract nonetheless.

No, what you said was this is his last chance to be in the NFL. Maroney is going into his fifth year, at this point in time they generally know what he can do (a lot more than you try to pass off as fact). Sure he could continue to improve but even if he stayed the exact same RB as he has been there would still be place for him in NE (and a lot of other NFL teams). Obviously he would need to have one heck of an amazing year to get near top RB money, but that is not what you were talking about.

Whether Maroney is here after this season largely depends on his (and other teams) valuation of him. If he or another team highly overvalues Maroney, he'll be gone, otherwise he'll be extended.

Yeah,thats what he's said the last two years I think.I've seen some flashes that were promising but not enough.I still think he'a a great recieving threat out of the backfield.Lets hope he's good to his word this year.

This guy is gonna be our version of Chauncey Billups... Suck while he's here, and blow up with some other team down the road.

i don't think he sucks at all he has been the leading rusher on a RBBC pass happy team if there is a team out there that will give him 200+ att he will be a 1000 yard RB

i don't think he sucks at all he has been the leading rusher on a RBBC pass happy team if there is a team out there that will give him 200+ att he will be a 1000 yard RB

He has never proven to be durable enough to hit 200 carries. Even on pass-happy teams, he never made it.

What on earth would lead you to believe that this guy would hold up for 200 Carries?

The closest he came was last season when they fed him 194 times from which he produced an OUTSTANDING 757y/3.9ypc with a couple of GL cough up's.

I'm sorry, but at some point I have to just shelf the "If Only's".

"If only they weren't so pass happy..."

"If only they gave him an extra 10 to 20 carries a season.."

"If only he could stay healthy for a full 16.."

"If only the run blocking was better executed..."

I could go on and on. There is a big enough sample size now for me to feel comfortable being of the opinion that LoMo will never live up to my first round expectations of him. The 2006 draft was DEEEEEEP in skill position talent. It's just a little frustrating knowing the whiffed so bad (so far) with that first and second rounder.

Here's an "If Only" of my own I would like to add...

"IF ONLY we had drafted Maurice Jones-Drew and Greg Jennings instead of Maroney and Chad Jackson." :bricks:

He has never proven to be durable enough to hit 200 carries. Even on pass-happy teams, he never made it.

i don't see way he could not handle 20 or 30 more att then he got last year thats only 2 more att per game

What on earth would lead you to believe that this guy would hold up for 200 Carries?

The closest he came was last season when they fed him 194 times from which he produced an OUTSTANDING 757y/3.9ypc with a couple of GL cough up's.

I could go on and on. There is a big enough sample size now for me to feel comfortable being of the opinion that LoMo will never live up to my first round expectations of him. The 2006 draft was DEEEEEEP in skill position talent. It's just a little frustrating knowing the whiffed so bad (so far) with that first and second rounder.

"IF ONLY we had drafted Maurice Jones-Drew and Greg Jennings instead of Maroney and Chad Jackson." :bricks:

he has been the leading rusher... im not sure with your expectations were but not all late first round picks turn into all pros the pats got lucky with Logan Mankins, Vince Wilfork, and Brandon Meriweather, most late first round picks end up never being more then just backups

Our very own coach has echoed the same things that many people around here have said about the run blocking.

Some would even argue that Joe Addai would have been a better pick for NE but who knew?

What idiot is arguing that?

Some think so,mainly Colts fans :)

After looking at some stats Joe isn't THAT bad when compared to LoMo

Addai - 861 carries for 3,525 Yards - 4.1 YPC - 42 Game Starts - 34 TDs
Maroney - 582 carries for 2,430 Yards - 4.2 YPC -14 Game Starts - 21 TDs

Amazing that Maroney has only started 14 games in his pro career - Addai has been the workhorse for the Colts while Maroney has been in the mix with RRBC all these years.

Last edited:
i don't see way he could not handle 20 or 30 more att then he got last year thats only 2 more att per game

Theoretically, there is no question he can do it. When reasonably healthy, hes been between 175-180 or so carries a year.

I kinda liken him to a pitcher who can never go over 190 innings, make 30 starts a year or go over 6 innings per start. For one reason or another, he can't do it.

:eek: Oh no 6 more carries last year and he would have fallen apart! Thankfully they held him out of the last game, otherwise he'd have evaporated! /sarcasm

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence...

I will once again pose the question, why has BB not attempted to find a "lead" runningback for 5 friggin years? I don't know but maybe, just maybe, BB believes that having 2+ solid RBs to split the load is BETTER for this team.

"The best is yet to come'- LoMo

Great. Talk is cheap, so to quote FM radio stations around the US, "Less talk, More (pounding of the) Rock!"

Dear, Lawrence: Run the damn ball North-South with intensity and conviction, not like you're carrying your aunties hummel collection!

....And HOLD ON to that ball, b*tch!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back